• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Necessary Weapons and Ammo for Acquiring Perfect Pelts

User Info: Mr Penguin 007

Mr Penguin 007
10 months ago#1
Small Animals – Bow using Small Game Arrows

(Small animals include rats, bats, crabs, squirrels, chipmunks, bullfrogs, toads, snakes, blue jays, cardinals, robins, woodpeckers, and other small species of birds.)

Moderate Animals - Varmint Rifle and 0.22 ammo

(Moderate animals include beavers, iguanas, gila monsters, rabbits, armadillos, badgers, muskrats, possums, racoons, skunks, birds of prey, and other large species of birds.)

Medium Animals – Normal arrows, poison arrows, throwing knives, poison throwing knives, repeater ammo, any rifle ammo except explosive, and any sniper ammo except explosive.

(Medium animals include coyotes, foxes, pigs, etc... It's safer just to treat these like Large Animals and use a Rifle or a Bow with Regular/Poison Arrows)

Large Animals – Normal arrows, poison arrows, poison throwing knives, any rifle ammo except explosive, any sniper ammo except explosive.

(Large animals include snapping turtles, small alligators, boars, bucks, cougars, panthers, big horn rams, wolves, deer, pronghorns, goats, sheep, etc...)

Massive Animals – Poison arrows, improved arrows, poison throwing knives, any rifle ammo except explosive, shotgun slugs, and any sniper ammo except explosive.

(Massive animals include bears, bison, bulls, elk, moose, ox, cows, and big alligators. Anything with a pelt that can only be stored one per horse.)

Having the Bow+Varmint Rifle setup will cover all perfect pelts. Bow for Small and Medium to Massive game, and a Varmint Rifle for Moderate.

And as long as you're getting headshots with Varmint Rifle it will one-shot all human enemies, plus it has a faster fire-rate than most weapons.
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas
(edited 10 months ago)

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
10 months ago#2
Good job

Mr Penguin 007
10 months ago#3
Will you guys request a sticky if you feel this information is worthy of it?
(edited 10 months ago)

User Info: Natural510

Natural510
10 months ago#4
You can also use the varmit rifle for small birds if they’re flying (almost impossible with arrows) when hunting for perfect pelts.
Red Dead Online: "It's like single player, but worse in every way". - guerillakidney

Mr Penguin 007
10 months ago#5
Natural510 posted...
You can also use the varmit rifle for small birds if they’re flying (almost impossible with arrows) when hunting for perfect pelts.

Only if you have Buck Trinket and you plan on shooting a bunch. 0.22 ammo will degrade small birds.

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
10 months ago#6
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
Will you guys request a sticky if you feel this information is worthy of it?

Yea i did that just now👍
(edited 10 months ago)

User Info: wulfman75

wulfman75
10 months ago#7
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
Natural510 posted...

Only if you have Buck Trinket and you plan on shooting a bunch. 0.22 ammo will degrade small birds.

every bird I did for the hunters challenge I used the varmit rifle. I do have the trinket of course but as long as they were at least 2 star I always got a perfect. I find the trinket works great for smaller game. Just hunted 10 rats for that last trapper hat (well except for the bull gator clothes because I can't hunt that yet) and 10/10 perfect with the small game arrows. don't think I found a 3* in the lot.

Mr Penguin 007
10 months ago#8
@wulfman75 Nice! I actually like the rat hat. But yeah Buck Trinket works really well on small animals and decreases in efficacy as the animals get larger. Almost impossible for it to work on massive game.

User Info: PumpkinBelmont

PumpkinBelmont
10 months ago#9
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
Natural510 posted...

Bird don't give pelts any way.

User Info: philsjwfu

philsjwfu
10 months ago#10
This is really useful. My jimmies are a little rustled since I love using the bow and can't use it for beavers and other animals in that category, but so it goes
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Necessary Weapons and Ammo for Acquiring Perfect Pelts
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers