• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List Idea: Top 10 Money Grinds

User Info: ZMythos

ZMythos
1 month ago#1
I was thinking about this today. Many games have a way to grind out millions of dollars/zenny/rupees/coins to spend on powerups, outfits, healing, abilities, rare items, etc. Sometimes it's a boss battle or enemy with a big money drop, sometimes it's farming items that sell for huge profit, sometimes it's using your own items/magic/abilities to make money appear out of thin air!

So what money grinds are the best? Which ones give the biggest payout per run? How early can you start farming money in a game? How important are shops that you want to max out your currency? Does it feel like a chore or is it somewhat engaging to do?

My gaming repertoire is limited, but I have a few games that I had in mind when thinking of a potential list.

• Mario Odyssey's big coin stacks as platforming rewards
  • Binding of Isaac: Rebirth(and its Afterbirth DLCs) have tons of ways to max out your coins such as blank card/Jera or 2 of Diamonds
  • Mega Man Battle Network 2's Undernet 5 GMDs
  • Battle Network 3's gambling and totem quest
  • Mega Man X8's metal glitch and/or the metal generator exploit on the intro stage
  • Borderlands (mainly 2 and 3) general boss farming. 2's BNKR farming.
  • The PSX Spyro Trilogy has the flights and speedways if you're looking for quick gems to pay off Moneybags
  • Lego Star Wars' stud multipliers
  • Brute Force in Dark Souls (My friend told me about this one, I don't know the details)
  • Fishing in Terraria
  • Villager trading in Minecraft
  • Bowling for Rupees in BOTW

My gaming library isn't big enough to make a really diverse list, but I'd love to pitch the idea to someone here.
Rainbow Dashing: "it's just star wars"
AutumnEspirit: *kissu*
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Keegs77

Keegs77
1 month ago#2
It's a couple different games, but the idea is the same. In FFX, you can fight against One-Eye in the Monster Arena over and over again for equipment drops, and then sell them for pretty decent Gil. Similarly, in Hyrule Warriors/Fire Emblem Warriors, you can grind for high level weapon drops from some of the high level Adventure Map/History Map and then sell them for lots of Rupees/Gold.
FFOO-609997347

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
1 month ago#3
ZMythos posted...
sometimes it's using your own items/magic/abilities to make money appear out of thin air!

So what money grinds are the best? Which ones give the biggest payout per run? How early can you start farming money in a game? How important are shops that you want to max out your currency? Does it feel like a chore or is it somewhat engaging to do?
This sounds like both a boring and interesting list.

Grinding a real life job to make money is incredibly boring. Franchises like Harvest Moon or Graduation add elements like romance or acts of God to keep things from being too monotonous (to varying degrees of success).

Sometimes games have a terrible sense of economy, forcing players to farm coins in order to even survive (Dragon Warrior games tend to be guilty of this, sending players to save-scum the lottery or look for Thunder Staff glitches; Working Design's localization of Popful Mail adds some terrible cash-scamming hurdles).

You may even get the odd money-from heaven moment (the rupee shedding hoarders from Link to the Past, the Gil Turtle of Final Fantasy).

Other times it's a matter of mechanics mastery and automation exploitation. Breath of Fire II lets you cook up gold, mixing cheaper ingredients into an expensive... Block of cash. MMO Kingdom of Loathing even had a money (they call it 'meat') glitch that created a hyper inflation forcing everyone to open their own shops and trade goods to offload all the extra meat cluttering the streets.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
1 month ago#4
I immediately thought of Tales of Berseria and the trophy required for Making a Mint.

https://www.truetrophies.com/t143385/making-a-mint-trophy
http://www.kashelltriumph.com

User Info: FiveTimesNow

FiveTimesNow
1 month ago#5
The cave with the bandit and a bunch of pots with rupees, hidden under the large rock outside the desert in ALttP.
It's available early (halfway through the 2nd dungeon) and is more reliable than the chest gambling. Maxing out your bombs and arrows costs a pretty penny so it's useful too.

User Info: Crisys

Crisys
1 month ago#6
https://dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Dragon_Quest

The Dragon Warrior gold grind is a glitch so I'm not sure if that counts. My very bad explanation: The chests were coded into an array of 8 and if you open a 9th, the game doesn't know what to do and allows you to open that chest infinitely, so if it's gold, you just got rich.

Also the A Link to the Past Hoolihan Room is interesting way to get rupees fast but since it's a one time use, I'm not sure if it can be considered a grind, but 255 rupees for "free" isn't bad.
PSN: Crisys_5k GT: Crisys5k
"Vaan would get destroyed in Blitzball, he's not even good enough for the Luca Goers." - Bunlert

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
1 month ago#7
Crisys posted...
https://dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Dragon_Quest

Also the A Link to the Past Hoolihan Room is interesting way to get rupees fast but since it's a one time use, I'm not sure if it can be considered a grind, but 255 rupees for "free" isn't bad.
Wow, learned something new about Dragon Warrior!

The Houlihan room is also kinda random to get. It's an interesting footnote though.

Not sure where Super Mario 3's coin ship or coin fortress would rank
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: Crisys

Crisys
1 month ago#8
You can force the hoolihan room consistently in a few locations.

https://youtu.be/b7i2AHjvPMg

But since I'm almost positive the rupees disappear after being grabbed once, I don't know if it would count as a grind. Food for thought anyway
PSN: Crisys_5k GT: Crisys5k
"Vaan would get destroyed in Blitzball, he's not even good enough for the Luca Goers." - Bunlert

User Info: Dark_ASKA

Dark_ASKA
1 month ago#9
Animal Crossing? There should be a couple of methods, and it's a game heavily centered around money
-Planting bell trees
-Forcing your neighbors to buy your ítems for 9999bells at the auction (AC New Leaf)
-Daily rock that gives bells (consistent)
This one is trickier, for AC Wild World. May have an equivalent in other entries
-Get the lion neighbor to come to your village. Make friends with him. Send gifts so he will give some of his furniture in exchange (most ridicously expensive set in the game)
-Buying an insurance and constantly falling while wearing Tut's mask (100bells/day, not profitable)

I'd go with the rock-hitting one, as it seems to make the more sense with your list premise's

Also, loved the megaman ideas! Lego Starwars is a great pick too. Good list premise you got there :)

User Info: ZMythos

ZMythos
4 weeks ago#10
Dark_ASKA posted...
Animal Crossing? There should be a couple of methods, and it's a game heavily centered around money
-Planting bell trees
-Forcing your neighbors to buy your ítems for 9999bells at the auction (AC New Leaf)
-Daily rock that gives bells (consistent)
This one is trickier, for AC Wild World. May have an equivalent in other entries
-Get the lion neighbor to come to your village. Make friends with him. Send gifts so he will give some of his furniture in exchange (most ridicously expensive set in the game)
-Buying an insurance and constantly falling while wearing Tut's mask (100bells/day, not profitable)

I'd go with the rock-hitting one, as it seems to make the more sense with your list premise's

Also, loved the megaman ideas! Lego Starwars is a great pick too. Good list premise you got there :)
I'm surprised you talked about all of those AC methods and didn't mention Time Traveling.

Although I don't think I'd put it in this list since it's not cheating per se, but it's also not a grind and not really in the spirit of the game.

But those are some solid ones. I think Bell Rocks and Money Trees are both viable candidates.
Rainbow Dashing: "it's just star wars"
AutumnEspirit: *kissu*
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List Idea: Top 10 Money Grinds
  • Post New Message