#3038: The Top 10 Biggest Difficulty Spikes in Video Games, by Killzonegaming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3038: The Top 10 Biggest Difficulty Spikes in Video Games, by Killzonegaming

User Info: Supernat98

Supernat98
6 months ago#31
No Paper Mario:TTYD? The final level is the DEFINITION of difficulty spikes.
My beautiful queen, Tana! <3
http://imgur.com/Z3fPkJU

User Info: TrojanPony

TrojanPony
6 months ago#32
This list reeks, Turbo Tunnel is tough the first few runs but Battletoads remains consistently challenging, in part because each level plays so differently. His first entry boils down to "This was hard because I'm s*** at RPGs".

User Info: CryofthePlanet

CryofthePlanet
6 months ago#33
Yeah, this list isn't that great. Battletoads for first place, though, absolutely. Screw that game, and the tunnel was just the start of the hell. Not an easy game.

Other entries on this list are just ridiculous, though. The first boss in SMRPG just because you never fought anything, really? That is weak sauce. Shadow Yukiko in P4 is easily manageable through guarding at least with Chie and seriously mitigates the damage. SMS you can walk down the bank back to the coins, they aren't a one-or-none thing. None of those are even on the same radar.

This list sounds like a couple of good mentions thrown in with examples of a gamer trying to pave their way through games without any real thought, strategy, or consideration to the different tools available. A game is definitely gonna be hard if you just run forward and mash X without thinking, but that's not a difficulty spike, that's just lunacy. Some basic mechanics and understanding will remove most of these entries. Not even wavedashing, SHFFLing kind of mechanics, more like "press right and X to Defend for your turn" mechanics. Come on, now.

User Info: EgHeadFool

EgHeadFool
6 months ago#34
CryofthePlanet posted...
A game is definitely gonna be hard if you just run forward and mash X without thinking, but that's not a difficulty spike, that's just lunacy.

Incidentally #3 on the list is literally a button-mashing minigame. An isolated minigame. It's not a barrier to progression, it's not even about difficulty but rather physical ability to press a button somewhat quickly (it's easy as hell for me and I honestly don't understand how people lack the dexterity, especially if you grew up with other N64-era games like Mario Party).

But I agree with your post in general. I'm not sure the list writer understand the concept of a difficulty spike, or of difficulty in games at all. The list is more like "top 10 things that annoyed me / that I was bad at as a kid." With the exception of a couple of games on the list that I never played, nothing even remotely qualifies. That said I'll acknowledge that it can be difficult to try to objectively gauge fluctuations in difficulty.

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
6 months ago#35
TrojanPony posted...
This list reeks, Turbo Tunnel is tough the first few runs but Battletoads remains consistently challenging, in part because each level plays so differently. His first entry boils down to "This was hard because I'm s*** at RPGs".

The list is fine. I would agree with his inclusion of Whitney in Pokemon Gold/Silver. It's not just abour grinding 2 levels to beat her, it's much harder than anything else up to that point.

It's difficulty SPIKE not difficulty PEAK. There is a difference, and I agree with turbo tunnel as the...or a potential number one choice.

Sometimes lists deserve to be ripped apart, but not here. It's an average top 10 list, that doesn't mean terrible.

Acceptable work LC.

Edit - OK I personally disagree with the Nintendo coin in DK64, but it's your list that you had problems with.
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
6 months ago#36
Turbo Tunnel is only a spike in that the previous two stages are such a walk in the park. In the general scheme of things, it's not that difficult.

The Nintendo Coin in DK64 isn't very challenging to get either, but I have definitely seen many gamers throw fits over it. If anything, it just highlights how much games as a whole decreased in difficulty from when the original Donkey Kong came out and when DK64 did. A lot of DK64 players were young kids who weren't even born yet in the 80s, or barely so. What skill sets they may have built with 3D platforming just didn't apply to something like the original Donkey Kong. But anybody who actually played Donkey Kong in the 80s would probably laugh at the idea of people struggling to clear the minimal challenge set to get the Nintendo Coin.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: fate484

fate484
6 months ago#37
a list like this I think would have benefited from putting some board posts n polls up here n there I mean I don't think anyone is going to agree with the SMRPG entry and alot of the other entries I'm like really? even the battle toads entry was more like a bump in the road when I've played a ton of games where the difficulty spike was hitting a wall sure people will agree with it cause battle toads is notoriously difficult but I'm sure most of those that experienced that stage got past it without to much of a time investment so no way I'd call it one of the biggest

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
6 months ago#38
This list just completely loses credibility by opening with Croco from SMRPG.

User Info: LoneCourier2281

LoneCourier2281
6 months ago#39
How long has this list been on the front page? I feel like it’s been a while.

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
6 months ago#40
I barely even remember the Croco fight in SMRPG (and I say this despite playing through the game more than once). There was no point in the entire game that I got stuck for a while or noticed the difficulty suddenly increasing to a significant degree. Not knowing how to play an RPG and paying the price for that is not a matter of an RPG having a difficulty spike. You could put yourself in that position in most RPGs, even ones that are very easy when played properly. It'd be like thinking the power-ups in Mario or the coins in Sonic are bad guys and avoiding them and then wondering why you're struggling.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #3038: The Top 10 Biggest Difficulty Spikes in Video Games, by Killzonegaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived