• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3138: The Top 10 Disappointing Video Games That Had a Lot of Hype...

User Info: QuickSpinsZero

QuickSpinsZero
4 weeks ago#21
Despite negative comments, the top ten list is getting positive votes. I'm glad. However, I don't feel satisfied with this list. It's probably because I've been making remastered lists way too much. It's time to get out of the safe zone and starting writing brand new lists!

Also, I will continue to work with Emi3280, but I am open to other collaborations. I'll may even work with 91 in the future.
Spin Into The Future!

User Info: Lathe_Biosas

Lathe_Biosas
3 weeks ago#22
I like this list kinda. I think the best improvement would be to make more tangible criteria for your choices in the preface. Then you would probably get less comments on people disagreeing about certain entries than you do now. It would make it seem less subjective.

User Info: unikat

unikat
3 weeks ago#23
Hm... I think it's a decent list, Mass Effect Andromeda and No Man's Sky are definitely supposed to be on the list.

I was expecting to see Daikatana on it tho, as well as few other games. Daikatana was the first game I've remember that was full of hype and was complete trash. It was a project of John Romero, "He is best known as a co-founder of id Software and designer for many of their games, including Wolfenstein 3D, Dangerous Dave, Hexen, Doom, Doom II and Quake."

Ninja Gaiden 3 was fine, sure it wasn't on level of previous 2 games, but certainly not as bad compared to Tekken 4 vs T3 or SoulCalibur 4 vs SC2/SC3, again I don't feel like Watch Dogs belongs there, as dull as it is from time to time (other than graphics disappointment), again... Assassin's Creed had bigger disappointments, after high bar that AC2 and Brotherhood set. And that's not even how disapointing games were thanks to plethora of gamebreaking bugs and weird glitches.

Duke Nukem Forever, it took forever for game to come out, and it was garbage.

Mana series, not as much hype I guess, first 3 games were all better than the one before by a noticable margin and each game was one of the best games ever at the time they came out and then Legend of Mana, was just ok (I do actually love the game, and a lot of players pick it as favorite too), and what came after LoM was horrid.

Arkham City was one of the best action games ever made, Arkham Asylum is probably the best action game ever made, it improved on everything from Arkham City, and didn't even lose anything when it went Open World, which is huge. And then Origins and Knight... freaking Knight... from dull gameplay, introduction of batmobil, gamebreaking bugs, Deathstroke tank boss fight (which took ages to unlock), to how poor story is, and predictable and obvious for anyone half familiar with Batman.

Despite Dark Souls 2 Scholars of the First Sin being my favorite DkS, vanilla Dark Souls 2 was horrible, unfinished, unpolished, with messed up lightning system, it was just plain horrible. After Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 + expansion, vanilla Dark Souls 2... SotFS fixed majority of things in DkS2, while still leaving some unfinished (like textures in places being lazily reused, leaving whole areas feeling like you're playing Beta version of the game, sometimes it's floor, sometimes it's walls, sometimes it's both, either way... )

The 3rd Birthday, I don't want to associate this game with Parasite Eve, it's that bad, but yeah... there's not a single redeeming quality for the game, except OST, and that's thanks to PE1 OST being remixed X_x. How much hyped was it tho... dunno, but loads of players love PE1 and PE2, and I place PE2 in my Top 10 RPGs of all time. ofc there are those who dislike PE2 and don't find it natural progression to PE1, but wow...

Umbrelola Corps...

Metal Gear Survive

Evolve

Suikoden 4, again not sure about hype, due to jRPGs being more niche at that time, but as a sequel to S1-3...

Dungeon Siege 2 and onwards

Fable series past F1

Sim City (2013)

Serious Sam 2, after TFE and TSE, getting great reviews, TFE even begin GS's game of the year, SS2 75%

Crash Bandicoot PS2 era and ondwards, CB1-3 being some of the best platformers ever (still), CTR arguably the best cart racing game at the time, everything that came after ND sold IP, was horrible.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, this was supposed to be game changer, return to the old glory of THPS games (some of the best PSX era games), seriously... fans would be happy with THPS2 with new graphics, and yet they somehow managed to make an unplayable and unfixable game.

Street Fighter x Tekken

Street Fighter V (initial release)
I did intentionally leave out some things Fatal Frame 4, certain Silent Hill game, Aliens vs Predator (2010) and so on, thanks to how niche they are, but Def Jam Icon and Might No 9 are on the list too...
Sometimes in life a man is faced with. the right thing to do, and the wrong thing to do, and he only misses by one.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Emi3280

Emi3280
3 weeks ago#24
@unikat I liked your post but I noticed that you have a fact backwards. You said that Batman: Arkham Asylum came after Arkham City when it's the opposite. Asylum came out in 2009, while City came out in 2011.

Otherwise great post!
Switch FC: SW-2774-1787-6198 // PSN: MrLoneWanderer
"The two most important days in life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

User Info: unikat

unikat
3 weeks ago#25
Emi3280 posted...
@unikat I liked your post but I noticed that you have a fact backwards. You said that Batman: Arkham Asylum came after Arkham City when it's the opposite. Asylum came out in 2009, while City came out in 2011.

Otherwise great post!
Thanks^^

Yeah, sleep depravation, ofc City came afterwards lol. I mean I talk about how transition into open world didn't hurt what previous game has done (which usually dilutes experience), but names got switched around X_x
Sometimes in life a man is faced with. the right thing to do, and the wrong thing to do, and he only misses by one.

User Info: Emi3280

Emi3280
3 weeks ago#26
unikat posted...
Thanks^^

Yeah, sleep depravation, ofc City came afterwards lol. I mean I talk about how transition into open world didn't hurt what previous game has done (which usually dilutes experience), but names got switched around X_x
I completely agree that developers going for big open worlds in their games ends up hurting the final product. It hurt Final Fantasy XV to the point that it's the most hated entry in the series, and it's hurting my most played game of the moment. I've been playing Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot for well over a week, and despite loving it so far, I feel that the open world is too barren and unecessary. :(
Switch FC: SW-2774-1787-6198 // PSN: MrLoneWanderer
"The two most important days in life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
3 weeks ago#27
Well, I gotta say it was pretty nice to see Mass Effect Blandromeda on the list for once.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
3 weeks ago#28
Well, it seems that this list hasn't been on the front page for two weeks now. Just wondering.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: QuickSpinsZero

QuickSpinsZero
3 weeks ago#29
angeldeb82 posted...
Well, it seems that this list hasn't been on the front page for two weeks now. Just wondering.

My goddess, when will you learn that the admins don't care about this place anymore?
Spin Into The Future!

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
2 weeks ago#30
Agree with basically all of them but Mighty No 9.

The only problem with MN9 is the fans thought they were getting some badass Mega Man X clone when the developer just wanted to do another cutesey game in the style of the original MM series...you had a generation of fans who didn't even play those games throwing down money for a new Mega Man game and not realizing what they asked for.

The game itself is fine and is the MM clone we thought we'd get and is pretty fun to play with the cool dash mechanic and some creative bosses. It's just that Kickstarter crowd became so hostile about the direction of the game that they refused to accept any of it and everyone basically wrote "hate-reviews" for months in the time that it came out. The game was fine...it's the expectations that were out-of-whack.

Yeah good reviews and sales doesn't always equals good game. Call of Duty and Fifa proves that.

Two awful examples since both of those series have high-quality for years. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be a better example since it got 8s and 9s across the board and no one who plays the series would put it that high.

vanilla Dark Souls 2 was horrible, unfinished, unpolished, with messed up lightning system, it was just plain horrible.

Couldn't disagree more. Basic DaS2 was an excellent game...arguably better than the first. Some of the best DLC out there as well.

You're not alone. The gameplay of Other M was solid. The story left a lot to be desired but the actual gameplay was totally fine

I remember going months of not knowing if Other M was actually good since everything I read about it seemed to mostly address the plot and characters (which I didn't care much about) and never mentioned the gameplay. Was so weird how that was the only thing folks focused on.

And I'll disagree on any Arkham game suggestions. Even with some weird mechanics, they're still all very entertaining and well-made games. Nothing on the level of the other disasters mentioned.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3138: The Top 10 Disappointing Video Games That Had a Lot of Hype...
  • Post New Message