#3049 - The Top 10 Video Games That Changed In Their New Installment ...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3049 - The Top 10 Video Games That Changed In Their New Installment ...

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
6 months ago#1
A collaboration between QuickSpinsZero & LostSoul

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3049-the-top-10-video-games-that-changed-in-their-new-installment
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd

User Info: QuickSpinsZero

QuickSpinsZero
6 months ago#2
Well it's up. I know what you all are thinking and I don't blame you for being disappointed. Since I couldn't use Google Doc to write my lists, I used my phone to write my entries. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that my phone...well my phone kinda hates me. I really wanted to start on a new list and I was very excited to work with LostSoul on this list, so I resorted to this. The list idea was by LostSoul, but as the publisher, I take full blame for a poor quality list.

Hopefully my next list will improve the quality I was having with my previous lists. Still, I'm glad that I collaborated with LostSoul. It was fun working with him and I hope that I'll work with him again in the future.
Spin Into The Future!

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
6 months ago#3
It seems you beat me to it. But otherwise, it's not so bad.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: Zenoth

Zenoth
6 months ago#4
Interesting list.

I do like that SM64 is #1 on it. It changed a lot for the franchise but also a lot in general for the gaming industry (at least when it comes to console gaming, that is).

To be honest though, when it comes to The Legend of Zelda, I feel that Ocarina of Time is the one that blew me away the most for being different than the previous games; but I'm not much of a Zelda franchise veteran and I'm sure that Breath of the Wild also certainly did change a lot of the known / established gameplay mechanics from the previous games. It's just that previously, just like the Mario / Super Mario Bros. games were in 2D until SM64 came out, Ocarina of Time was a huge step ahead for bringing the franchise to 3D for the first time. I personally think that such a change is bigger all things considered than "just" changing some game aspects like "less main dungeons" or "more open world" (I.E. there's less difference in my book between already-3D Zelda games and Breath of the Wild than there are between the 2D Zelda games and Ocarina of Time).

But this could be discussed, and argued for weeks I know; ultimately there's good reasons one way or another. I've read the rules for this list, I know that saying something like "Ocarina of Time" mostly represents "just" going from 2D to 3D but really I think that OoT did way more than just that to the franchise in general; it also established a definitive contender to beat, it set the bar infinitely high for any following titles of the franchise for many years to follow (some say that Majora's Mask was already better overall; to each their own, but OoT was the one to beat, not M'sM). And of course Breath of the Wild did change a lot purely in terms of gameplay mechanics and "ways" of playing Zelda. I know indeed, from what I've played, I do agree. I haven't finished it yet, but it's definitely way more on the survival / open world side of things than it is on the 'typical Zelda' puzzle-solving in a more linear environment (albeit there's still that of course but probably not enough of it compared to most of the previous Zelda games).

But anyway, overall, solid list.

User Info: jokrayz

jokrayz
6 months ago#5
Not a bad list.

"Wanna face off against Garon "

Bit surprised. a Lostsouls list without his "Don't like it, write your own" rule.
3DS FC: 0576 4831 1350, Brave Frontier ID: 4473008222

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
6 months ago#6
Interesting idea. Typos everywhere. It's about what I expected.

I was surprised to see Covenant of the Plume on there; great game.
PSN: Growllanser
@Kashell_Triumph

User Info: IllegalSplicer

IllegalSplicer
6 months ago#7
No longer Phantasy Star is an ancient style fantasy. It is now more futuristic.

Just a heads up, Phantasy Star has been futuristic since its Master System debut. The third game starts with a medieval setting, and the fourth begins in a desert, but they're still in the distant future. The second game takes place at a point where Earth is uninhabitable if that gives any context.
-What is it?
-A boomerang. It's like a frisbee for people who don't have any friends.

User Info: NickDrake

NickDrake
6 months ago#8
IllegalSplicer posted...
No longer Phantasy Star is an ancient style fantasy. It is now more futuristic.

Just a heads up, Phantasy Star has been futuristic since its Master System debut.

I imagine his phone must've sapped his brain of that knowledge...and the ability to fact-check.

Phantasy Star Online is also a spin-off, which means it's disallowed from even making the list per his own stated rules.
Take a look at the Lawman beating up the wrong guy
Oh, man! Wonder if he'll ever know...

User Info: frodiusmaximus

frodiusmaximus
6 months ago#9
On the Metroid entry, what does this sentence mean? "...an adventure presented through the eyes of the lead character has never been done before or since, and it's part of what makes the Prime series so special." Last time I checked, there have been a ton of first-person games in a variety of genres both before and after Metroid Prime.

Don't get me wrong -- I love MP to death, one of my top 10 games. But this sentence just seems ... factually incorrect.

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
6 months ago#10
frodiusmaximus posted...
On the Metroid entry, what does this sentence mean? "...an adventure presented through the eyes of the lead character has never been done before or since, and it's part of what makes the Prime series so special." Last time I checked, there have been a ton of first-person games in a variety of genres both before and after Metroid Prime.

Don't get me wrong -- I love MP to death, one of my top 10 games. But this sentence just seems ... factually incorrect.

My best guess is they are talking specifically about a 2D platformer that has made a transition to a 3D shooter.

This was a reasonably good list despite that though, and a definite improvement for both QuickSpins AND LostSoul.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3049 - The Top 10 Video Games That Changed In Their New Installment ...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived