You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. Brainstorming topics for future lists for anyone to write

User Info: Vysion_of_books

Vysion_of_books
2 months ago#1
I want to see more top ten lists. I'm making a topic for brainstorming. I'd like this space to provide ideas for new top ten lists. Feel free to reply with ideas you don't mind someone else working up into a top ten list.

This is simply a brainstorming place to help inspire writers. No criticism please; just throw out ideas for anyone to use.

If you decide to write a list on one of the topics posted, that's fine. Please post that you are working on that one. If you want to discuss a topic further, post a new thread with "List Idea: Topic" as the subject. That part is optional. You don't have to ask for help if you'd rather work on a list alone.

If you find an idea has already been done, please mention it.

Note: The stickied forum rules mention several things that apply:
I have an idea for a Top 10 list that will be totally awesome. Do I have to post my idea on this board so you hooligans can read it?
No. You can think up, write and submit a Top 10 list without having to run it by anyone (whether or not it gets posted on the front page is generally up to the administrator man.)

Don't steal ideas. People want to be able to discuss their ideas freely without risk of others stealing their ideas. Thus, if you see an idea you like, don't steal it. Given that multiple lists on the same topic are allowed, if you're interested in the idea, wait until after the other user's list is posted to write your own. If you're not sure if the other user is still working on the idea, ask.

Don't automatically expect credit. Do it for the love. Oftentimes, people will ask for ideas for games that fit into a list idea, or for help revising their write-ups, or for various other tips. Given the nature of this board, it's not entirely fair to automatically expect credit for any contributions you make to another person's list. If you, as a writer, want to give credit, that's great: but for those helping, don't automatically expect to be thanked in the list itself.

Realistically I don't expect someone to write someone else's ideas without personal investment in the subject. We write what we know. Writing takes dedication and far more effort than initially thought. However I want to inspire and encourage more writing as I really like this website and want the top ten list feature to continue.
-Vysion_of_books, vision with one i
(edited 2 months ago)

Vysion_of_books
2 months ago#2
Here are some from me though I did not search to see if they’d been done.

Ideas for top ten list topics
Uses of color as a game mechanic [Here’s where I discussed color in the past: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000445-top-10-lists/75966334]
-Adding colors to mark territory (see Splatoon, tags in Jet Set Radio, De Blob)
-Restoring color to darkened zones (see Okami, Flower, Shaun White Skateboarding)
-Color importance as in prompts or path-following (see Dragon's Lair, Mirror's Edge)
-Color as warning (see any game with red barrels denoting explosive contents)
-Switching colors as a toggle to progress along the level (see Shift, Outland, Hue)
-Switching colors in arcade shooters as a toggle for your character/ship color to become immune to damage (see Ikaruga)
-Removing enemies with color or color thinner (see Epic Mickey)

Off-road racing games

Libraries in games

Games where you collect books (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky)

Red Barrels

Explosions

Most frustrating collectibles

Silliest trophies/achievements

Underwater games (Abzu, Endless Ocean, Ecco the Dolphin)

Bizarre games where you play as a living thing such as Mister Mosquito or Bad Mojo (you are a cockroach) Note: This one should count only games where you are not human nor alien nor godlike either. It also shouldn’t count games where you are human interacting with something inhuman (car, dog, horse, Seaman, etc.) as you aren’t actually them. I want something bizarre that you are in the game. This one probably has been done already in some form but maybe not considering the interaction angle.

On-disc unlockables

Games with too many editions (I’m thinking titles with standard, collector’s, gold, special, store-specific, ultimate and even more editions. Probably something Assassin’s Creed or a shooter.

Games with too many endings (say a game has 3 good endings and 56 bad endings)

Games with too many levels (not randomly generated, not just color swaps)

Seemingly lazy games (made with multiple color swapped enemies, mirror levels, and not a lot of noticeable effort put into it)
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: jokrayz

jokrayz
2 months ago#3
I thought of writing a top 10, but I couldn't nail down the exact topic or criteria.

Maybe someone else has done it or better ideas.

Was thinking -

Top 10 superhero games - My top 1 was going to be city of heroes, though it seems cheating a bit?

Top 10 games with character creation - I ended up with mostly MMOs and at that point and lost interest. city of heroes again is the top 1.
3DS FC: 0576 4831 1350, Brave Frontier ID: 4473008222

User Info: Moneymoney

Moneymoney
2 months ago#4
Top 10 Games All Time

1. Tony Hawk
2. Socom
3. NFL Blitz
4. Tekken
5. Call of Duty
6. Grand Theft Auto
7. NBA Jam
8. Fable
9. Mario Kart
10. Bushido Blade

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
2 months ago#5
That would get a 1% approval rating lol

Vysion_of_books
2 months ago#6
GoukiAkujiki posted...
That would get a 1% approval rating lol

Remember, this post is merely brainstorming ideas. It's not to judge.

Please keep this post free of criticism, even if joking. I get if there's no ill intent, but I don't want to hinder someone from feeling free to post.

User Info: NE_OC

NE_OC
2 months ago#7
I had an idea. How about a list about the best ways to improve weapons/gear in videogames, how convenient it is for the player, and how fun carrying the process or testing the result is? Ranking stuff like

- directly increasing stats (Forging in Fire Emblem)
- permanently applying passive skills (Enchanting in Minecraft)
- equipment for your weapon (Gems/Augments in Xenoblade 1/X)
- merging wrapons to inherit properties (Merging in Kid Icarus)
…etc. etc.
Official Scathach of the Fate/Grand Order board ~ http://i.imgur.com/GvjB9ac.jpg
Little Samson is my most wanted for Smash Bros. Ultimate

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
2 months ago#8
NE_OC posted...
I had an idea. How about a list about the best ways to improve weapons/gear in videogames, how convenient it is for the player, and how fun carrying the process or testing the result is?
Given the dearth of mobile MMO-style games (where farming/mining takes precedence) it might be a better narrative to give the history of improving gear.

In-battle casting (Final Fantasy I; bugged)
Out-of-battle blessing (Betrayal at Krondor, Pixel Dungeon)
Plot-unlock (Secret of Mana, King of Dragons, Zelda: A Link to the Past)
Accessorizing (Final Fantasy 7)
Merging equipment (Pixel Dungeon, Kid Icarus)
Foraging for components (Fire Emblem: Heroes)
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: jokrayz

jokrayz
2 months ago#9
Moneymoney posted...
Top 10 Games All Time

1. Tony Hawk
2. Socom
3. NFL Blitz
4. Tekken
5. Call of Duty
6. Grand Theft Auto
7. NBA Jam
8. Fable
9. Mario Kart
10. Bushido Blade

1. Not arguing it's the best, but it's up there for that genre.
2. What happened to this series?
3. Yep.
4. No opinion.
5. Never played the original. SSDD?
6. Are you sure you aren't missing a III or 3?
7. No opinion.
8. I miss this series.
9. I want my friends back.
10. No opinion.

---
List ideas:

Top 10 video games that destroy friendships. - had to make the distinction cause that list would be more like; monopoly, uno, bulls***, everything else.

1. Mario Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJJTI-oODQ

How you can still be friends or did not hit the reset button if you were this guy. (Yes i'm a sore loser lol).

2. Mario Kart - f*** those blue shells. bulls***.
3. Smash Bros - all is fun on hyrule castle till s*** gets serious then it's final destination and no items.

10/honorable mentions - Farmville/Candy Crush - Stop the invites or you're getting blocked.
3DS FC: 0576 4831 1350, Brave Frontier ID: 4473008222

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
2 months ago#10
jokrayz posted...
Top 10 video games that destroy friendships.
Nintendo advertised Tetris 4D on the N64 specifically as a friendship destroyer.

Number one should be Double Dragon.

The original game was you and a buddy become a pair of fighting brothere out to save the girl from a gang... Until the end where you want to save the girl from the other! What the hell??
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. Brainstorming topics for future lists for anyone to write