• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. I messed up bad on first playthrough, should I start over?

User Info: reevil123

reevil123
2 months ago#1
So I got this game and got through the first chapter. On the second chapter, I messed up bad. I took a side-mission to kill four people right away, before I took any main missions at the camp. Not realizing I had to do things at the camp to keep it in good shape, I spent all my time hunting down and killing those four people.

So I go back to camp and it is in shambles. Everything is red, people are pissed off. I realized I should have held off on side-missions until I learn everything about the camp so I could take care of it properly but I didn't. Is there a way to restart from the beginning of chapter 2, or should I just start back at the beginning?
READ ME!

User Info: BeefEaster

BeefEaster
2 months ago#2
No need to start over.

The camp is supposed to be like that in the beginning.

You'll eventually get access to a donation box and camp ledger where you can buy stuff for the camp.

User Info: Jackson7777

Jackson7777
2 months ago#3
TL/DR - NO, DO NOT START OVER

TS/NMI - I am not sure if it has ever been mentioned before here,
but it is a good idea to use all 15 save slots the game gives players.

Use 5 of them for "rolling" short term saves.
Use 10 of them for long term perma-saves.

Use the rolling 5 slots to save every time you do something good. Use # 1 for the first good thing you do... then use the #2 slots for the next thing... then 3... 4... 5 and then after #5 overwrite #1.

It should take some time to roll through all 5 and it will insure that you keep what you did if/when you make a huge mistake. Simply reload a short term save from "not too long ago".

Use the other 10 save slots for long term perma-saves. Use 2 save per chapter. Use one when you start a new chapter and another one about 1/2 way through the chapter. This allows you much much much later to go back to an earlier point and do things different.

If you had done this from the start you would a fresh save from the very start of chapter 2....
versus facing the possible horror of going all the way back to the start of the game.

In answer to the question... NO, DO NOT START OVER. You can recover and build up camp and then keep it all going. Of course you can restart, but I would not wish that chapter one on anyone... it sucks.

I suggest right now turn off the auto-save... skim through the menus to find the 15 save slots.... make a long term perma-save NOW.... and start doing the rolling 5 saves from now on.

User Info: Damitol

Damitol
2 months ago#4
You didn't mess up, this happens when away from camp for long periods of time. Do the first mission for Strauss, that will unlock the ledger, and then buy supplies.

If you're short on cash, go to Limpany(down the hill from camp), seach the town, and sell what you find to the Fence in Rhodes.

You might want to manual save multiple times in case you do actually mess something up.

User Info: KJBDEFENDER

KJBDEFENDER
2 months ago#5
All good advice from above posts. DON'T GO THROUGH THE HASSLE OF STARTING OVER.
This playthrough is salvageable. Hunt, bring meat, carcasses to Pearson. Do Strauss mission to unlock Donation box and Ledger that you'll find outside Dutchs tent once it's unlocked. Then you can buy ammo, medicine, and can goods for the camp and the red icons will turn yellow, then white.
FO3&NV, "War, war never changes."
FO4, "Side Quests, Side Quests never changes."

User Info: FoxyAreku

FoxyAreku
2 months ago#6
Jackson7777 posted...
TL/DR - NO, DO NOT START OVER

TS/NMI - I am not sure if it has ever been mentioned before here,
but it is a good idea to use all 15 save slots the game gives players.

Use 5 of them for "rolling" short term saves.
Use 10 of them for long term perma-saves.

Use the rolling 5 slots to save every time you do something good. Use # 1 for the first good thing you do... then use the #2 slots for the next thing... then 3... 4... 5 and then after #5 overwrite #1.

It should take some time to roll through all 5 and it will insure that you keep what you did if/when you make a huge mistake. Simply reload a short term save from "not too long ago".

Use the other 10 save slots for long term perma-saves. Use 2 save per chapter. Use one when you start a new chapter and another one about 1/2 way through the chapter. This allows you much much much later to go back to an earlier point and do things different.

If you had done this from the start you would a fresh save from the very start of chapter 2....
versus facing the possible horror of going all the way back to the start of the game.

In answer to the question... NO, DO NOT START OVER. You can recover and build up camp and then keep it all going. Of course you can restart, but I would not wish that chapter one on anyone... it sucks.

I suggest right now turn off the auto-save... skim through the menus to find the 15 save slots.... make a long term perma-save NOW.... and start doing the rolling 5 saves from now on.

This is just overkill and I can't imagine someone will actually use all those save slots even if they intend to. I didn't have any problem just beating the game with one save either. You can't really screw yourself THAT bad unless you try to.
http://www.youtube.com/c/foxyarekuandcanas
Check out my youtube for guides and gameplays.

User Info: iSystem

iSystem
2 months ago#7
Exactly what everyone is telling you. I'm the beggning of chapter 2, your camp is supposed to be broke. All three icons will be red until you unlock the ledger. Don't even worry about it too much.
Also, having manual saves after doing something important is a godsend. Learn to use your saves. That way you will never have to do a total restart.
Before unlocking the ledger, you'll notice you're pretty much the only one donating to the camp funds. Even after you unlock the ledger, you're still pretty much the only one putting any real money in.
It's only until you upgrade Dutch's quarters when others will start making any substantial donations. You can check the ledger to see what everyone else is contributing. While you're putting in 2 dollars here, 5-15 dollars there, others are putting in 80¢, 42¢, 1$, etc. After upgrading Dutch's cabin you'll start seeing the amounts increase.
In short, don't restart, it's supposed to be like that in the begging of chap 2.just keep playing.

User Info: Jackson7777

Jackson7777
2 months ago#8
iSystem posted...
Exactly what everyone is telling you. I'm the beggning of chapter 2, your camp is supposed to be broke. All three icons will be red until you unlock the ledger. Don't even worry about it too much.
Also, having manual saves after doing something important is a godsend. Learn to use your saves. That way you will never have to do a total restart.
Before unlocking the ledger, you'll notice you're pretty much the only one donating to the camp funds. Even after you unlock the ledger, you're still pretty much the only one putting any real money in.
It's only until you upgrade Dutch's quarters when others will start making any substantial donations. You can check the ledger to see what everyone else is contributing. While you're putting in 2 dollars here, 5-15 dollars there, others are putting in 80¢, 42¢, 1$, etc. After upgrading Dutch's cabin you'll start seeing the amounts increase.
In short, don't restart, it's supposed to be like that in the begging of chap 2.just keep playing.
Right on and great tip/info on donating to get other people giving too. And the more everyone donates the happier camp seems.

iSystem posted...
While you're putting in 2 dollars here, 5-15 dollars there, others are putting in 80¢, 42¢, 1$, etc. After upgrading Dutch's cabin you'll start seeing the amounts increase.
I found it kind of hilarious (and puzzling) to see what, how much and the types of things various camp members donated... but I always smiled and thought "hey, its the thought that counts" :)

User Info: iSystem

iSystem
2 months ago#9
Jackson7777 posted...
iSystem posted...
Right on and great tip/info on donating to get other people giving too. And the more everyone donates the happier camp seems.

iSystem posted...
While you're putting in 2 dollars here, 5-15 dollars there, others are putting in 80¢, 42¢, 1$, etc. After upgrading Dutch's cabin you'll start seeing the amounts increase.
I found it kind of hilarious (and puzzling) to see what, how much and the types of things various camp members donated... but I always smiled and thought "hey, its the thought that counts" :)

Yeah me too haha. Love seeing someone donating 1 feather. Like cmon, seriously? You put one lousy feather Into the collection box?

User Info: KJBDEFENDER

KJBDEFENDER
2 months ago#10
iSystem posted...
Jackson7777 posted...
iSystem posted...

iSystem posted...

Yeah me too haha. Love seeing someone donating 1 feather. Like cmon, seriously? You put one lousy feather Into the collection box?

Or 1 bat wing! Really? Not even the other wing, or the whole bat?
There are herbs, plants, deer, turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels running around less than 100 yards from camp. Down the hill from camp is a river with herbs, plants, fish, ducks and geese. So yeah, 1 feather, 1 bat wing, and 80 cents DOES count as what their thoughts are toward the well being of the gang. Not much, or else there would be an abundance of meat for the stew and pelts to sell for money going into the donation box. This gang is full of free loaders, like Uncle and the Reverend. But hey, they're all family, ya gotta love um.
FO3&NV, "War, war never changes."
FO4, "Side Quests, Side Quests never changes."
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. I messed up bad on first playthrough, should I start over?
  • Topic Archived