List idea - Games with long development times that were worth the wait

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List idea - Games with long development times that were worth the wait

User Info: Very_Snappy

Very_Snappy
5 months ago#1
I don't have a ton of ideas for this one yet, but I thought it might be interesting. Thoughts, ideas?
"I swear sometimes you need a ****ing lawyer to start a topic here" - Amenonuhoko
My gaming blog: http://danongames.wordpress.com

User Info: QuickSpinsZero

QuickSpinsZero
5 months ago#2
This sounds like a positive version of my list.
Spin Into The Future!

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
5 months ago#3
A list written by @Very_Snappy? I'm all in.

I like this idea. It kind of pays homage to the whole patience is a virtue mentality. I'm sure that there will be choices on there that will cause some ding-dongs to say something like, "lolwut?! this game was awful an s0 not w0rth teh wayt!"

But, I know you can handle it. Does development time include localization time? If so, there are some Working Designs games that could fit this criteria.
PSN: Growllanser
@Kashell_Triumph

User Info: Very_Snappy

Very_Snappy
5 months ago#4
QuickSpinsZero posted...
This sounds like a positive version of my list.

Your list definitely inspired this idea!

Kashell Triumph posted...
A list written by @Very_Snappy? I'm all in.

I like this idea. It kind of pays homage to the whole patience is a virtue mentality. I'm sure that there will be choices on there that will cause some ding-dongs to say something like, "lolwut?! this game was awful an s0 not w0rth teh wayt!"

But, I know you can handle it. Does development time include localization time? If so, there are some Working Designs games that could fit this criteria.

Thanks Kash! I have some other ideas too that’s are pretty basic, but hey I’m just getting my feet wet with this...

Oh yeah, I plan on getting a lot of flak, but that’s always the case when you post something online, it’s all good.
"I swear sometimes you need a ****ing lawyer to start a topic here" - Amenonuhoko
My gaming blog: http://danongames.wordpress.com

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
4 months ago#5
You might even try with The Last Guardian, for example.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: Lost7th

Lost7th
4 months ago#6
That really depends on what kind of cap you're putting on WAIT. Because there's no game that can really justify over 10 years of active development. That's an absurdly long time in this industry.
5/1/2018 Taki came backy

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
4 months ago#7
Dragon Quest VII might apply. I don't know exactly how long it was in development but I remember reading it had a lot of issues during development and it didn't come out until the end of the PS1's lifespan. You might be able to put some Zelda games on the list as well provided you aren't looking for a game that took 5+ years to come out.

User Info: jokrayz

jokrayz
4 months ago#8
Is this games that were being developed for years.. or just scrapped and then brought back later? (i.e. games that we kept getting teased about).

I can't confirm. but from reviewers.
God of War seems to fit the criteria.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Breath of the wild (maybe?)
Mario Galaxy (maybe?)
3DS FC: 0576 4831 1350, Brave Frontier ID: 4473008222

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
4 months ago#9
You might consider doing a list of games still currently in development (and totally not dead -- right Shenmue III fans?)

How was the reception for Final Fantasy XV... I mean Final Fantasy XIII: versus (2006~2016)

Oh, wait. Wikipedia has a small list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_hell#Video_games

Yup, the Last Guardian (PS3 delayed to PS4), Mother 3 (N64 delayed to GBA), Team Fortress 2 (from 1999 to 2007), and Owlboy (2007 to 2016). Not included, Pier Solar (2004 to 2010) and other early-crowdfunded games.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: QuickSpinsZero

QuickSpinsZero
4 months ago#10
Pako Pako posted...
You might consider doing a list of games still currently in development (and totally not dead -- right Shenmue III fans?)

Ow. That hurts.
Spin Into The Future!
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. List idea - Games with long development times that were worth the wait

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived