• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Getting perfect skins is really frustrating

User Info: PutHaggarInSF

PutHaggarInSF
1 week ago#1
I've got the trinket, I'm using the right gun and ammo type, just head shot a 3 star deer and when I went to skin it it was 2 stars. Anyone have any tips?

Can you not use deadeye and get a perfect skin?
I never revisit topics I post in. http://i.imgur.com/Venml45.gif
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos XBL/PSN/NNID: aGeorgeDivided

User Info: HighOnSolar

HighOnSolar
1 week ago#2
It’s as simple as how you just explained. Either your aim isn’t as good as you think it is, you didn’t use the right weapon, or you trampled it with your horse going to go pick it up.
Surf

User Info: Cruddy_horse

Cruddy_horse
1 week ago#3
HighOnSolar posted...
It’s as simple as how you just explained. Either your aim isn’t as good as you think it is, you didn’t use the right weapon, or you trampled it with your horse going to go pick it up.
equo ne credite!

User Info: BHux

BHux
1 week ago#4
3 Star deer just takes a shot to the head from the Springfield rifle. That should drop it in it’s tracks and keep pelt in perfect condition. Even a regular arrow to the head will work.

User Info: tomo012

tomo012
1 week ago#5
TC, I just made a topic that helps with this issue. Look into getting the legendary buck trinket. It will help.
-The biggest oxymoron ever is an open-minded liberal.

User Info: Gogen_Ryuku

Gogen_Ryuku
1 week ago#6
I use bows on deer. I've found that if I shoot with a rifle head on, the pelt degrades in value. I was wondering if maybe the bullet "traveled" past the head, causing the damage to the pelt.

User Info: fallenKlNG

fallenKlNG
1 week ago#7
For deers/bucks, I only need a regular arrow headshot for a perfect pelt. I typically use dead eye, but you don't have to if you have a really good angle/shot. I will say that when I tried to use dead eye with my rifle, Arthur shot it like several times and turned my 3-star into a 1-star pelt. I don't know how to control that, and I just started using the bow from then on.

For deer, if you're really frustrated and just want to get a perfect pelt, use the cover scent to make it less frustrating. It doesn't last very long, so I'd only use it once you spot your 3-star deer and maybe save right before just in case you waste it and mess up. This should allow you to get close enough to get a good headshot. If you wanna do what I did, use dead eye with an arrow for a headshot.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is, but people say to use the call command to make it raise it's head. Pretty sure you don't need to do this if it's head is already raised, but if it's lowered, that might be the cause of a headshot turning it into a 2-star? Just to be on the safe side, I usually call it if it's head is lowered, then immediately use dead eye.
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561

User Info: Gogen_Ryuku

Gogen_Ryuku
1 week ago#8
fallenKlNG posted...
For deers/bucks, I only need a regular arrow headshot for a perfect pelt. I typically use dead eye, but you don't have to if you have a really good angle/shot. I will say that when I tried to use dead eye with my rifle, Arthur shot it like several times and turned my 3-star into a 1-star pelt. I don't know how to control that, and I just started using the bow from then on.

For deer, if you're really frustrated and just want to get a perfect pelt, use the cover scent to make it less frustrating. It doesn't last very long, so I'd only use it once you spot your 3-star deer and maybe save right before just in case you waste it and mess up. This should allow you to get close enough to get a good headshot. If you wanna do what I did, use dead eye with an arrow for a headshot.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is, but people say to use the call command to make it raise it's head. Pretty sure you don't need to do this if it's head is already raised, but if it's lowered, that might be the cause of a headshot turning it into a 2-star? Just to be on the safe side, I usually call it if it's head is lowered, then immediately use dead eye.

You definitely are not forced to call it for a 3 star. It just helps if the deer keeps walking away from you. I've gotten tons of 3 star pelts without calling.

User Info: PutHaggarInSF

PutHaggarInSF
1 week ago#9
tomo012 posted...
TC, I just made a topic that helps with this issue. Look into getting the legendary buck trinket. It will help.

First thing in my post is "I've got the trinket".

I'm using the Lancaster repeater, normal ammo and getting headshots. No 3 stars. Definitely not trampling as I'm never on my horse when I'm hunting.

I did however just lasso a deer, knife it and got a 3 star that way. Shame I can't lasso everything.

I'll keep what you said in mind, fallen. Thanks.
I never revisit topics I post in. http://i.imgur.com/Venml45.gif
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos XBL/PSN/NNID: aGeorgeDivided

User Info: ArthurMorgan99

ArthurMorgan99
1 week ago#10
Lasso or rolling block works really well for everything but the small creatures(obvi)
  1. Boards
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Getting perfect skins is really frustrating
  • Topic Archived