• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. My thoughts on this and why i dropped it.

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
4 weeks ago#11
SenpaiGamer17 posted...
asiacatdogblue posted...
Seriously, why do people complain about Mario having a story structure, but are okay with Kirby having one?

Does Kirby have one?

More than Mario gets.

And lo and behold, it doesn't detract from the gameplay at all.
What doth life?

User Info: McmadnessV3

McmadnessV3
3 weeks ago#12
Pity none of the Kirby stories are actually all that good.

Or any of the Mario games that have stories. People always say "Mario could easily have a story" and my response is yeah, but that doesn't mean it would actually be a story worth a s***.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.

User Info: PastaPlankton

PastaPlankton
3 weeks ago#13
McmadnessV3 posted...
Pity none of the Kirby stories are actually all that good.

Or any of the Mario games that have stories. People always say "Mario could easily have a story" and my response is yeah, but that doesn't mean it would actually be a story worth a s***.
Paper Mario TTYD story was good

McmadnessV3
3 weeks ago#14
If by good you mean a very basic by the numbers jrpg storyline then yes it was "good"

If by good you mean a story that stands on it's own 2 legs that people would remember even if it didn't have the Mario branding, then no.
This sig loves you.

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
3 weeks ago#15
If by good you mean a very basic by the numbers jrpg storyline then yes it was "good"

If by good you mean a story that stands on it's own 2 legs that people would remember even if it didn't have the Mario branding, then no.

You're so full of s***. TTYD's characters and world is widely considered one of the best in the genre, and the only reason you keep denying it is because then you'd have to admit that the series has potential to be interesting if they'd stop deliberately holding it back.

There's a reason people hated the stripped-down crap that Sticker Star provided.
What doth life?

McmadnessV3
3 weeks ago#16
Uh, by who? Whenever I hear about great jrpg worlds and stories it's usually stuff like Dragon Quest V, various shin megami tensei games and their various spin offs, various final fantasy's (mostly 6 and 7) just to name a couple.

Most Paper Mario fans in my experience are not well knowledged on the jrpg genre as a whole and don't realize just how generic and cliched most of the PM characters and stories really are.

Which is not surprising, Paper Mario is an entree level rpg series, not the best it has to offer.
This sig loves you.

PastaPlankton
3 weeks ago#17
McmadnessV3 posted...
Uh, by who? Whenever I hear about great jrpg worlds and stories it's usually stuff like Dragon Quest V, various shin megami tensei games and their various spin offs, various final fantasy's (mostly 6 and 7) just to name a couple.

Most Paper Mario fans in my experience are not well knowledged on the jrpg genre as a whole and don't realize just how generic and cliched most of the PM characters and stories really are.

Which is not surprising, Paper Mario is an entree level rpg series, not the best it has to offer.
Mario RPGs have some of the most personality I've ever seen in any video game... and trust me I've been exposed to a lot.

Even Super Mario RPG for the SNES was otherworldly characteristic and hilarious. The game that supposedly "aged poorly"

McmadnessV3
3 weeks ago#18
Yeah so have I and for the most part it's mostly just a lot of typical anime/jrpg tropes. Even the comedy is pretty routine stuff.
This sig loves you.

PastaPlankton
3 weeks ago#19
McmadnessV3 posted...
Yeah so have I and for the most part it's mostly just a lot of typical anime/jrpg tropes. Even the comedy is pretty routine stuff.
What do you think of Earthbound and Mother 3?

Mother 3 is one of the most well written games of all time, possibly even more well written than TTYD.

Do you think Mother 3 is typical Anime and JRPG tropes?

Because RPG Mario games quirkiness remind me of Mother stuff.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

McmadnessV3
3 weeks ago#20
I like those games quite a bit, due to their urban nature they have a more unique flavour than most jrpgs I've played.

Mario rpgs are mostly just parodies of common fantasy tropes (when written properly) but the PM series often wrote itself too seriously resulting in some very tired and generic storylines. SPM being the worst offender of this.
This sig loves you.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. My thoughts on this and why i dropped it.
  • Post New Message