• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Have I missed something obvious.

User Info: WinterPhoenix

WinterPhoenix
2 months ago#1
I can't start the mission 'The Goats and the Sheep'. I have finished everything up to Pouring Forth Oil IV, as well as 'We Loved Once and True' and the first 3 debt recovery missions for Herr Strauss. According to the PowerPyx mission order I w
am following the mission should be doable now. But not only will the mission not show up, I can't find John anywhere, not at the auction house in Valentine or in the camp, he has disappeared.

Whatever this is, it's not the Polite Society bug as it hasn't affected any of the other characters, nor had it affected John himself prior to Pouring Forth Oil, he was always easily found before then.

User Info: Jackson7777

Jackson7777
2 months ago#2
I am not sure, but maybe if have a bounty? or committed a recent crime? Some things are shut off when that happens
(message deleted)

WinterPhoenix
2 months ago#4
So it should show up if I finish and turn in the debt that will take me to the Downes Ranch? That was gonna be my next move, but I had to stop playing after floundering around for ages, figured I'd ask around to make sure it isn't a game breaking glitch.

I turned in the 3 previous debts, but I do have a mission marker for the Downes ranch, the order I am using said nothing about having to turn in that mission as well, just said I have to finish Pouring Forth Oil IV, so I was very confused. Especially because John simply can't be found anywhere atm. I guess he's supposed to be at the Valentine auction house but I need to turn in Strauss' mission to make him show up? I hope so anyways.

User Info: StockpileThomas

StockpileThomas
2 months ago#5
WinterPhoenix posted...
So it should show up if I finish and turn in the debt that will take me to the Downes Ranch? That was gonna be my next move, but I had to stop playing after floundering around for ages, figured I'd ask around to make sure it isn't a game breaking glitch.

I turned in the 3 previous debts, but I do have a mission marker for the Downes ranch, the order I am using said nothing about having to turn in that mission as well, just said I have to finish Pouring Forth Oil IV, so I was very confused. Especially because John simply can't be found anywhere atm. I guess he's supposed to be at the Valentine auction house but I need to turn in Strauss' mission to make him show up? I hope so anyways.

You don't have to do debt mission to unlock John's Goat and Sheep one (can confirm this 100% as i left the Downes debt as the very final mission of ch2), but you need to finish Pouring Forth Oil and complete the final part of that robbing the train.

If that doesn't do it check the map, you might have a yellow mission marker somewhere else that needs to be done (Strawberry maybe). Rule of thumb is just do all yellow main missions to unlock the next main mission, can do them in any order. Also if you can't find gang members at camp it might be because they are at the yellow marker waiting to do the mission, like John could be waiting at the Pouring forth oil job and that why he's not in Valentine or at camp.

WinterPhoenix
2 months ago#6
Yeah that's why I am so confused by all this, because I have finished Pouring Forth Oil, I robbed the train and before we parted ways John told me he was going to Valentine to see what he can find in the way of jobs, suggesting I should be able to start the Goats and Sheep mission. But he isnt there, he isn't at camp, he's vanished, and the only yellow mission I have on the map now is Downes ranch.
(message deleted)

User Info: StockpileThomas

StockpileThomas
2 months ago#8
WinterPhoenix posted...
Yeah that's why I am so confused by all this, because I have finished Pouring Forth Oil, I robbed the train and before we parted ways John told me he was going to Valentine to see what he can find in the way of jobs, suggesting I should be able to start the Goats and Sheep mission. But he isnt there, he isn't at camp, he's vanished, and the only yellow mission I have on the map now is Downes ranch.

Is there an icon (greyed out) in Valentine where John should be? Other things i can think of, Micahs missions should be 2 near strawberry one after the other, Mary Linton mission you need to read a letter at camp, the 1st bounty mission should be pretty obvious in Valentine and i think it's optional. If you done all those there should be nothing stopping you doing John's next one. Can't be Downes as i was able to leave that until after John Sheep and Goats mission.

WinterPhoenix
2 months ago#9
Yep I have also done 'We Loved Once and True', the Mary Linton mission you get for reading the letter on his table. As for Micah, no other missions of his have showed up after breaking him out of jail. There's no greyed out icon for John, nor is there one for Micah for that matter. Literally the only other things in the map I have left to do are Downes Ranch and the optional Valentine Bounty mission, that's it. Hence the confusion, because as you say from experience Thomas, the Downes mission shouldn't be necessary according to every guide.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Have I missed something obvious.
  • Topic Archived