• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. NEW PLAYER TIPS & BASIC HELP

User Info: GSid

GSid
4 weeks ago#1
•READ THE STICKIED TOPICS AT THE TOP OF FORUM. The game was released on 10/18. Most if not all the information has been discovered, posted, discussed. I also suggest searching older topics. Here’s the most basic and helpful info for those of you who are extremely late to the party:

• Disable auto save. Enable manual save.

SAVE OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. After every mission. Finding a unique item. Random encounter. Breaking in a horse. Getting a perfect pelt. Etc.

• The graphics are fine. They’re not broken. Instead of complaining on the internet about them. Look at what suits the type of TV you have. Then adjust according to your preference.

• The controls AREN’T clunky. It’s you. This isn’t Call of Duty, Minecraft, or Fortnite. The controls are meant to be slower. It’s designed that way. If it frustrates you that much. I recommend quitting.

• Sometimes the weapon you select on horse back gets left on your horse. This has been going on since launch. It’s not new, it’s a bug that hasn’t been fixed. NOT game breaking. Just make an adjustment.

• As you progress you will be able to purchase better weapons. Most are chapter locked.

• Cleaning your guns isn’t that difficult. Use gun oil. If you’re too lazy for that, you can always go to a gunsmith and have him do it.

YES! Fast travel Exists. If you’re not peasant poor and have good money making skills. Use the trains & stage coaches. Once you purchase the fast travel map for your camp, you can then fast travel to destinations(towns) that you have visited in person.

NO! The fast travel system from the first red dead redemption does not exist. The point of this game is to enjoy the story/environment. Not rush through it to go play your “backlog of ________ games”

• You don’t need a bunch of gold bars early in the game for money. Only fence the gold bars that are not related to the treasure hunter/map challenges. Use https://rdr2map.com/ to find respawnable Large Jewelry Bags, Money Stacks, Gold Nuggets, Jewelry.

• If you’re worried about paying off bounties, kill the bounty hunters that come after you. It won’t add to your bounty amount, and the bounty hunters usually have good lootable items & money.

• If you’re afraid of losing honor. Once you unlock fishing. Catch fishes and throw the fishes back. Fastest way to increase honor.

• Fishing is not broken. It’s you. It’s a poorly designed feature, but not broken. You just need practice. I suggest a YouTube guide if you’re too lazy to practice.

• Learn how to craft/cook Big Game (Thyme, Oregano, Mint). Once crafted you can eat them. Big Game Thyme gives you gold dead eye cores for a day, Big Game Oregano gives you gold stamina cores for a day, Big Game Mint gives you good health cores for a day.

• You don’t need to use Potent: Health Cure, Snake Oil, Bitters. Sell then at a doctors office whenever you can. Use Open: Health Cure, Bitters, Snake Oil. They will fill up your bars, but not give you gold cores. If you eat the seasoned big game meat, you won’t need gold cores.

Continued.....
You're entitled to your own opinion. You're not entitled to your own facts. B4 you create a topic, use the Search Topic feature. Anti-MicroTransaction
(edited 4 weeks ago)

GSid
4 weeks ago#2
  • None of the Repeater Guns should ever be used for hunting. Read the stickied topics about what animals require what weapon.
  • You can explore most of the map. Nothing is locked except for West Elizabeth(That’s where Blackwater is kids!)
  • You can unlock the Fence’s in Rhodes & Saint Denis in Chapter 2. Another Fence location will unlock at Emerald Ranch when you progress.
  • Gold Bar Glitches/Horse Glitches we’re patched in 2018. If you have a unpatched disk version of the game. You can find the info on YouTube.
  • Its possible to miss certain stolen hats, weapons, interactions, notes, letters, collectibles. SAVE OFTEN.
  • If you’re in the process of bonding a new horse. Anytime you “hitch horse”, brush and pat your horse. Gives you a boost in the bonding process.
  • You can’t run at your camp. If it’s an issue for you. It’s not the game. It’s you.
  • Interact with gang members at camp as much as possible. You’ll get some unique dialog and camp requests.
  • If you don’t want the game spoiled, STAY OFF YOUTUBE & MESSAGE BOARDS. The game was released in 10/18. The only way to avoid them, is to remove the variable from the equation.
  • The honor system isn’t broken or the wanted system. If you loot an innocent civilian, you’re going to lose honor. If you kill an innocent civilian around a group of people, you’re going to lose honor and get wanted(even if you wear a bandanna or mask. If you kill a domesticated animal you will lose honor. If you kill a domesticated animal around people, you will lose honor and get charged for animal cruelty.
  • The best way to learn or enjoy the game is to try & fail. Posting a ton of questions or asking for others to try something for you will not help your experience or improve your gameplay.

Thats pretty much all I could think of for the new players. Veterans can add what I missed
You're entitled to your own opinion. You're not entitled to your own facts. B4 you create a topic, use the Search Topic feature. Anti-MicroTransaction

User Info: Bleakwail

Bleakwail
4 weeks ago#3
GSid posted...
* None of the Repeater Guns should ever be used for hunting. Read the stickied topics about what animals require what weapon.
* You can explore most of the map. Nothing is locked except for West Elizabeth(That’s where Blackwater is kids!)
* You can unlock the Fence’s in Rhodes & Saint Denis in Chapter 2. Another Fence location will unlock at Emerald Ranch when you progress.
* Gold Bar Glitches/Horse Glitches we’re patched in 2018. If you have a unpatched disk version of the game. You can find the info on YouTube.
* Its possible to miss certain stolen hats, weapons, interactions, notes, letters, collectibles. SAVE OFTEN.
* If you’re in the process of bonding a new horse. Anytime you “hitch horse”, brush and pat your horse. Gives you a boost in the bonding process.
* You can’t run at your camp. If it’s an issue for you. It’s not the game. It’s you.
* Interact with gang members at camp as much as possible. You’ll get some unique dialog and camp requests.
* If you don’t want the game spoiled, STAY OFF YOUTUBE & MESSAGE BOARDS. The game was released in 10/18. The only way to avoid them, is to remove the variable from the equation.
* The honor system isn’t broken or the wanted system. If you loot an innocent civilian, you’re going to lose honor. If you kill an innocent civilian around a group of people, you’re going to lose honor and get wanted(even if you wear a bandanna or mask. If you kill a domesticated animal you will lose honor. If you kill a domesticated animal around people, you will lose honor and get charged for animal cruelty.
* The best way to learn or enjoy the game is to try & fail. Posting a ton of questions or asking for others to try something for you will not help your experience or improve your gameplay.

Thats pretty much all I could think of for the new players. Veterans can add what I missed

Awesome stuff, dude. Thank you for helping me over the long haul, along with your patience with me as well.

This topic is a fantastic contribution, and it shows your caring side.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together for people.

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
4 weeks ago#4
Requested a sticky

User Info: Bleakwail

Bleakwail
4 weeks ago#5
Me too.

User Info: KJBDEFENDER

KJBDEFENDER
4 weeks ago#6
GSid posted...
* None of the Repeater Guns should ever be used for hunting. Read the stickied topics about what animals require what weapon.
* You can explore most of the map. Nothing is locked except for West Elizabeth(That’s where Blackwater is kids!)
* You can unlock the Fence’s in Rhodes & Saint Denis in Chapter 2. Another Fence location will unlock at Emerald Ranch when you progress.
* Gold Bar Glitches/Horse Glitches we’re patched in 2018. If you have a unpatched disk version of the game. You can find the info on YouTube.
* Its possible to miss certain stolen hats, weapons, interactions, notes, letters, collectibles. SAVE OFTEN.
* If you’re in the process of bonding a new horse. Anytime you “hitch horse”, brush and pat your horse. Gives you a boost in the bonding process.
* You can’t run at your camp. If it’s an issue for you. It’s not the game. It’s you.
* Interact with gang members at camp as much as possible. You’ll get some unique dialog and camp requests.
* If you don’t want the game spoiled, STAY OFF YOUTUBE & MESSAGE BOARDS. The game was released in 10/18. The only way to avoid them, is to remove the variable from the equation.
* The honor system isn’t broken or the wanted system. If you loot an innocent civilian, you’re going to lose honor. If you kill an innocent civilian around a group of people, you’re going to lose honor and get wanted(even if you wear a bandanna or mask. If you kill a domesticated animal you will lose honor. If you kill a domesticated animal around people, you will lose honor and get charged for animal cruelty.
* The best way to learn or enjoy the game is to try & fail. Posting a ton of questions or asking for others to try something for you will not help your experience or improve your gameplay.

All good stuff. Especially the part about trying and failing. That's where saving, trying some thing, failing and reloading the save, helps greatly with the learning curve, with minimal consequences.
I don't understand why some people ask others to try things for them when they can just play the game and enjoy learning, by doing it themselves.
RDR2, "Now THAT'S a fish." Arthur Morgan
FO4, "Side Quests, Side Quests never changes."

User Info: shadowgendo

shadowgendo
4 weeks ago#7
thank you for addressing alot of the stuff that people claim are bugs or glitches.

only one i can think of to add is the "MY PELTS BUGGED?? ITS NOT A PERFECT PELT" claim that is usually user error from not doing head shots with the proper weapon or hitting a non 3-star animal

make this topic sticky
http://i.imgur.com/BwadWzE.gif

GSid
4 weeks ago#8
  • Never pick up any “worn” weapon. Even when you clean them, they won’t be at full strength because they Wornnnnnnnn. Did you ever notice why enemy aim is so terrible!?!? It’s because they’re using worn weapons most of the time.
  • Pay attention to the in game messages that pop up in the upper left hand corner. They’re there for a reason. They give if useful info on how to play the game.

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
4 weeks ago#9
A note on the pop-up messages.
They did a better job with them in the first game.
If you missed them you could go into the journal brief or something like that and read them afterwards.
You don't have the opportunity of that in RDR2 unfortunately.

User Info: KJBDEFENDER

KJBDEFENDER
4 weeks ago#10
As soon as you enter Chapter 2, make getting the Legendary Buck asap. You take the Legendary Buck antler to a fence and he will craft you a Buck antler trinket. This trinket improves your chances of getting 3* pelts/hides and carcasses from a kill. Sometimes 2* animals will give you a 3* pelt.

Second priority is to buy a 22cal varmint rifle and 50cal Springfield rifle so you can collect the 3* pelts you'll need for Pearson, the camp cook, to make you upgraded satchels. Look through his satchel menu to make a list of all the animals you'll need, to get all the satchels. Your goal is to unlock the Legend of the East satchel. Once you get that satchel, you don't have to worry about your satchel being too full to collect stuff you find or loot. Nothing more frustrating than to read the message that your satchel is full and you can't carry anymore of that item.
RDR2, "Now THAT'S a fish." Arthur Morgan
FO4, "Side Quests, Side Quests never changes."
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. NEW PLAYER TIPS & BASIC HELP
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers