#2972: The Top 10 Spin-Off Games in an Established Franchise, by LostSoul

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #2972: The Top 10 Spin-Off Games in an Established Franchise, by LostSoul

User Info: angeldeb82

angeldeb82
11 months ago#1
https://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/2972-the-top-10-spin-off-games-in-an-established-franchise

Well, here's another new list. And it kinda looks pretty good in spite of some grammar errors, but what do you think otherwise?
Fussenpepper: I'll miss my train. Parappa: You'll miss your train. Fussenpepper: I'll miss my brain. Parappa: May I help you?

User Info: Baker1000

Baker1000
11 months ago#2
Well, it looks very Nintendo-console focused. I assume that's just the writers preference though. But Hyrule Warriors number 1? Disagree. It's good, but not even the best Nintendo franchise spin-off. I would've expected to see at least a Mario sports title or Mario Kart. While they are considered franchises of their own by now, they were initially spin-offs. Maybe even one of the Mario RPG titles too. Also I would've expected something like Final Fantasy Tactics to make the cut but I guess it depends if the writer has played it.
Believe Your Eyes

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
11 months ago#3
If I had a red pen, became a teacher for a day and had this list in front of me like an English paper, it would have ended up looking like a murder scene!

I'm kidding sort of, but yeah. Lots of spelling and grammar issues. Vehicle was misspelled, like, a few words after it was spelled correctly the first time. After reading that, I knew that there would be some other typos. I was right.

https://www.norwegiancreations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/and-now-for-something-completely-different.jpg

As for the content, I felt the choices were pretty solid. I only played half of them. Just two things I disagree with.

Final Fantasy Adventure: "The great thing about Nintendo's portable systems is how they can turn a boring backseat commute or long plane ride into hours of adventuring, monster-slaying enjoyment. No title on the original black-and-white system showed that off better than FFA."

Someone clearly didn't play Final Fantasy Legend II. Or Final Fantasy Legend III. Or Pokemon. Final Fantasy Adventure was linear, short, and lacked replay ability. It's still a great game, though.

Castlevania Judgment: "All the greatest Castlevania heroes and villians are here, re-designed with a slick aesthetic by Takeshi Obata of Death Note fame."

Ugh, for real? Art and style and taste are subjective, but this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone praising the art direction in this game. These characters look equal parts ridiculous and hideous.
darkrpger: I miss you every day. Game on, my brother.
PSN: Growllanser - @Kashell_Triumph

User Info: Chaos_Missile

Chaos_Missile
11 months ago#4
Kashell Triumph posted...
Castlevania Judgment: "All the greatest Castlevania heroes and villians are here, re-designed with a slick aesthetic by Takeshi Obata of Death Note fame."

Ugh, for real? Art and style and taste are subjective, but this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone praising the art direction in this game. These characters look equal parts ridiculous and hideous.

This confused me as well.
AFAIK, only 2 characters gets legitimately praised for their design: Cornell and Aeon.
Everyone else looks like Death Note characters cosplaying as Castlevania characters

Also...Hyrule Warriors at num 1...

I dont know: Dragon Quest: Heroes strikes me as a better game and I havent even played it (but plan to eventually)

And then...Link's Crossbow Training??? Over something like Megaman Battle Network? Or Command & Conquer: Red Alert? Or Heroes of Might & Magic? Or Summon Night: Swordcraft Story? Or Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars? Or EDF? (arguably. Not sure if the sh'mup is related to the EDF games we know today)
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008

User Info: darreb510

darreb510
11 months ago#5
I guess Final Fantasy Tactics was not included because of Rule 2

2. If I haven;t played the game, I can't include it, that's just my thing.

If that is the case, it is odd that TC played a GB FF instead of a PS1 classic. Then again, I could be a bit biased...
First Game Ever Played: Mega Man 4
Favorites: FFT, Uncharted 2, AC2

User Info: EgHeadFool

EgHeadFool
11 months ago#6
I don't know how anyone can call Darkside Chronicles an improvement... Umbrella Chronicles was nothing special but it was pretty fun. Darkside Chronicles was a jittery unplayable mess.

User Info: KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK
11 months ago#7
This is a bit of a stretch, since this game was really the first game in the mana series. But it started life as a spin-off, so I'm including it.

Um, no, it's a stretch, because FFA never started life as a spin-off to begin with. Just Square of America decided to slap the name Final Fantasy on to it well after it had been fully developed and released in Japan.

If EA Timbuktu decided to call the next Madden "Dead Space Sports" in Africa, would that make it a spin-off? No, just BS marketing.

User Info: Kashell Triumph

Kashell Triumph
11 months ago#8
Final Fantasy Adventure was known as Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan. It was meant to be a spin-off.
darkrpger: I miss you every day. Game on, my brother.
PSN: Growllanser - @Kashell_Triumph

User Info: Adam_Epp

Adam_Epp
11 months ago#9
Wow, there are many spinoffs better than these ones. Final Fantasy Tactics stands out to me, in particular. Mario has a ton of great spinoffs: Mario RPG, Mario Kart, etc. Portal is a spinoff of Half-Life. Mega Man X is one of the best spinoffs ever. All the Persona games are spinoffs of the Shin Megami Tensei series, which itself is a spinoff of the Megami Tensei series.

User Info: Big Bear is back

Big Bear is back
11 months ago#10
Didn't read, don't like the entries but always happy to see DK Jungle Beat mentioned. Great game.
I agree with all the Big Bear, with the exception of banging dudes for fun. I only do it to assert my dominance. It's never fun. --- DroidKowolluh
  1. Boards
  2. Top 10 Lists
  3. #2972: The Top 10 Spin-Off Games in an Established Franchise, by LostSoul

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived