• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Is RDR2 A Great Game?

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
2 months ago#1
Is the overall experience of RDR2 great / excellent ? - Results (273 votes)
Yes - overall it was an awesome experience
80.59% (220 votes)
No - I was let down
8.79% (24 votes)
Meh - it was fun but had too much issues for me to put it up there
10.62% (29 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Ladies and gents! Enough time has passed and the hype has died down.

What is your overall verdict?

For me it's a yes vote.

Of course, the game is NOT perfect and it has its issues. No such thing as a perfect game.

However, I had such an amazing time with it despite them all. This is definitely one of my favourite games of all time.

User Info: epicfailtryhard

epicfailtryhard
2 months ago#2
i am curious as to whether or not it is worth buying for the single player campaign alone. not a fan of how the mp works on gta. at all.
"in times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."-george orwell

User Info: Otterz4Life

Otterz4Life
2 months ago#3
epicfailtryhard posted...
i am curious as to whether or not it is worth buying for the single player campaign alone. not a fan of how the mp works on gta. at all.

Took me 70 hours to beat the single player chapters and epilogues. Im still doing bounty posters, stranger missions and treasure hunts.

Well worth the money. No question.
GT: Otterz4LIFE

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
2 months ago#4

It is definitely well worth it. I'm someone who prioritises single player over MP every time.

The single player campaign is an extensive experience. It's not a short story let me tell you that much. Take your time, travel the map, get to know other characters, hunt, rob, etc. So much to do. You'll have fun.

User Info: Jackson7777

Jackson7777
2 months ago#5
Of course it is a great game.

Just expect to slog around for the first bunch (10 hours) of game play before you start to get the hang of things. Or maybe you get "get it" right away, it took me a while. I moaned groaned and complained (to myself, I NEVER did it online) about WTF is this slowazzed crap??? I kept wondering when does the rootin tootin shootin action jackson kung fu fightin&killin all the bad guys start?

And it took a while, but kept I trusten R* and a Billion Dollars in video game sales that it would be good... sooner or later.

So I waited and waited and slogged through the wtf-ness. I was so bad at dead eye that I KNEW it had to be me and sooner or later I would get it (MOST of the videos on youtube supposedly explaining dead eye are full of BS nonuseful info, they dont tell it like it is) and sooner or later the game had to get good. And it does, but you have to wait for it.

And understand some parts are too realistic.The old West was a lot of slogging around, nuthin goin on AND THEN BOOM!!! When the action takes off it is pretty good. Just be ready for it, or you will die... you will die over and over and over... you will be killed so many ways in this game.... killed by so many things in this game. It is hilarious. Other parts of the game are sadly not realistic... but... that is the way things are.

Anyway....
Buy the ticket, take the ride, it starts slow but sooner or later it comes into its own.

One thing I would suggest is unplug from the internet when you load the single player so you can take advantage of the money glitches... so when you are sick of being poor you can glitch up and pay off all the crap you want to pay off so you can get on with the fun... or not. I did that and it worked, but some people say the update (which I knew it would give.. and I wanted no part of that) fixed the glitches.

I am not sure what happens when I do go back online... but I aintagoin back till I be dun playin thishere old timey western game.

PS
Do all your camp chores and maybe look up ways to increase your dead eye ASAP. The game play kind of expects you be good at it... even though it never gives you much help or practice to learn, but sooner or later, maybe 40 hours in I finally successfully "painted" my first multi-head shots in a row. No thanks to any video. I just kept trying it, it kept not working AT ALL!!! and I kept trying and trying and trying and dying and dying... and then it happened.

Now if I can just remember to pack up and carry along my bow and arrow (dynamite arrows, flame arrows) before the next fire fight starts... itzgunnabegood. Dem boyz are in for a sprize or two.

TL/DR Nah, skip this game, it sucks.

User Info: icelt

icelt
2 months ago#6
Otterz4Life posted...

Took me 70 hours to beat the single player chapters and epilogues. Im still doing bounty posters, stranger missions and treasure hunts.

Well worth the money. No question.

Yup.

I've probably put in about the same about of time and just arrived at Chapter 4.
PSN: icelt
"Do not spray into eyes. I have sprayed you into my eyes." alt-J

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
2 months ago#7
It should have been great, it seemed like it really wanted to be great... but for me it just wasn't. There were too many little things. Interface and control, quality of life issues.
Not being able to hang on to the last weapons you had when you left your horse (unless you intentionally ride around on a non-main horse which is what I would strongly suggest any new player do). Missions hard coded to play out a certain way no matter how you perform. Missions taking weapons from you so it can give you a different weapon in that slot which you might not even want to use. Guns being switched back to normal ammo at random.
Game keeps telling you to hurry through missions, even when there really isn't any need to rush based on what's going on.
Empty world syndrome. So much space, so little point to most of it.
Busted economy that sucks any possible fun out of just making money by whatever means.
"No running in the halls" syndrome is hardcore strong with this, as the game keeps putting the handbrake on you whenever you're in camp and at other random times in missions ect.
Just flat out bad "end boss" scenario/"fight".
Buggy, broken event scripting which ends up making the game think you did things that you didn't and vice versa.

On the whole it plays like a game that should've been worked on for another few months before being released.
I judge everyone based on their sig. If you wanna judge me for that, go ahead.

User Info: vanille987

vanille987
2 months ago#8
Meh, insane story and a good next step in dynamic open worlds.
But the mediocre gemeplay holds that back, some mechanics are also pretty flimsy (bounty/wanted system for example) and some realistic aspects are more annoying then immersive.
The actual open world is on the empty side too tbh.

User Info: BillyMays

BillyMays
2 months ago#9
Yes, unmatched Quality that will take a while for the rest of the industry to catch up to
Billy Mays Here Breaking Your Back

User Info: vanille987

vanille987
2 months ago#10
BillyMays posted...
Yes, unmatched Quality that will take a while for the rest of the industry to catch up to

Story yes, gameplay it is already catched up on imo.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Is RDR2 A Great Game?
  • Topic Archived