• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Problem with the open world stuff is I don't feel compelled to do any of it

User Info: Cybersai

Cybersai
4 weeks ago#1
I finished Red Dead Redemption 1 nearly completely. But this time around it just feels like all the stuff I've already seen before, and you do most of it in the main story missions anyway:

- Bounties? We did it in the main story

- Gang shootouts? It's in the main story

- Fishing, hunting, crafting, etc....it's all in the main story missions

- Collectables, treasure maps, etc...all just tedious collect-a-thon stuff

I did all the Stranger Missions of course, played all the minigames like the playing cards and stuff at least once, watched all the movies, but everything else? Eh

It feels weird because I guess unlike back in 2010, all this stuff is commonplace now and I feel like I've done it so many times over in other games.

User Info: KJBDEFENDER

KJBDEFENDER
4 weeks ago#2
Cybersai posted...
I finished Red Dead Redemption 1 nearly completely. But this time around it just feels like all the stuff I've already seen before, and you do most of it in the main story missions anyway:

- Bounties? We did it in the main story

- Gang shootouts? It's in the main story

- Fishing, hunting, crafting, etc....it's all in the main story missions

- Collectables, treasure maps, etc...all just tedious collect-a-thon stuff

I did all the Stranger Missions of course, played all the minigames like the playing cards and stuff at least once, watched all the movies, but everything else? Eh

It feels weird because I guess unlike back in 2010, all this stuff is commonplace now and I feel like I've done it so many times over in other games.

Maybe you are a "One and done" player, then move on to the next challenge. Not a criticism, just an observation based on your post.
I enjoy doing those things over and over, like hunting, fishing, gang shootouts and random occurrences.
FO3&NV, "War, war never changes."
FO4, "Side Quests, Side Quests never changes."

User Info: blood_n_gore

blood_n_gore
4 weeks ago#3
TC,
I’m curious to know what activities you’d want, that would be consistent with the time and location... because most sandbox games fall victim of this situation

User Info: Cybersai

Cybersai
4 weeks ago#4
Well maybe it's because I'm playing Resident Evil 2 now, which is a linear game for the most part, but I really don't enjoy re-doing the same thing with slight variations over and over again in most open world games.

In RE2 everything is one and done besides replaying as the other character.

User Info: Nukedollar

Nukedollar
4 weeks ago#5
I quit!!!. I spent countless hours finding items and completing missions and then, challenge 9 of the herbalist. You have to find all 43 herbs all over again. I already hadthis completed before this was unlocked. Had i known this was going to be a mission, i would not have been tracking those already. This makes it not even worth playing. I seen this as a relaxation game to play up until this point. This was enough to kill it for me. I mean come on Rockstar, you can definitey do better. The spoiler alert would have been well approved. I'm not a soft dude but my feelings were hurt by this. I almost felt betrayed.

User Info: GoldenFace

GoldenFace
4 weeks ago#6
Nukedollar posted...
I quit!!!. I spent countless hours finding items and completing missions and then, challenge 9 of the herbalist. You have to find all 43 herbs all over again. I already hadthis completed before this was unlocked. Had i known this was going to be a mission, i would not have been tracking those already. This makes it not even worth playing. I seen this as a relaxation game to play up until this point. This was enough to kill it for me. I mean come on Rockstar, you can definitey do better. The spoiler alert would have been well approved. I'm not a soft dude but my feelings were hurt by this. I almost felt betrayed.

Yeah that challenge is bs.
I miss old school instruction booklets.

User Info: Atzenkiller

Atzenkiller
4 weeks ago#7
Cybersai posted...
Well maybe it's because I'm playing Resident Evil 2 now, which is a linear game for the most part, but I really don't enjoy re-doing the same thing with slight variations over and over again in most open world games.

In RE2 everything is one and done besides replaying as the other character.

And RE2 is also very short from what I've heard. I'd much prefer a game that has tons of side content that I can ignore if I want, rather than one that has none and is finished in 10-20 hours.

User Info: WhillB

WhillB
4 weeks ago#8
Nukedollar posted...

If you saw this, and wanted a "relaxation game" why would you give a s*** about that challenge?

I don't get why people frustrate themselves for fake "trophies" or 100%ing a game.
Bing, Bang, Boom... Squish?

User Info: Beyond01

Beyond01
4 weeks ago#9
Speaking of the treasure hunts. So I got the Walton gang treasure map, (I think that’s what it’s called) the one with three maps leading to one another... and I was kind of baffled by how little info they give you as to where the location is.

I understand that the whole point and fun of it is to find it, based on the drawings of the map. But the world in the game is so huge! It would be like finding a needle in a heystack. So I guess the developers thought you should just play the game and one day you’ll see something that looks like the area on the map by chance?

I used a guide to find the treasure and it was still fun. I just don’t know how I would have done it without a guide.
Here we go

User Info: res1999

res1999
4 weeks ago#10
Nukedollar posted...

I actually did this one on the side while riding to the next story point, or from one town to the other, or just during casual exploring. Just activate eagle eye from time to time, and when a herb shows up, pick it. It's not really that much of a thing. It helps if you've already started the challenge before the exotics quest, as those orchids are pretty rare and count towards the challenge. Only backdraw is that you can't see which plants you already picked for the challenge. I'm still missing 5, and as far as I know, there are only 4 exclusive to the epilogue (am still in Chapter 5), so I will probably have a good time searching for that last one... :(
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Problem with the open world stuff is I don't feel compelled to do any of it
  • Topic Archived