• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3146: The Top 10 'Had to Be There' Games in Gaming, by darkknight109

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
4 days ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3146-the-top-10-quothad-to-be-therequot-games-in-gaming

I know it's not on the front page yet, but for a list, I can tell it's pretty good.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
4 days ago#2
Fantastic list. Very well written, informative, and brought waves of nostalgia on more than one occasion. Best list in a while.
Sorry, sorry... Just... Being a dick... Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge of ruining other people's lives...
-William Murderface

User Info: darkknight109

darkknight109
4 days ago#3
I dunno about that author, though... he seems like a real snob.
Kill 1 man: You are a murderer. Kill 10 men: You are a monster.
Kill 100 men: You are a hero. Kill 10,000 men, you are a conqueror!

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
4 days ago#4
darkknight109 posted...
I dunno about that author, though... he seems like a real snob.
Yeah! Let's tar and feather them!

In all seriousness:
This is like the previous topic, where it feels like a big in-joke to the crowd, but darkknight109 tries to curate things.

FF7 was a big attention-grabbing first entry. For me, personally, it delivered what every new-console FF game did (FF1 compared to Dragon Warrior, FF4 compared to FF1). But it was a big watershed moment for gaming considering the game's budget and how much more mainstream (and coming-of-age) titles were becoming.

Motion-controls are still here today.. sort of. From the Wii-mote to the Kinect, it's (still) leading-up to affordable wide-spread VR now. (PSVR is... a very closer work-in-progress.) And the Wii was very affordable. Also of note, is Wii Sports the last game to come bundled with a launch console? Older gamers will remember titles like Sonic (or Altered Beast), Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Crash 'n Burn, etc.

PSO is ... well, any big-name MMO hack-n-slash would have worked here. I've got EverQuest, Diablo, and World of Warcraft in my mind; though I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. (Also not mentioned -- how quickly all growing communities become dark and toxic, and how behind-the-wall private communities pop up.)

Nice nod to Pac-Man Fever (Donkey Kong isn't far behind. Oh wait, it gets its own entry), and the speed/racing puns here are the pinnacle of writing aesthetics on this list.

I have... no memories of SWG:aED. The explanation was really needed for me here, and while it doesn't fully convince me of the game's importance, it does successfully convey its scope.

"The most amazing thing ever to be created" sounds so... NintenFAQs. This entry tries its darndest to select the correct (and then shotgun) colloquialism, analogy, metaphor, simile, and cliche before settling on just explaining the introductory sandbox.

I think I know of games that have aged worse than GoldenEye... no, no I don't.

A missed opportunity to mention that Blinky, Inky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde now haunt modern day fandom as icons of gaming. (See also: Penny-Arcade)

Tech history, science-fiction, art... life eventually imitates it. The upcoming arrival of VR, the clash of a flooded mobile gaming platform, and the future of PC master race are still ahead of us. (When will these things all become baby's toys?)

Also very impressive: the word "nostalgia" (and "glasses") is used only twice in the entire article.

Games I would have liked to seen mentioned:
Asteroids or Star Wars or Tempest 2000 -- any of the vector-display arcade games.
Legend of Zelda (NES); complete with off-the-wall English advertising for no one knew how to market a non-directional action game.
Animal Crossing (Gamecube); it would have been timely considering the release of the latest franchise entry.
Metal Gear Solid (PSX); or PC's Thief for putting so much attention on the stealth aspect of games.
Street Fighter II (Arcades); Double Dragon also works here as it took multiplayer games into a very different light.
Wolfenstein 3D (PC); DOOM would kinda work (if mods weren't as prevalent) as FPS games without a jump button these days is so weird.
Command & Conquer (PC); unsure if Warcraft or Starcraft would be more apropos instead, but resource-management strategy has always been as static as the need to construct additional pylons.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: darkknight109

darkknight109
3 days ago#5
Pako Pako posted...
Motion-controls are still here today.. sort of.
They're very much niche these days, though - not the universal thing the Wii tried to make them.

Pako Pako posted...
I have... no memories of SWG:aED. The explanation was really needed for me here, and while it doesn't fully convince me of the game's importance, it does successfully convey its scope.
Well, keep in mind this wasn't about the most important games in history, just examples of games where you had to be there in order to truly understand their significance and why their players cherish them and speak highly of them.

As mentioned in the article, I could have chosen any extinct MMORPG, but I went with SWG because a) I was an avid player until they wrecked it with a pair of absolutely wretched updates in 2005, and b) It's one of the most famous and popular of the "extinct" MMORPGs.

Pako Pako posted...
"The most amazing thing ever to be created" sounds so... NintenFAQs. This entry tries its darndest to select the correct (and then shotgun) colloquialism, analogy, metaphor, simile, and cliche before settling on just explaining the introductory sandbox.
It's also, somewhat embarrassingly, incomplete, which I absolutely should have caught in my editing pass. There's meant to be another concluding paragraph there, but I didn't copy it over.

Really, though, I was trying to capture just the sheer sense of wonder of stepping into 3D space at the time. That wasn't unique to Mario 64, but that particular game was the first true 3D game a lot of players played.

Pako Pako posted...
A missed opportunity to mention that Blinky, Inky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde now haunt modern day fandom as icons of gaming.
I did say that, though. That's what I was referencing with this line: "Today, Pac-Man the franchise is nowhere near as dominant as it once was, yet the character himself - along with his ghost enemies - remains one of the most iconic and universal symbols of gaming there is, a potent sign of the game's tremendous legacy four decades after his debut."

Pako Pako posted...
Games I would have liked to seen mentioned:
"Asteroids or Star Wars or Tempest 2000" - Honestly, these games still amaze me today given when they were made. I don't think you had to be there for these ones.
"Legend of Zelda (NES)" - This one definitely fits. If I ever get in the mood to write up a sequel list, I may just put this on here.
"Animal Crossing (Gamecube)" - I don't see why you "had to be there" for this one, though. Animal Crossing, at its core, has remained almost entirely unaltered for the last ~15+ years. I haven't played the newest game, but even New Leaf was basically the same as GC Animal Crossing, just with more furniture, more villagers, and a few new and/or expanded features, like civic projects. It's as fun as it ever was.
"Metal Gear Solid (PSX); or PC's Thief" - Is that something you had to be there for, though? These were absolutely seminal titles, to be sure, and they laid the foundation for the stealth genre, but I don't see as much of a case for them being games that you had to be there to fully understand the impact of them. The first time I played MGS was nearly 10 years after it first came out and I still had a blast.
"Street Fighter II (Arcades)", "Wolfenstein 3D (PC)", "Command & Conquer (PC)" - Again, I feel like these are titles that more fit into an Important Games in Gaming History list which, while not completely unrelated from the topic I had for my list, didn't quite match what I was looking for.

For the games I picked for my list, I wanted games where it isn't readily apparent *why* these games were so cherished by their fans, unless you were around at the time. With SF2 or Wolfenstein or MGS, even though those games are outdated and somewhat primitive by modern standards, it's not hard to understand why they were so popular in their day and so important to what came after. However, when you look at something like Pac-Man 40 years on, it's easy to ask, "OK, I get games were primitive back then, but why was this game the most popular thing in the universe when it came out?"

Your idea of Zelda is a good example. It's easy to see that this game was hugely innovative, featuring the first ever save system in a console game one of the first open worlds in gaming; however, it's not immediately apparent to modern gamers just how freaking massive that world seemed at the time, or how insanely amazing it was being able to anywhere and do anything in a non-linear fashion. That's the sort of thing that you "had to be there" to fully understand.
Kill 1 man: You are a murderer. Kill 10 men: You are a monster.
Kill 100 men: You are a hero. Kill 10,000 men, you are a conqueror!
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3146: The Top 10 'Had to Be There' Games in Gaming, by darkknight109
  • Post New Message