• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. I know I should like RDR2... but I don't. Help me like it!

User Info: shoryureppa773

shoryureppa773
1 month ago#1
I loved Red Dead Redemption for the PS3. And I want to love this one, too - really badly. It sure is beautiful... sometimes I just ride around on my horse ('Lil Sebastian) and enjoy the vistas.

But I am not enjoying the gameplay, like, at all.

My biggest complaint is that there isn't any story to speak of yet. The new trend in gaming - that I'm sure you all love and won't sympathize with me at all for disliking - is the 'open world' experience. But what that feels like to me is that you have no sense of purpose, just meandering around randomly, hoping something interesting happens. I prefer relaxed linearity, like in Witcher III. You can't just do anything, and there's an overarching story (and multiple subplots) to keep you focused... but there's lots of things you can stop and do along the way if you like, and you can explore as you like within a proscribed area. This game... it's too much unstructured sandbox for me.

I wish there was more stuff to do at camp.

The game is also super-fiddly. The wheels are not intuitive for me. Flipping between weapon types and tools and healing items on the fly is not simple. And as much as I appreciate being able to buy, make, or find 9000 kinds of food and gum and alcohol and drugs and plants and recipes and clothes... the cognitive load is a little much.

Even though we've been playing for 30 hours or so, we're only like 17% through the game. So I'm hoping there's just so much more good stuff to come that I don't even realize how great it's gonna get.

Can we maybe skip the comments where you say, predictably, "if you don't like it, don't play it" and instead a) reassure me that the story picks up in Chapters 3 and beyond and/or b) give me some pointers on how I might enjoy the game more? Like I said, I really want to. What's the thing that got YOU really into it? Maybe I'll go do that.

Thanks in advance,

S

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
1 month ago#2
Game with deep story has no story guiz please help
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

User Info: BeefEaster

BeefEaster
1 month ago#3
no story?

this is one of if not the most story focused open world game I've ever played
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/004_zpskcg7thdf.jpg

User Info: ILoveTrackbikes

ILoveTrackbikes
1 month ago#4
Yeah ths one definitely makes everything more complicated but it follows the same formula that made rdr1 contender for game of the generation.

Just follow the yellow mission icons like you did with rdr1 forget about all the added fluff.

Like with the food you can just disregard all that canned stuff and grocery addons and live off venison then big game for stat upkeep. Herbs make them +Health, +Stamina, +Deadeye now.

All that ammo stuff doesn't really matter, just pick up /buy regular ammo It does the job like it does in the first game. I play around with it though for lols. Explosive bullets makes for some funny kills. Incendiary shotgun shells ....... Ever heard the phrase "light em up!" :)

I find Chewing tobacco (tobacco potion) & food combo best and always pick up indian tobacco for the deadeye potion you can make. Everything else no need for it so you can just forget it exists. Less clutter makes for simplier straighforward gameplay.

If you want to freshen your palate do the odd companion mission or seek out a white stranger mission. Some have interesting chains.

Thats about it. Don't bog yourself down with the added extras cuz you really don't need it to complete this fantastic game. I get why they added all that stuff though. Makes a world feel lived in, breathable etc etc A VR mode would just intensify the roleplay you could do with this game.
We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!

User Info: res1999

res1999
1 month ago#5
just wrote this in another thread:

res1999 posted...
try to find a good mix. Do a mission, then ride to the next one furthest away and get distracted by strangers or other discoveries along the way, maybe pick one equipment piece or something from the trapper and hunt/search for the required items, look into shacks you haven't been in, play some minigames, talk to people in towns, focus on one challenge, etc. There is so much to do. Most of all, play for fun, and just do what you want to do, and don't feel pressured to go from mission to mission. I think that wasn't the intention of R* anyway... :)

during my first play, I pretty much went from mission to mission with the odd stranger encounter in between. Did some chores, hunted, cooked, crafted, bought stuff, basically just to get the hang of things. Once I've finished, I immediately started the second game, and with the knowledge I have now, I'm spending so much more time in each chapter. I know what food works best and can ignore the rest, know my preferred weapons, know how to get enough money... it's all about enjoying the world now. Maybe this works for you, too. Most of all, don't worry about the story. It will definitely pick up!
You, sir, are a fish!

User Info: CADE FOSTER

CADE FOSTER
1 month ago#6
Dynedux posted...
https://imgtc.com/i/HXEuaL9.jpg https://imgtc.com/i/xZ5hGDm.jpg
https://imgtc.com/i/UZiqG9l.jpg

shoryureppa773
1 month ago#7
Dynedux posted...

Haha, literally the first response is pointless, unhelpful, garbage. You gotta love the internet. Dynedux: if wasting your time and energy making fun of an internet stranger for having an opinion different than yours makes you that happy... hey. You must really need this. I'm so sorry, guy. I'm open to other insults; I want you to feel okay about yourself. I'm short for a guy -- maybe there's something there for you?

So, I happen to disagree. As of Chapter 2, the story is: "something bad went down in Blackwater! Let's save up some money and maybe we'll move on some day." That is... no story. Also, know that there are entire threads to how boring people find this game. For example, I found a whole reddit page about it while waiting to hear from you guys. So now you have hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people to go mock. How exciting! ...I think things might really be turning around for you.

shoryureppa773
1 month ago#8
during my first play, I pretty much went from mission to mission with the odd stranger encounter in between. Did some chores, hunted, cooked, crafted, bought stuff, basically just to get the hang of things. Once I've finished, I immediately started the second game, and with the knowledge I have now, I'm spending so much more time in each chapter. I know what food works best and can ignore the rest, know my preferred weapons, know how to get enough money... it's all about enjoying the world now. Maybe this works for you, too. Most of all, don't worry about the story. It will definitely pick up!

I think I'm in the stage of trying to figure out what food works best, what my preferred weapon is, and how to get enough money! Feel free to share your insights here, so I can start "enjoying the world now" too! =)

shoryureppa773
1 month ago#9

Just follow the yellow mission icons like you did with rdr1 forget about all the added fluff.

Like with the food you can just disregard all that canned stuff and grocery addons and live off venison then big game for stat upkeep. Herbs make them +Health, +Stamina, +Deadeye now.

All that ammo stuff doesn't really matter, just pick up /buy regular ammo It does the job like it does in the first game. I play around with it though for lols. Explosive bullets makes for some funny kills. Incendiary shotgun shells ....... Ever heard the phrase "light em up!" :)

I find Chewing tobacco (tobacco potion) & food combo best and always pick up indian tobacco for the deadeye potion you can make. Everything else no need for it so you can just forget it exists. Less clutter makes for simplier straighforward gameplay.

If you want to freshen your palate do the odd companion mission or seek out a white stranger mission. Some have interesting chains.

Thats about it. Don't bog yourself down with the added extras cuz you really don't need it to complete this fantastic game. I get why they added all that stuff though. Makes a world feel lived in, breathable etc etc A VR mode would just intensify the roleplay you could do with this game.

This is good stuff, thanks! It's simplifies matters for me. And I sure agree with a VR mode... geez, you'd have a hard time getting me out of the VR glasses if this existed, though! It's like a vacation in the old West!

User Info: res1999

res1999
1 month ago#10
shoryureppa773 posted...

I think I'm in the stage of trying to figure out what food works best, what my preferred weapon is, and how to get enough money! Feel free to share your insights here, so I can start "enjoying the world now" too! =)

for food go for the big game meat, cooked with thyme or mint, which gives you solid yellow cores. Weapons really come down to taste. I mostly use the Lancaster or Lichfield rifles, and if I go for handguns, the Schofield is my weapon of choice. You really have to try what works best for you.

As for money, I did all the treasure hunts as soon as possible to get me some gold bars. Also there's the one in the burnt sherriff's office in Limpany which respawns over time. Sell the stuff you hunt (skin all animals as it gives you meat AND fur/pelts for selling) and collect. I found alligators in the bayou an easy target; they don't usually move, you find lots of 3* there. Bring a second horse so you can stow two skins at once. Also look for houses and shacks to rob or loot, you will often find jewelry or other valuables there (and some of them also respawn).

If you bother with the camp ledger, there's a rule that a 20$ donation from time to time gives you enough honor and keeps the camp happy. No use in donating more.

And I recommend to go for the satchels that Pearson crafts for you. It's not that hard to do, and you'll get lots of animals to sell on the way!

Enjoy the world! ;)
You, sir, are a fish!
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. I know I should like RDR2... but I don't. Help me like it!
  • Topic Archived