#3063: The Top 10 Disappointing Video Games...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3063: The Top 10 Disappointing Video Games...

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
3 months ago#1
...That Had a Lot of Hype Before Release, by QuickSpinsZero

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3063-the-top-10-disappointing-video-games-that-had-a-lot-of-hype

Well, here's a new list. And one of the games on this list is Mass Effect: Bland-romeda. Yay! *sarcasm*
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: chrisisemo

chrisisemo
3 months ago#2
What was wrong with Phantom Pain? The prologue took a while but everything after that was great.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
3 months ago#3
MGV should have been SFV imo

It got improved vastly post launch, but so did NMS.
Slayer>Megadeth>Amon Amarth>Alice in Chains>Every other Metal band>Other Genres of music>A bagpipe full of cats>>>>Country music

User Info: PlayWithPower

PlayWithPower
3 months ago#4
All on modern platforms. I wonder why... 🤔

User Info: Labotohs

Labotohs
3 months ago#5
Do people really think that Brawl's graphics take too much of a realistic approach to fit into the Smash Bros. series?
NNID: LaboTohs
FFBE: Labo - ID: 704,363,504

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
3 months ago#6
As soon as I read the intro I knew this was a QS list. Take that for what you will. This list also reminds me of one or two other lists he's written in the past. I will say though that the overall writing has improved dramatically with this list.

As for Brawl - Brawl was actually a really good game - it had a fantastic single player and the amount of content they stuffed into it was incredible. The game gets somewhat of a bad reputation because it's not a good *competitive* game. Most of the Melee purists didn't like it because it wasn't Melee. But they won't like any Smash game unless it's Melee. Brawl focused more towards the casual player in that sense, and they definitely made some odd design decisions in there, but it was by no means bad or even disappointing for the majority of gamers out there, it was only seen as disappointing by the competitive community.

But once again QS, you could have done without this at the end:

And that's the list. I hope you guys at least enjoyed it. Because in the end, this whole list is a disappointment. Heck, my whole existence is.

Seriously, stop doing this.

User Info: PlayWithPower

PlayWithPower
3 months ago#7
Labotohs posted...
Do people really think that Brawl's graphics take too much of a realistic approach to fit into the Smash Bros. series?

It's the worst thing about an otherwise good game. It isn't that bad, but it definitely bothers me a bit.

User Info: UltraKev9

UltraKev9
3 months ago#8
Did this dude proofread this Top Ten List before he posted it?
Not to mention, this just seems like a personal Top Ten List of games he spent money on and regrets.

-3 for the obvious personal vendetta...
-5 for spelling, syntax and grammatical errors.

There's a type of game that has been around for decades and it's the "play once and never again" style.

For me, ME:Andromeda was one. I thought the game was just fine. I can overlook cringe-worthy dialogue, weird graphical artifacts, occasional system glitches, etc. because I generally had a pretty darn good time driving around and exploring and shooting stuff. The game and story led me to do more research on my own on our closest neighbor galaxy and sparked some interesting questions I'd never thought to ask. I like it when a game set in a quasi-fictional world sparks real-world thinking. I appreciate that maybe some of the designers wanted to do this and it worked with me.

Same thing with No Man's Sky. What exists today as NMS is significantly different than what was released on day one, a game which I pre-ordered and played for about 40 hours before "shelving" it and playing something else. I knew at the time I didn't really want to commit hundreds of hours to this "first person shooter" RPG hybrid genre game and wanted to play something else at the time and really only expected to play for about eight hours before I found myself playing for about five straight days after work. I think a lot of people (I have a friend that does this and I've warned him not to) have a desire to pay far too close attention to what the makers of NMS were doing and it's also Hello Games' fault for essentially running their mouths too much. Another friend of mine originally told me about NMS and watched its progress a little too closely. I checked out the websites and saw a couple trailers and then decided not to view any more of what they were doing. I know that things don't always turn out the way the designers intend and I didn't want to get any preconceived notions of what was coming. Of course, upon release the forums across the known universe and beyond erupted in a firestorm of withering assault because what Hello Games promised four years prior wasn't in the game and, frankly, I found it extremely embarrassing. Tens of thousands of people that pre-ordered the game were demanding their money back. I'd seriously in my 45 years on this planet have never seen anything like this. The keyboard warriors of the mid 2010 decade were in a fury and they wanted blood and people to hang.

Personally, I think you can like what you want to like and you can hate the same way. However, I also believe each game is a product of other peoples' hopes and dreams (not to sound to space-y-cadet-y about it) but they put their blood, sweat and tears in to a project for years only to have a bunch of armchair neckbeards and pretend gamer elitists who've collectively never created a damn thing in their entire lives rip their "child" to shreds in front of them. Each game is its own work of art just like visiting the museum and obviously growing up with gaming starting from the Atari 2600 and old stand-up arcade machines I've seen programming, ideas and dreams come to life in digital form from nearly day one. To me personally it seems that there are far too many people throwing their lack of experience over the long term in to an argument. I can give dozens of examples of games that were outstanding graphically twenty years ago that look absolutely awful by today's standard. I'm also growing weary of people immediately dismissing any game based on graphics alone.
Evidently, I haven't set a signature for the message boards yet.

User Info: LanceOmikron

LanceOmikron
3 months ago#9
Honestly, I felt that Brawl was a direct upgrade over Melee in every way. Except tripping. Tripping was never a good idea in any respect.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
3 months ago#10
LanceOmikron posted...
Honestly, I felt that Brawl was a direct upgrade over Melee in every way. Except tripping. Tripping was never a good idea in any respect.

Agreed. I love the entire series, but each entry is better than the last imo.
Slayer>Megadeth>Amon Amarth>Alice in Chains>Every other Metal band>Other Genres of music>A bagpipe full of cats>>>>Country music
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3063: The Top 10 Disappointing Video Games...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived