• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Terrible controls.

User Info: Tkmajing

Tkmajing
1 year ago#1
This game seriously has one of the worst controls of all time. What settings i should change to make this game more playable? Enjoying everything else so far except anything related to moving or shooting.
You can't have a nightmare if you never dream.

User Info: wildstrike1516

wildstrike1516
1 year ago#2
I agree. I was super bummed to see no innovation here. I've heard switching to first person helps while inside buildings.
"the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?" - Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment
(message deleted)

User Info: NakedSnake1986

NakedSnake1986
1 year ago#4
kentuckybob posted...
Taken from - https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369

"Red Dead 2 continues Rockstar’s longstanding rejection of the notions that input response should be snappy, that control schemes should be empowering and intuitive, and that animation systems should favor player input over believable on-screen action.

Pressing a button in Red Dead 2 rarely results in an immediate or satisfying response. Navigating Arthur through the world is less like controlling a video game character and more like giving directions to an actor. Get in cover, I’ll tell him, only to see him climb on top of the cover. Did I press the button too late? Did my button-press register at all? Dude, get down, I’ll cry, as his enemies begin to open fire. He’ll slowly wheel around, then slide down to the ground with an elaborate stumbling animation. GET IN COVER, I’ll command, pressing the “take cover” button for what feels like the sixth time. He’ll haul his body weight forward, then finally crouch behind the wall.

Navigating this world is arduous, heavy, and inelegant. Even the simple act of picking an object up off the floor can require two or three moments of repositioning and waiting for an interaction prompt.

Over and over it favors believability and immersion over convenience. Looting an enemy body instigates an involved animation that takes several seconds to complete. Washing your character requires you to climb into a bath and individually scrub your head and each of your limbs."

And taken from - https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/red-dead-redemption-2

"For all of the significant improvements Red Dead 2 has made to an open-world template, however, it still maintains Rockstar’s bullish commitment to a clunky control scheme Studios like Naughty Dog have proven capable of giving characters a consequential sense of weight without making it a challenge to navigate around a table or requiring you to hold down buttons to move at acceptable speeds."

OUCH

Many modern games, but R* especially are just outright clunky. No amount of production, graphics, famous VA's or whatever, will compensate for CLUNKY and unresponsive gameplay.

This has been my complaint since GTA 4 but even GTA 4 wasn't as bad as Max Payne 3, RDR1 and GTA 5. I really don't know why the controls can't be responsive like in the new tomb raider games. Imagine having that type of control.
https://i.imgur.com/1076HTU.gif

User Info: midnyghtsson265

midnyghtsson265
1 year ago#5
Is it the beginnings snow that you mean or movement in general? Feels great to me.

If youre talking about how hard it is to maneuver in snow...I like it.
Currently playing: GTA: Online, No Mans Sky, PUBG, State of Decay 2, Red Dead Redemption 2.

Tkmajing
1 year ago#6
midnyghtsson265 posted...
Is it the beginnings snow that you mean or movement in general? Feels great to me.

No, just talking controls in general. They are sluggish,slow,unresponsive and everything takes too long.

User Info: midnyghtsson265

midnyghtsson265
1 year ago#7
Tkmajing posted...
midnyghtsson265 posted...

No, just talking controls in general. They are sluggish,slow,unresponsive and everything takes too long.

Oh damn.
Currently playing: GTA: Online, No Mans Sky, PUBG, State of Decay 2, Red Dead Redemption 2.

Tkmajing
1 year ago#8
I got this game at morning about 10 hours ago and now finally i managed to find settings that makes this game playable, still not good, but playable.

User Info: masterspy007

masterspy007
1 year ago#9
I have always like the control in Rockstars games. It adds a certain amount of believably that I want out of my gaming experience. They do usually take a few hours to get good at but once that is done, I control the character just like any other.
XBOX Live Gamertag: masterspy007
PSN ID: mtbatey

User Info: XGalt

XGalt
1 year ago#10
Tkmajing posted...
I got this game at morning about 10 hours ago and now finally i managed to find settings that makes this game playable, still not good, but playable.

So what did you change?
GT/PSN: GnuX
Friend Code: 2423 2338 8193
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Terrible controls.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A