You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #2874: The Top 10 Lesser-Known Facts About Pokemon (Red/Blue), by Hanzaemon_

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
1 week ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/2874-the-top-10-lesser-known-facts-about-pokemon-red-blue

Well, here's another older list than last year. Sigh.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: Emi3280

Emi3280
1 week ago#2
I thought it was a new list and got excited. It was an AMAZING read. As a Pokemon fan, I enjoyed every single second I spent reading the article. If the author had a Paypal donate button, I would've shelled out $100 dls and I'm not joking.

10/10 would read again.
PSN: MrLoneWanderer - 3DS FC: 0490-6216-2718
"The two most important days in life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

User Info: Radar

Radar
1 week ago#3
I don't know what the author was writing about with number one. The only contest I remember is the Toys R Us one where they gave you a thing to peel to see if you won. I can't even find mention of it here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#In_events
Bring back v12!
PSN/Steam/Uplay: Action_Slacks

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
1 week ago#4
The whole Mew prank story sounds fishy. It's hard to believe Mew was added at the last minute, unauthorized of all things, when they had Mewtwo firmly cemented in the game early in development, complete with Cinnabar notes referring to the existence of Mew which goes beyond just Mewtwo's name suggesting the existence of a Mew(one). If they wanted to remove Mew due to space/time constraints they would have taken out Mewtwo and all the lore about them as well. And you'd think that with Mew being the very first Pokémon officially trademarked they'd absolutely make sure it has a place in the game, otherwise why would they prioritize registering it above every single other Pokémon?

Even thinking about it logically, there's just very little incentive to risk compromising the game's stability by adding new and unauthorized data after the testing was finished, data that can't even be normally accessed in regular gameplay. It could cost the responsible developer his job and no sane person would do something like that.

[Shigeki Morimoto revealed that he created Mew two weeks before game development was finished.] - That's a lie, unless instead of two weeks he meant to say four years.
Everything will be fire.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
1 week ago#5
Still a good list. One or two typos popped in randomly, but nothing you would notice unless you were reading it carefully (e.g. the "wondering" cat). Most of the stuff is kinda mainstream now thanks to sites like Bulbapedia (the Uri Geller lawsuit, POK gene story... and I always thought CapMon was edging into sounds-like-Capcom territory).

I really did like the presentation breakdown -- statement of fact related to the game/franchise, historical background, maybe a wham-section, and finally additional trivia (really liked how they went the extra mile to include what the Missing No. Pokemon were in later generations). They picked notable high profile things related to the first Pokemon games that weren't in the games (e.g. localization differences such as NY and LA being Koffing and Wheezing, etc.) which is kinda unusual.

@Radar
It's in there; December 8 to 12, 1999. Sticker image included.

@xF0x
I would kinda believe the Mew-two-weeks story. Game Freak was still young and the crew were still playing it loose (for crying out loud, Satoshi Tajiri explicitly named the protagonist-antagonist duo after his relationship with his teacher/boss Miyamoto). Mew is entry #151 and slotted after Mew in the gamedata; chances are mentions of Mew were just supposed to be a "historical context" and not an actual "acquirable" teammate. As for compromising structural integrity? Check out the Missing No. entries; those were incomplete character files with no pointer data to them and the game worked fine. Via codes or glitches, once you start retrieving said data, game might malfunction (because they were incomplete). With Mew, the data was complete, and once patches/game-genie/glitches activated said pointers, nothing would break.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Green_beta#No_Mew_present
https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Mew
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: flip122

flip122
1 week ago#6
Isn't the list with removed pokèmon from '150 to 190" different , because going from the GS Beta leaks past year a lot of these Pokemon didn't exist yet.

User Info: metroidfan987

metroidfan987
1 week ago#7
Interestingly enough, the Professor being the Final Boss, finally came true all the way in Gen 7. Even more interesting, is how they waited until Gen 7 to do it. Kind of ties in with Lockstin's Pokemon Reboot Theory (which sort of came true with the release of Pokemon Let's Go).

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
1 week ago#8
Very cool list! A lot of these I didn't already know.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
1 week ago#9
LinkPrime1 posted...
Very cool list! A lot of these I didn't already know.

Me neither. I was just too young to remember, for once.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: coreekymon

coreekymon
1 week ago#10
xF0x posted...
The whole Mew prank story sounds fishy. It's hard to believe Mew was added at the last minute, unauthorized of all things, when they had Mewtwo firmly cemented in the game early in development, complete with Cinnabar notes referring to the existence of Mew which goes beyond just Mewtwo's name suggesting the existence of a Mew(one). If they wanted to remove Mew due to space/time constraints they would have taken out Mewtwo and all the lore about them as well. And you'd think that with Mew being the very first Pokémon officially trademarked they'd absolutely make sure it has a place in the game, otherwise why would they prioritize registering it above every single other Pokémon?

Even thinking about it logically, there's just very little incentive to risk compromising the game's stability by adding new and unauthorized data after the testing was finished, data that can't even be normally accessed in regular gameplay. It could cost the responsible developer his job and no sane person would do something like that.

[Shigeki Morimoto revealed that he created Mew two weeks before game development was finished.] - That's a lie, unless instead of two weeks he meant to say four years.

It's true, you can read about it in this interview here: https://bit.ly/2gMO71p
My guess is that Mew was conceptualized long before that point but when they cut the number of pokemon from 190 to 150, Mew probably didn't initially make the cut, but when that one developer realized they had a tiny bit of space left he added him in.
Roy is, and always has been, my boy!
Finally cataloged all my games: http://backloggery.com/coreekymon
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #2874: The Top 10 Lesser-Known Facts About Pokemon (Red/Blue), by Hanzaemon_