#3048: The Top 10 Final Fantasy Characters of the PlayStation Era... (Spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3048: The Top 10 Final Fantasy Characters of the PlayStation Era... (Spoilers)

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
6 months ago#1
...According to the Fans, by sirloinestake

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3048-the-top-10-final-fantasy-characters-of-the-playstation-era

And here's another new list. I can tell that it looks pretty good. My only concern is that some of the pics are a little too big, IMO.
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
6 months ago#2
The pic for #10 is definitely too big, and it's worse because of the huge black border around it that's just needlessly taking up space. The rest are on the largish side but are probably okay.

It's a decent list otherwise, and it's a good idea to get the fans to vote for this kind of thing - but you'll never really win in this scenario. I predict this list will still get a lot of downvotes despite the system that the author used to determine the spots, simply because FF fans are so passionate.

User Info: zr122

zr122
6 months ago#3
Interesting list.

At the end of the Vivi entry, it says he's 6 months old, and the writer says that might be the youngest playable character ever. If you only look at Final Fantasy games, sure, but if you broaden that comment to encompass ALL video games, it's incorrect.

In both Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed 2, you play as a literal newborn. In AC2, you can merely move your head and arms and legs a little bit, but it's enough.

User Info: Nadster

Nadster
6 months ago#4
Good list. I remember the SNES version.
"This is a quote."

User Info: paul_matthias

paul_matthias
6 months ago#5
The image issue is fair enough, but when the system doesnt let you resize efficently and the image looked a similar size to others on the screenshot page, then surely thats forgivable?

Also, this whole project was a bit of an albatross around my neck. Just completing it 6 months after I started it was a miracle given my job.

No wonder people are less willing to write them now. Its a time sink.
"You gave to me all I know. I will stay here, I will not go" - Shuffle, Bombay Bicycle Club

User Info: WhitePointer

WhitePointer
6 months ago#6
paul_matthias posted...
The image issue is fair enough, but when the system doesnt let you resize efficently and the image looked a similar size to others on the screenshot page, then surely thats forgivable?

Yeah the top 10 list editor isn't very helpful, as I've said many times in the past. It only shows you a thumbnail sized image regardless of how big the image actually is. I made a suggestion to add a preview option to the top 10 list editor so we can actually see what it looks like before submitting it, but clearly nothing has been done about that.

You just need to look at the size of the image you are linking to on the site beforehand. If it's too big, then you need to manually resize it yourself - that is, download it, open it in an image editor, resize, save, then submit the screenshot for approval, then link in the new smaller screenshot once it's approved.

I know it sucks but that's what you need to do when using custom images to avoid this happening.

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
6 months ago#7
I'm actually loving the pictures and their sizes.

Part of that is because so many of my favorite characters made the cut. Another part of that is because this list was very well written.

Ramza at number 2? Vivi at number 1? Agrias actually making it on there? I'm very pleased.

Great list.
PSN: Growllanser
@Kashell_Triumph

User Info: BlackScythe0

BlackScythe0
6 months ago#8
List didn't end up being what I thought it would be so I was very pleasantly surprised.

User Info: IceWave

IceWave
6 months ago#9
A very well-written top ten. I agree that Ramza, Agrias, and Vivi are definitely high points as far as great characters go. I'd have added Ovelia, but that might have made the list "too saturated" with Tactics characters.

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
6 months ago#10
A well spaced list. Unlike the previous front-page list, this one is clear, easy-to-read, and very informative. Given the narrow spacing (PS1 games) this list has cut down the amount of sprawling.

As the entries were voted on, congrats for listing runner's up. I like the style stake uses: game details, a poignant quip, a game highlight, a semi-brief personal note mixed with character summary, and neat bits of trivia. (Heh. RSPCA.)

I can't really comment on the order or the selection as entries were voted on, but I'm not surprised at those listed (except Vivi for #1). I'd be curious about what the remaining voting looked like, but not including it in the list makes it cleaner overall.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3048: The Top 10 Final Fantasy Characters of the PlayStation Era... (Spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived