You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3101: The Top 10 Suikoden Boss Battles *SPOILERS* by Rex915

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
1 week ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3101-the-top-10-suikoden-boss-battles-spoilers

Well, I can tell that this list looks pretty good in spite of the fact that it's not on the front page yet.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
1 week ago#2
That's two serviceable lists ready to go!
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
1 week ago#3
Was not surprised to see Luca at #1 although I kind of wish it would have been 2 or 3. Before I read the list, I immediately thought the Zombie Dragon boss fight in S1 better be on there. Glad it was at least #5. A very memorable battle for me, and one that is a formidable task even when well-prepared. The final boss in S1 would have been a good honorable mention but in reading the text, the battle with Sonya is probably more consequential. Lastly, I like the Ashtwal group of bosses for S5. Even when ill-prepared, there are no real difficult fights. But the fact that you have to split your groups makes that trio very memorable - none of them are complete pushovers unlike most of the game's bosses.

I'm a sucker for Suikoden and this short, concise write up is right up my alley. Well done.

User Info: Rex915

Rex915
1 week ago#4
Hey all, my first time writing one of these lists, mostly out of love for my favorite video game series of all time. I was wondering what everyone's takes were on these lists focusing on a specific game series; I'm not sure I'm going to write any more, but if I do, they'll likely be based on specific series (those which I'm confident I have enough knowledge on).

FooFightersFan posted...
Was not surprised to see Luca at #1 although I kind of wish it would have been 2 or 3. Before I read the list, I immediately thought the Zombie Dragon boss fight in S1 better be on there. Glad it was at least #5. A very memorable battle for me, and one that is a formidable task even when well-prepared. The final boss in S1 would have been a good honorable mention but in reading the text, the battle with Sonya is probably more consequential. Lastly, I like the Ashtwal group of bosses for S5. Even when ill-prepared, there are no real difficult fights. But the fact that you have to split your groups makes that trio very memorable - none of them are complete pushovers unlike most of the game's bosses.

I'm a sucker for Suikoden and this short, concise write up is right up my alley. Well done.

Thank you for the kind words! I actually avoided final bosses entirely because I thought they were, by design, meant to be the most epic and challenging fights. And yeah, Suikoden V was my second favorite of the series but all the bosses were really not a challenge, unfortunately (the true difficulty in the game was the recruitment).

Out of curiousity, what would be first on your list if not Luca?
A bit of proofreading would have taken care of some of the typos. Also, a few of the entries could have been expanded.

Still, this was a great list with a unique theme. I jumped on the Suikoden bandwagon only a few years ago. Other than IV (dropped this one) I enjoyed reading all of the entries and reminiscing. Luca Blight at number one was a great choice.

It was an interesting idea to have the honorable mentions in the introduction.

Congratulations on your first list.
http://www.kashelltriumph.com

User Info: IceWave

IceWave
1 week ago#6
I have to give praise where it's due; this is a fantastic list for a great series that is sadly done and gone. Suikoden does have its share of tricky bosses as some can still prove challenging even with a fully outfitted team, and the first title certainly was no slouch with the bosses programmed to hit your party with their all-target moves as frequently as possible.

As Kashell stated, it could use a little bit of cleanup for typos and some further elaboration is always good. I was expecting some of the final bosses to be on there, as they certainly can be a struggle if they choose to go crazy with their party-striking specials.

Rex915
1 week ago#7
Thank you guys as well for the kind words and criticism; I agree I could've done a better job editing and cleaning up the list, as well as expanding on some entries.

Regarding the final bosses, I mention in the intro that I wouldn't include any as I felt like they would instantly take up 3-5 spots on the list right away. But yeah, were it not for that self-imposed rule, I definitely would've had them on somewhere.

Gotta say, I was expecting not very many people to appreciate the list as Suikoden is a very niche series; it's nice to see other fans around here!
Rex915 posted...
Gotta say, I was expecting not very many people to appreciate the list as Suikoden is a very niche series; it's nice to see other fans around here!

Definitely. I wrote a top ten list that had Suikoden as one of the entries not too long ago.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/3044-the-top-10-rpg-franchises-that-deserve-continuation
http://www.kashelltriumph.com

Rex915
1 week ago#9
Kashell Triumph posted...
Rex915 posted...

Definitely. I wrote a top ten list that had Suikoden as one of the entries not too long ago.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/3044-the-top-10-rpg-franchises-that-deserve-continuation

I'm not sure if this is the thread for it, but that was a great read! Very informative, and I like the way you segment each entry. Gotta say, I'm a little sad Suikoden placed so low, but with so many other great series like Wild ARMs, Legaia (this one is underrated!), and Chrono (was expecting this to get the top spot), I have no complaints.

Would've loved to see Dark Cloud on the honorable mentions, but seeing Jade Cocoon there made up for it. Kudos!

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
4 days ago#10
Rex915 posted...
Regarding the final bosses, I mention in the intro that I wouldn't include any as I felt like they would instantly take up 3-5 spots on the list right away.

You ain't wrong. They make some good final bosses in that series.

#1 spot was nobody's surprise, of course, but I do like just about every entry on the list. Neclord (both versions, but especially II's) were definitely memorable, yes.

Long-time series fan here, so a list like this is just amazing.
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3101: The Top 10 Suikoden Boss Battles *SPOILERS* by Rex915