• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List idea: Top 10 Games Saved by Updates

User Info: DDJ

DDJ
3 months ago#1
Inspired by watching the No Man's Sky Origins trailer right now...

The old Nintendo quote was "A rushed game is always bad, a delayed game is eventually good." Or something like that. But that's not true anymore because updates can radically change games.

What are some games that were radically improved by later updates?

User Info: Xeowulf

Xeowulf
3 months ago#2
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the newer one), especially when it comes to the controversy surrounding the lootboxes.

At the rate it's going, Marvel's Avengers will fit into this category. It was a total buggy mess on release, and it should be patched up better with the next update(s).
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan about the GameFAQs boards

User Info: Very_Snappy

Very_Snappy
3 months ago#3
Final Fantasy XIV
"I swear sometimes you need a ****ing lawyer to start a topic here" - Amenonuhoko
My gaming blog: http://danongames.wordpress.com

User Info: FiveTimesNow

FiveTimesNow
3 months ago#4
Arkham Knight (Broken PC port)
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn
Firefall (sort of. It was massively improved but eventually died anyway, years later)
No Man's Sky
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Same as Arkham)

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
3 months ago#5
DDJ posted...
The old Nintendo quote was "A rushed game is always bad, a delayed game is eventually good." Or something like that. But that's not true anymore because updates can radically change games.
Related:
https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2393

Assassin's Creed: Unity is a definite contender. When it first released, it was a literally unplayable, buggy mess of a game. But they fixed it, and it's now a decent title. I did a 100% run of it last year, and while it's not my favorite AC, it's at least fun in some places.
Visit the Actual Poll of the Day board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll
"Nice job with the board!" - SBAllen

User Info: Very_Snappy

Very_Snappy
3 months ago#6
I never played Mass Effect, so I don't know if "fixing" the ending of ME3 counts, but that's a possibility.
"I swear sometimes you need a ****ing lawyer to start a topic here" - Amenonuhoko
My gaming blog: http://danongames.wordpress.com

User Info: Lathe_Biosas

Lathe_Biosas
3 months ago#7
FFXIV is the clear winner in this category.

I heard FFXV got quite a few updates that made the game salvagable (I only played it at release and hated it) so that it is now more of a complete game. But then you would have 2 final fantasy games in this list (back to back numbered entries even).

DDJ
3 months ago#8
My only hesitation with FF14 is that... well, wasn't the update so big it was barely an update? Wasn't ARR basically an whole different game that they just happened to give to prior purchasers for free?

I'd still include it, but that'd be the difference between it being ranked high and low.

User Info: Xeowulf

Xeowulf
3 months ago#9
DDJ posted...
My only hesitation with FF14 is that... well, wasn't the update so big it was barely an update? Wasn't ARR basically an whole different game that they just happened to give to prior purchasers for free?

I'd still include it, but that'd be the difference between it being ranked high and low.
I would still think it counts, particularly because ARR replaces the original.
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan about the GameFAQs boards

DDJ
3 months ago#10
Xeowulf posted...
I would still think it counts, particularly because ARR replaces the original.
I'd still count it, that just determines whether it's number one or further down.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List idea: Top 10 Games Saved by Updates
  • Post New Message