• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3080: The Top 10 Facts You May Not Know About the PlayStation, by White_Pointer

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
2 months ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3080-the-top-10-facts-you-may-not-know-about-the-playstation

I know it's not on the front page yet, but I can tell that this list looks pretty good.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
2 months ago#2
Yep it's been approved, though probably won't be front paged for quite some time, there's at least one list in front of it.

Regardless, hope you enjoy it. I worked on a video version at the same time, if you want to check that out too:

https://youtu.be/k5pudXk7O3Q

User Info: Weird_Fetishes

Weird_Fetishes
2 months ago#3
Another WP list that's just as informative and engaging as the last.
The Lord prefers unmarked, non-sequential bills.
-Forgive & Forget from Saints Row

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
2 months ago#4
Weird_Fetishes posted...
Another WP list that's just as informative and engaging as the last.

Excellent choice of words.

While most of the stuff wasn't news to me personally (#4 being a welcome surprise), the writing was well-researched and the style was both quick and dense in that it provided an infodump with mere sentences. The Level-Of-Detail system in entry #4 is a great example -- a paragraph to summarize the subject while broaching its relativity, a three-sentence expansion paragraph, and a short closer that ties it into a broader picture. (Personally I like entry #5 as I still say PSx and I know that rubs folks the wrong way.)

As a weird addition to #8, which was probably trimmed because it could have spyro'd out of control, Crash Bandicoot did have a dude dressed in a Crash Bandicoot costume in commercials on both sides of the Pacific. Whereas the American costume had a visible window in the character's teeth for the actor's face to be visible (as he espoused an "attitude" Sonic the Hedgehog fans would have been proud of), the Japanese costume lacked such a porthole (their teeth was a solid white mesh)... and indeed the Japanese commercials were more cartoonishly zany. (The two would meet at various industry shows to illustrate their parity.) And abstract characters like Spyro and Crash were a boon for SCE in the US, picking up the ball exactly where Sega dropped it.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 months ago#5
Wonderful list. <333
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/qavbtaQ

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
2 months ago#6
What a pretty good list. If only SBAllen can see it.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: 91210user

91210user
2 months ago#7
The list was going great until number 1. I thought it was too wordy and doesn't really establish the idea behind the list and misses the notion of being a fact!

It is poorly worded for many reasons. The sentence could have been just "It could have been co-developed by Sony WITH Sega" or just "It could have been co-developed with Sega" and even "Between Sony and Sega". Everyone already knows the PlayStation was produced by Sony. That didn't have to be typed again and seen in big and bold when labelled.

Finally, the idea of the entry being a fact, that entry can be considered more of an opinion then what the list idea suggests. There is enough to explain it could have happened but it really can't be considered a fact considering that there is the Nintendo NES CD-ROM which the prototype was made and even seen. So the PlayStation could have been co-developed with Nintendo. It's debatable what could have happened between the other company. Then it makes anyone wonder why the entry hadn't included Nintendo's possible partnership with Sony!

THAT'S THE TOP ENTRY and I thought how it was worded, ruined what the list tried to represent!

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
2 months ago#8
Whew! Finally took the time to sit down and read this. As expected, quality stuff. I knew most of these facts since I'm a huge PlayStation fan, but the list never stopped being interesting. I enjoyed it.

91210user posted...
I thought it was too wordy and doesn't really establish the idea behind the list and misses the notion of being a fact!

Pot meet kettle.

91210user posted...
It is poorly worded for many reasons. The sentence could have been just "It could have been co-developed by Sony WITH Sega" or just "It could have been co-developed with Sega" and even "Between Sony and Sega". Everyone already knows the PlayStation was produced by Sony. That didn't have to be typed again and seen in big and bold when labelled.

Finally, the idea of the entry being a fact, that entry can be considered more of an opinion then what the list idea suggests. There is enough to explain it could have happened but it really can't be considered a fact considering that there is the Nintendo NES CD-ROM which the prototype was made and even seen. So the PlayStation could have been co-developed with Nintendo. It's debatable what could have happened between the other company. Then it makes anyone wonder why the entry hadn't included Nintendo's possible partnership with Sony!

THAT'S THE TOP ENTRY and I thought how it was worded, ruined what the list tried to represent!

I think the answer is ceiling.
www.kashelltriumph.com
PSN: Growllanser

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
2 months ago#9
I don't really know what 91210user is trying to say, exactly, but I'm also not going bother responding directly to him because he has me on ignore and won't see the response anyway. I do find it funny how he of all people is accusing me of having a poor choice of words though.

Is he trying to say #1 isn't actually a fact? Because it 100% is a fact, and I even provided a reference directly in that entry to the source. Does he think I made that up? I also stated in my intro AND in that #1 entry itself that I wasn't going to cover the Sony/Nintendo thing because that is pretty widely known, and I wanted to focus on facts that may not be as commonly known.

Here's the interview I reference for that entry, in case anyone is interested. It's not "debatable", it's not an "opinion", it's a fact and it's right there in black and white: http://www.sega-16.com/2006/07/interview-tom-kalinske/

User Info: Nadster

Nadster
2 months ago#10
Finally read it. Great list as usual. I recall seeing a couple of those facts before.
"This is a quote."
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3080: The Top 10 Facts You May Not Know About the PlayStation, by White_Pointer
  • Topic Archived