Worst 3D Mario game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Worst 3D Mario game?

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
6 months ago#31
DiogenesKC posted...
it's sunshine, no question

it's not a horrible game to play casually, but the more you play the more problems show themselves, and it simply does not live up to the standard set by other Mario games

This.

But it's still my favourite.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: manta53

manta53
6 months ago#32
TacticalCactus posted...
It’s time for the trolls to troll. It’s time for the subjective to become objective. Which one of these well received games is in fact complete and utter trash that only an inbred spider monkey with extra chromosomes for hands would even consider enjoying?

3d world and 3d land shouldnt be in the poll, there side scrollers.

User Info: MabMyCatHasAHat

MabMyCatHasAHat
6 months ago#33
Super mario 64 always felt like the one that has the least variety in mechanics.
My favorite word is "concur". I'm sure you are glad to know that.

User Info: SilentDarkway

SilentDarkway
6 months ago#34
Cheeze_E_Breath posted...
squirrel_boy posted...
64 easily. people have a real nostalgia boner for it but it has not aged well. all the other games have only improved on it.

This. I honestly don't like SM64 at all. Later games just do a much better job at everything. Control, camera, graphics, gameplay, you name it.

Great for its time? Sure. Great now? Hell no.

64 still has the best mobility, free running, and possibilities and player imposed experimentation in the series. Plus the most techs.
--------------------------
Wake me up when you need me; in other words wake me up when a true successor to Super Mario World happens-----------

User Info: lovbbws

lovbbws
6 months ago#35
Sunshine def for me but i dont hate any of them and i dont count 3-D land..... i really liked that and im not sure what genre that fits into exactly lol

User Info: squirrel_boy

squirrel_boy
6 months ago#36
SilentDarkway posted...
Cheeze_E_Breath posted...
squirrel_boy posted...
64 easily. people have a real nostalgia boner for it but it has not aged well. all the other games have only improved on it.

This. I honestly don't like SM64 at all. Later games just do a much better job at everything. Control, camera, graphics, gameplay, you name it.

Great for its time? Sure. Great now? Hell no.

64 still has the best mobility, free running, and possibilities and player imposed experimentation in the series. Plus the most techs.

the only thing i cant disagree with you on is techs because i dont really know what that is. all those other things are done better in the other games. but opinions are opinions

SpunkySix posted...
squirrel_boy posted...

It has aged poorly but at least it's more interesting than the dull NSMB retread that 3DL was.

3DL would probably be my next choice. it was fun but pretty generic.

User Info: strawhatmonty97

strawhatmonty97
6 months ago#37
I don't have anything against it, but I had to vote 3D land. I put 160 hours into it but it seems so much smaller than the other ones. Which maked sense but to still makes it less outstanding.

Every single 3D Mario is good though
Switch FC-2552-0382-5723
PSN- Mariostop97 (my friend named it not me.)

User Info: singhellotaku

singhellotaku
6 months ago#38
if we are including 3d world and 3d land, which we shouldn't since they are still individual levels rather than bigger worlds with individual stars/moons/whatevers within them I'd say 3d world, which just never really spoke to me for some reason.

Of the ones that follow 64's template? sunshine, by a country mile, though I do like sunshine all the same.
Just shut the hell up and talk about games, im so tired of the politics of gaming...

User Info: SuperJoshi07

SuperJoshi07
6 months ago#39
They're all excellent titles, among the best in the business, but the worst by current metrics in my opinion is probably Sunshine. The controls are wonky, the missions get repetitive, the central new mechanic (FLUDD) I think is only okay when contrasted to gravity/spinning/space, traditional 2D Mario in 3D, and capture/hat stuff. That's not to say it's remotely a bad game. Just that while I'd put Galaxy 2 at 10/10, Galaxy 1 at 9.8, Odyssey at 9.6, 3D World at 9.5, 3D Land at 9.2, and 64 at a Nostalgia/10, Sunshine is *only* a 9.
... What?

User Info: Ruffled_Ferret

Ruffled_Ferret
6 months ago#40
albertojz356 posted...
Someone explain why Sunshine didn’t shine.

In my opinion, it's because there are certain levels that are an absolute pain due to fake difficulty. Examples: the Pachinko shine in Delfino Plaza (This level has awkward controls and completely nonsensical physics.), the "Chuckster" shine in Pianta Village (This level requires you to understand exactly how npc's move and position themselves when they are spoken to, which is, in my opinion, an incredibly unintuitive and otherwise meaningless concept in terms of the remainder of the game, not to mention how annoyingly-precise you must be with the stage's gimmick.), and the water lily river ride shine in Delfino Plaza (Every detail of this mission makes it seem as if it was purposefully built to be the most inconveniently-designed level of the game, from the contrast in physics of the hover nozzle and the lily pad's movements to the antagonistically-placed warp pipe at the end of the level that restarts you back in the plaza and forces you to endure the minutes of waiting required to get to the stage in the first place. This is perhaps my least favorite level of any video game I've ever played.).
Along with this, collecting all of the 240 blue coins in order to complete the game 100% is an unnecessary journey of a chore, and the rewards for doing so are not worth the time required to do so at all.

These are a few of my biggest reasons for why I dislike this game as much as I do. I don't necessarily hate this game or think it's even a bad one, but it does not "shine" to my like the others in the series do. No game is perfect, obviously, and I could easily list at least one level from most any Mario game that is painful to play or disappointing to some degree, but with Sunshine it just seems like the developers didn't make the best decisions in a lot of different areas.

Despite all of this, I will say that I think The Manta Storm boss is perhaps one of the most well-designed boss fights of any game I've played. Also, this is only one of a handful of games I can recall that utilized the Gamecube controller's pressure-sensitive shoulder buttons in a meaningful way.
3DS FC - 3582 9166 2237
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Worst 3D Mario game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived