• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Alliance Alive
  3. Interested in this but a few questions.

User Info: AirRoar

AirRoar
6 months ago#1
I've played a few titles of the Saga series, but I could never get into them. Basically I had a hard time figuring out where to go or what to do, plus I couldn't quite wrap my head around the leveling mechanics.

So how closely does Alliance Alive come to the Saga titles? Easier or more difficult?

Also how quick are the battles, and how grindy is the game? Do you spend a lot of time fighting to build up party members stats and to get abilities?
2019 Hype List: Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI S, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

User Info: HolyAjora

HolyAjora
6 months ago#2
As a general rule of thumb it has greater sense of direction than SaGa does. That said it should be noted it depends on where you are in the story. Ie during some parts of the story travel is more limited. During other parts of the story you can visit optional areas meaning you can go the wrong way. That said there is benefit to visiting optional areas anyway.

Also keep in mind you have multiple saves. I can't speak for the digital version, but the physical version allowed for the following. A main save to the game card, a quick save (which also goes to the game card I think) and a set of saves to the SD card. Basically this allows for safe saves. In fact there will be a few points in the game where you will want to rely on safe saves instead of the main save.

Now as for battles. There is definitely a focus on fighting. However the fighting itself is also more focused than in SaGa games in part due to talent points you gain from battles. Now obvously just the very nature of "fight battles to gain points" means fighting. However it's at least not directionless.

Ie by spending talent points to learn talents you can make characters more effective. An obvious example being this. Purchase a character talent(s) that make swords skills cheaper to use and they can use stronger sword skills more often.

Obviously talents can get costly. As a general rule of thumb, you're not meant to have any character master everything. It also means while it's not impossible to change your plans for a character, there does come a point where one should make up their mind.

Battles can be quick depending on various factors. Are you using stronger skills or just the base attacks? This goes back to talents because if you have a character that can use stronger attacks more often then battles will end faster.

The final factor effecting things is this. Just like some games, this one has a group of enemies that present a higher risk vs reward factor. Ie you're more likely to die facing them, but you also get better growth by fighting them.

SaGa is one of my favorite series which was a motivation for me getting this game. That said this game does have more direction in terms of both story progression, exploration and character growth than several titles in that series.
"The Power of Sword and Axe" Unlimited SaGa BT Ver 8.
Avatar: Sarah Carson (Romancing SaGa 3)

AirRoar
6 months ago#3
Thank you for the response. Having a bit more direction given by the story will be a good thing for me. I've played Saga Frontier and that was a nightmare trying to figure out what I needed to do.

One more question if I may, but does the game give any hints, descriptions, or direction when assigning talents, or is it completely up to the player? Mainly I would like some indication on what I may want to do with the talent points to avoid potentially messing up a characters build.
2019 Hype List: Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI S, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

HolyAjora
6 months ago#4
All talents come with descriptions definitely. As for messing up? As long as you're not trying to have a character gain talents for 5 plus weapons, you'll be fine. Really "one to two weapons" is the ideal. And for the record I include "shield" in that as well.

If you're worried that maybe some character have "hidden" weapon advantages then don't be. If my experience is any indication as long as the character you've given an "Axe" to has learned talents related to Axe, they'll be a decent Axe user over time. Axe being just an example.

AirRoar
6 months ago#5
That sounds good. It looks like a lot of the randomness of learning talents, and how stats develop was reduced then. I will have to keep an eye out for this game.

HolyAjora
6 months ago#6
On the subject of stats, the stats (other than HP and SP) are effectively fixed for each character. Save with the exception of course equipment that has a + or - effect to a given stat.

To be honest I never really studied what each stat effects. I'm also pretty sure some party members used weapons, spells, etc they didn't have the best stats for. Even so I managed to beat the game just fine.

So a character's stats should have some effect on their use with weapons for example. However in the long run, it will be more about "learning skills" and leveling up those weapon skills by using them.

In any case, quick tip for your and something I learned late in the game. It's actually possible to "seal" weapon skills that you've learned. Why is this good? Well imagine a character has learned 8 different bow skills.

However trying to level up all 8 of those bow skills would be tedious and you really only feel like using 2 of them anyway. You can seal the other 6 away to get a slight benefit.

It's been awhile since I played the game so I forget the exact benefit in terms of battle effectivness, but think of it this way. If you have skills you're not interested in using "sealed" then finding the skills you want to use in battle will be easier.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if your plan is to get the 3DS version or the upcoming HD version, but know this. If you have a 3DS, the game does have a demo. Which is fine for giving you an idea of the early game.

Whether or not, there will be a demo for the HD version remains to be seen. Also remains to be seen what changes the HD version might make beyond well HD and adjusting for the fact the HD version will only have one screen to work with.

AirRoar
6 months ago#7
The ability to seal skills sounds nice. Being in control of skills in such a manner is way better then the learn a random skill and forget a skill like some of the older titles.

Now to decide on either the Switch or PS4 version. There will probably be more announcements later so I can wait a bit before deciding.
  1. Boards
  2. The Alliance Alive
  3. Interested in this but a few questions.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers