• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List idea: The Top 10 Minor Inconveniences

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
1 month ago#1
One of the best parts of modern gaming is convenience. More games than ever before save automatically, are streamlined to let you get back to playing as soon as possible, have skippable cutscenes, allow you to change text speed, etc. But then there are some games that didn't seem to get the memo. Most other games are doing it right, so when a game doesn't get one tiny thing wrong, it can be annoying.

The key thing would be that these would have to be very minor. And they'd be related to game systems or UI, not necessarily gameplay.

What inspired the idea was playing Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns on my 3DS. When starting the game, the main menu defaults to the "Continue" option, as it should. After you press the continue button, it asks you to choose which game to load, which is fine. Then there's a confirmation dialogue box that asks, "Load this game?" That's fine, too, although I don't think it's necessary - but the annoying thing is that this dialogue box defaults to the "No" position. So you can't mash the A button to get back into the game, as if you do, you get caught in an endless loop of "load this game? no. load this game? no." It's a minor inconvenience.

Another one would be unskippable pre-boss-fight cutscenes. I've played lots of games where, if there's a cutscene before a boss fight, and you lose the fight and continue from your last save, the game remembers that you've already seen the cutscene, and doesn't make you sit through it. Then I was playing Gato Roboto the other day, and lost twice to the first boss before figuring out his attack patterns. But that game doesn't skip the cutscene, so I had to watch it three times before I could move on. This is more annoying than other kinds of unskippable cutscenes, IMO, but it's still only a minor inconvenience because most cutscenes of this type are still quite short.
Visit the Actual Poll of the Day board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll
"Nice job with the board!" - SBAllen

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 month ago#2
That is pretty strange, most games default to “no” when saving but “yes” when loading, assuming there’s even an option when loading since there often isn’t nor should there be one.

User Info: TylerDurden101

TylerDurden101
1 month ago#3
No skippable cutscenes in FFX. One of my favorite games but it’s a chore to play through again when you can’t skip the cutscenes you watched hundreds of times before
YAHTZEE!!!!

User Info: Weird_Fetishes

Weird_Fetishes
1 month ago#4
I hate when games have a lengthy list of selection/options and won't let you automatically go to the bottom by pressing up at the top of the list.
What I want you to desire most is me. It will only cost you one thing; your silence, okay?
-A repentant seductress who just committed murder

The_Mighty_KELP
1 month ago#5
Weird_Fetishes posted...
I hate when games have a lengthy list of selection/options and won't let you automatically go to the bottom by pressing up at the top of the list.
This one is perfect.

TylerDurden101 posted...
No skippable cutscenes in FFX. One of my favorite games but it’s a chore to play through again when you can’t skip the cutscenes you watched hundreds of times before
Yeah, but that becomes more of a major annoyance and not a minor inconvenience. I mentioned pre-boss-fight unskippable cutscenes because they're typically fairly short, but having to watch them again every time you fail and have to retry the fight is minorly annoying.

User Info: HMandACFan

HMandACFan
1 month ago#6
The game Thea: The Awakening (aka Thea 1, not to be confused with its successor) has a very complicated and convoluted battle system. There are like 20+ different stats and over a dozen different battle types. But that's not my minor inconvenience.

There's an option to pick and chose which of these 20+ stats you do or do not want displayed in your character screen. But when you save, exit, and reload the game, none of this is saved and you are again shown ALL the 20+ stats again, including the ones you don't care about and spent all that time hiding the last time you played.
FFXV, FFVII, DQXI...I've had enough.
Vote with your wallet. Boycott SquareEnix.

The_Mighty_KELP
1 month ago#7
HMandACFan posted...
when you save, exit, and reload the game, none of this is saved and you are again shown ALL the 20+ stats again, including the ones you don't care about and spent all that time hiding the last time you played.
That reminds me of another one: in Skyward Sword, the first time you pick up an item, it pops up a little box explaining what it is, and Link does his traditional "hoist it up high" maneuver. Thereafter, picking up an item just sends it straight to your inventory, with no fanfare. But like the example you provide, reloading the game will reset EVERY item notification...

Keep the suggestions coming! This is an open idea that anyone can take and make a list out of. I'm working on a personal project that I'm almost done with atm, but I'm going to next make a list of Entertaining Patch Notes, and if no one's claimed this by then, I might take it. Will probably take a month, at least. =P

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
1 month ago#8
Autosaving is often a great idea except for when it's not. Some games have a habit of autosaving at the most inopportune moments that prevent you from going back. This usually happens in areas where you are just exploring around, and you do something like walk through a seemingly innocuous door that closes and locks behind you even though you weren't done exploring the area. Because of the autosave, you now can't go back to continue exploring. You could have missed a simple collectable, or you could have missed something cool like a weapon, upgrade, useful item or even something like a neat interaction between the characters that helps to explain the lore better.

The Uncharted games are good examples of this. You could pass some kind of obstacle, for example crawling under a large low hanging tree branch, but then the tree branch falls behind you after you pass under it and the game autosaves RIGHT at that point, overwriting your single save file. Oh, you were intending to explore that area a little more to look for artefacts first before progressing? Tough luck, you don't have a choice but to keep pushing forward now.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/WhitePointerGaming
(edited 1 month ago)

The_Mighty_KELP
1 month ago#9
WhitePointer posted...
Autosaving is often a great idea except for when it's not.
I think that the idea itself is extremely convenient. It's just that it can be implemented in ways that are totally dumb, and used in games that don't need it. But sub-par implementations of a good idea do not necessarily mean the idea itself is bad.

User Info: Keegs77

Keegs77
1 month ago#10
Camera controls. Just ALWAYS let me choose between normal and inverted.
FFOO-609997347
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List idea: The Top 10 Minor Inconveniences
  • Post New Message