• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. My thoughts on this and why i dropped it.

User Info: SenpaiGamer17

SenpaiGamer17
4 weeks ago#1
Dont get me wrong. The game is gorgeous. The gameplay is so unique and it has things and ideas ive never seen in any game before. So gameplay is 👌🏽.

BUT

The worlds despite being varied are really lackluster. Its like go to kingdom A. Okay. Now to to B. Okay. Now go to C. okay. Now go to D. okay but why do i care about doing any of this?

Super Mario O is my first true Mario game and its fabulous from a gameplay is graphical prespective. But the world layout and story sucks.

Okay story is the main reason im dropping it. The plot is very obvious from the get go. I already know what mario is doing by going to various kingdoms and the game hasnt even told me yet.

Defeat browser and rescue peach. Blaa blaa blaa.

I generally got to the end off kingdom 4 and was like. Why am i even playing this. Sure its FUN. But it isnt engaging.

So im dropping it. Sad to say.

But i have to admit three things.

Maaan oh maan i got Zelda BOTW VIBES. Even the GUI and style is similar!

And SMO joins bloodstained and my friend Pedro as three games i personally think are great if you want brainless fun. But they arent very engaging.

Lastly, considering this was my first mario game. Im not disappointed. Sure im dropping it cause of its crappy plot. But im excited to see what SMO2 will be like. And if they add an actual good story. Ill be down to pick it up

User Info: puppy

puppy
4 weeks ago#2
You wouldn’t have survived in the NES days. Also lol at trying to find story in a Mario game. I’d completely drop the series if they favored any kind of story over its classic gameplay.

Imagining some endgame speech from Bowser, as he talks about all the ways he manipulated you in his pursuit of the princess, just...ugh. Now I’m questioning the existence of this topic haha.
You look under puppy's message.
You find a potion!

SenpaiGamer17
4 weeks ago#3
puppy posted...
You wouldn’t have survived in the NES days. Also lol at trying to find story in a Mario game. I’d completely drop the series if they favored any kind of story over its classic gameplay.

Imagining some endgame speech from Bowser, as he talks about all the ways he manipulated you in his pursuit of the princess, just...ugh. Now I’m questioning the existence of this topic haha.

Well i untill this week had never played a mario game excluding MK7 and MK8.

Zelda BOTW was also my first Zelda and it was fantastic.

SMO is fun. Gets boring a few kingdoms in tho and the lack of a engaging plot put me off. Definately NOT a bad game at all. Id rate it good. And i recomend it to anyone who wants some mindless fun
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
4 weeks ago#4
I mean that's literally every single 3D Mario game, unfortunately. Miyamoto makes sure of that. Odyssey is actually relatively story heavy, believe it or not.
What doth life?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: PastaPlankton

PastaPlankton
4 weeks ago#5
If you want writing, play Mario RPGs.

Mario & Luigi games in particular gives Mario and Luigi a lot of personality, a unique sense of humor that's f***ing hilarious, and a very strange but lovely brotherly synergy and interactions that's just awesome.

Characteristically and humor-wise, they're well written.

Paper Mario games are ESPECIALLY well written.

User Info: NimbusSkye

NimbusSkye
4 weeks ago#6
Gameplay >>>>>>> story. Stay away from Mario and watch a movie if you're interested in the latter.
3DS FC: 1221-0399-7115
FE Fates My Castle ID: 12097-00776-95917-49127

SenpaiGamer17
4 weeks ago#7
NimbusSkye posted...
Gameplay >>>>>>> story. Stay away from Mario and watch a movie if you're interested in the latter.

Thats the plan.

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
4 weeks ago#8
NimbusSkye posted...

It's such a shame that people take on this attitude, because Mario could so effortlessly pull off both if they'd just let it but instead people have this close-minded view that story must come at the expense of gameplay, which needlessly allows Nintendo to get away with being lazy in the writing department.
What doth life?

User Info: asiacatdogblue

asiacatdogblue
4 weeks ago#9
Seriously, why do people complain about Mario having a story structure, but are okay with Kirby having one?

SenpaiGamer17
4 weeks ago#10
asiacatdogblue posted...
Seriously, why do people complain about Mario having a story structure, but are okay with Kirby having one?

Does Kirby have one? Never liked that series
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. My thoughts on this and why i dropped it.
  • Post New Message