This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Full collection of Virtual Console & Wiiware block sizes

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii - Virtual Console and WiiWare
  3. Full collection of Virtual Console & Wiiware block sizes

User Info: dhowerter

dhowerter
4 years ago#221
I have an interesting observation.

For a long time the Wii VC (North America) had 411 games, then we lost the 9 C64 games, so down to 402, then the 4 TurboGrafx games came back (Rtype, Vigilante, Legend of the Hero Tonma, Ninja Spirit).

So there SHOULD be 406 games on there now (North America Wii VC), but if you look at the top of the Wikipedia page for the List of NA Wii VC games it says there are currently 407 games (note the SEVEN ;) available!

Is that a typo (Wikipedia is usually pretty up to date on this sort of thing) or did ANOTHER game come BACK in there somewhere?! :-O)

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
4 years ago#222
dhowerter posted...

....... Is that a typo (Wikipedia is usually pretty up to date on this sort of thing) or did ANOTHER game come BACK in there somewhere?! :-O)

Good observation, dhowerter!! I was thinking about that and decided to have a look.
While I didn't find anything added, I did notice that TWO games have been delisted this month. One of those delistings was announced in advance, but the other was SILENTLY delisted (meaning: taken off without warning).

With that said:

Updated news for October 2013 (this is a BIG one) :

The following TWO games have been DELISTED from the original Wii's virtual console as of October 2013:

1) Yoshi's Cookie (NES)

There is some VERY important news regarding this game. While it was announced earlier that the game would be delisted on October 18th (and it was) something else happened.
If you have this game already bought and downloaded, do NOT erase it. Unlike other delistings where you can still redownload the game from your history, you can NOT do that with Yoshi's Cookie.

Yoshi's cookie has been 100% DELETED from the virtual console, it's not just a regular delisting. If you accidently erase the game, you can NOT redownload it since it's been 100% removed from the servers. If you bought this game from virtual console, be EXTRA careful to not delete it.... or you will NOT be getting it back.

as for the other game that got delisted ....

2) Super Turrican 2 (SNES)

Super Turrican 2 was delisted earlier in the month on October 7th 2013. If you wanted this game and didn't have a chance to buy it, it's too late now since it is definitely delisted as of now.

(On a side note, Super Turrican 1 and Mega Turrican are still available on the Virtual console as of this writing, but Super Turrican 2 is definitely delisted).

It should be noted that unlike Yoshi's Cookie (which Nintendo gave an advance warning about being delisted on October 18th) there was NO advance warning in regards to Super Turrican 2 (and if there was, it was NOT present on the opening page to the Wii shop like the delisting announcment for Yoshi's Cookie was).

Does this mean that Super Turrican 2 has been deleted as well as delisted?
I own this game on Virtual console, so I decided to check myself. Despite being delisted, it has NOT been deleted. In other words, you can NOT buy this game if you never bought it since it's been delisted, but you CAN download it if you accidentally erase it and already bought it since it has NOT been deleted from the servers.

Aside from the two games above, there is OTHER important news this month

Nintendo of Japan has officially announced that production of the original Wii has ended

According to an article on Nintendo Life (from October 21st), the following has been reported:

"Not so long ago Nintendo Japan issued a statement to confirm that it was planning to bring Wii production to a close.

An updated notice on the Wii product page now states that manufacturing has ended, suggesting that once existing stock is sold that could be the end of the system. That said, Nintendo of Europe reacted to the previous update by stating that it had no specific announcements of its own to make at that time; the widely-held assumption is that when the Kyoto headquarters made that move the effect would be worldwide

The Wii has sold over 100 million units and delivered a memorable library of games. If this is indeed the end, then the little system that dared to provide motion-based standard-definition gaming in a perceived age of HD and FPS dominance — deserves warm praise"
(edited 4 years ago)

dhowerter
4 years ago#223
Yep. Now Wikipedia says 405 North American Virtual Console games, when it should be 404. ;) (see my previous post)

(It said 407 before but, as you mentioned Yoshi's Cookie (NES) and Super Turrican 2 (SNES) were delisted, so 407 - 405 = 405)

Thanks for the info! ^_^

dhowerter
4 years ago#224
dhowerter posted...
Yep. Now Wikipedia says 405 North American Virtual Console games, when it should be 404. ;) (see my previous post)

(It said 407 before but, as you mentioned Yoshi's Cookie (NES) and Super Turrican 2 (SNES) were delisted, so 407 - 2 = 405)

Thanks for the info! ^_^

zzeennoolloo
4 years ago#225
dhowerter posted...

(It said 407 before but, as you mentioned Yoshi's Cookie (NES) and Super Turrican 2 (SNES) were delisted, so 407 - 405 = 405)

Thanks for the info! ^_^

Thanks, dhowerter!!
Also, I've got to wonder if we will be getting something new for Virtual console next month.
The reason I bring that up is because .....

(drumroll, please .....)

WE GOT A NEW WIIWARE GAME !!! ....

With that said ....

Updated news for NOVEMBER 2013:

This comes as a HUGE surprise as I was NOT expecting there to ever be another Wiiware game ever again after Retro City Rampage (released earlier in 2013) didn't do well in sales (NOTE: Retro City Rampage is an AWESOME game which I highly recommend everyone buy. It's a great game, but the Wiiware version didn't sell that well at all).

Anyway, the new Wiiware release is a game that has been released on the Wii before, but under a RETAIL release.
This new Wiiware game (released on NOVEMBER 21s in North America and NOVEMBER 29th in Europe) is:

Deer Drive Legends (for only 500 points)

So, how many blocks of memory does this game take up?
I'm going to have to post that information sometime tomorrow.
Why tomorrow instead of now?
Well, that brings me to my next point:

There has been a slight change made to the Virtual console and Wiiware service

Before, even if you had 100 points, you could still check to see how many blocks a game took up.
Now, you MUST have the same amount (or more) that the game is worth in order to check. If you don't, it will say "you don't have enough points" and it will NOT show you the amount of blocks needed for download.

I currently only have 200 points, BUT I will be getting more points tomorrow afternoon since I want to download another game.

This brings me to my next point:

Wii point cards are being phased out

It was announce a few months back that Wii point cards would begin to phase out, but it wasn't until THIS month where things began to look VERY noticeable.

In the past, I would buy Wii point cards (2000 points a card) at my local CVS which is five minutes away from my house. As of this month, ALL CVS stores (at least the CVS stores in MY state. This might be different for other states) do NOT carry Wii point cards anymore. Instead, cards for Nintendo's Eshop (for Wii U and 3DS) are the only Nintendo cards available.

My local Walmart and Gamestop still has 2000 point Wii cards, but they do NOT expect to order more once they run out

So what alternatives are there to buying games on Virtual console and Wiiware?
You could use a credit card.
HOWEVER,
If you hate using credit cards, you can buy a Vanilla Visa card (it's a gift card) at places like Rite Aid and CVS and use some of the money on the gift card to buy Wii points (and use the rest of it on other stuff outside of gaming if you have money left over). It's a GREAT alternative if you hate using credit cards on the Wii shop and can't find Wii point cards.
HOWEVER, be warned you have to pay an extra $5 at the register for an activation fee (this sucks).

Also, for BOTH credit cards and Vanilla Visa gift cards, the Wii shop charges tax (about 60 cents per 1000 points you get).

Anyway, a Vanilla Visa gift card is used the same way as a credit card on the Wii shop. Of course, if you can still buy Wii point cards within driving distance, get those instead while they last.
Wii point cards will not last once current stock runs out.

(TO BE CONTINUED .... I'll be posting the block size to Deer Drive Legends soon).
(edited 4 years ago)

zzeennoolloo
4 years ago#226
Added Thursday, 11/21/13:
Wiiware:
Deer Drive Legends (285 blocks)

Price: 500 points.

SPECIAL NOTE: Back in October, I reported that production for the original Wii system came to a close. On Tuesday, 11/19/13, Nintendo of America released the new Wii Mini system in the United States. It has been released in Canada and the UK prior to this, but on 11/19/13, it was released to people in the United States. The Wii Mini is black and red, comes with a red Wii remote with motion plus built in, has a flip-top disc drive and is a smaller version of the original Wii system with some features removed (EX: No SD card slot, no online connectivity and a few other features also removed) in order to price it at a cheap, entry level price bundled with Mario Kart Wii.
Who, what, where, when and how?
(edited 4 years ago)

dhowerter
4 years ago#227
zzeennoolloo -

I really like the look of the Wii Mini. The color red reminds me of the Famicom. I may consider getting one at some point simply to save wear and tear on the disc drive of the normal Wii ;)

(toploaders like the Wii Mini = most reliable kind of disc drive and the disc never touches the console except for the very center so discs stay minty! :)

BTW, does the USA Wii Mini REALLY come with Mario Kart Wii? Normally that kind of thing is mentioned on the outside of the packaging, but every pic of the USA Wii Mini's box so far doesn't even mention it COMES with a game!

Have you seen any pics of the USA Wii Mini box advertising that it comes with Mario kart Wii on the packaging?

(edited 4 years ago)

User Info: NitroGamerSNES

NitroGamerSNES
4 years ago#228
^

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_medium/1179/11799911/2366564-wiimini1.png

They're advertised with MKW on every package I've seen in the USA. Not a horrible deal if you need an extra wii remote and you didn't already have Mario Kart Wii. Otherwise, really not worth the investment.
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.

zzeennoolloo
4 years ago#229
dhowerter posted...
zzeennoolloo -

I really like the look of the Wii Mini. The color red reminds me of the Famicom. I may consider getting one at some point simply to save wear and tear on the disc drive of the normal Wii ;)

(toploaders like the Wii Mini = most reliable kind of disc drive and the disc never touches the console except for the very center so discs stay minty! :)

BTW, does the USA Wii Mini REALLY come with Mario Kart Wii? Normally that kind of thing is mentioned on the outside of the packaging, but every pic of the USA Wii Mini's box so far doesn't even mention it COMES with a game!

Have you seen any pics of the USA Wii Mini box advertising that it comes with Mario kart Wii on the packaging?

Hello dhowerter !!!
How are you? Sorry it has taken me quite a while to respond. Anyway, buying the Wii mini to save wear and tear on their current Wii (especially if one has a backwards compatible Wii) is a good idea. Toploader systems always have a LOT less problems in the long-run than other systems (the more reliable top loading Sega CD model 2 vs the slightly problematic Sega CD model 1 is a really good example since I had to dismantle / open up my Sega CD model 1 a few years back to replace the drive belt under the moving disc tray. I had to remove several parts inside the model 1 in order to get to the layer the drive belt was located and then put everything back correctly after I replaced the drive belt).

Also, yes, discs will stay a LOT more minty in the long run in a top loading system (so using a Wii mini for games like Xenoblade chronicles is a good idea).

Granted, for people who have never owned a Wii, going with a used backwards compatible Wii with internet access to the Wii shop and access to online functions used in games like Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing is a good idea. HOWEVER, as a secondary Wii system to keep discs in better condition and to save wear and tear on older Wii's, the Wii mini is very nice to have. Also, Wii mini would be good for new comers who don't care about online.

And yeah, Wii mini definitely comes with Mario Kart Wii (in the U.S, at least).

Okay, time to do the December 2013 report (I'm late as hell, but I'll do it in the next post since a few things happened during December 2013 at the last minute).
2014..... the year of Zzeennoolloo.
(edited 4 years ago)

zzeennoolloo
4 years ago#230
Okay,
I'm late on reporting this, but I wanted to be 100% sure since I had read that we lost TWO virtual console games during December 2013 and I was waiting for them to officially disappear in the North American Wii shop.
With that said:

Updated news for DECEMBER 2013:

Before I get to the two delistings, I have other bad news to report.
NO new games were released on either Virtual console or Wiiware during December 2013.
This is VERY weird since, out of the blue, we got a NEW Wiiware game for the original Wii at the end of November 2013 (Deer Drive Legends, which is 500 points and 285 blocks). This was VERY strange since NOTHING had been released on the Wii shop since June 6th, 2013 prior to Deer Drive Legends being released at the end of November 2013 (so you figure we would have gotten a small wave of two more new games during December 2013).

Sadly, nothing new was released during December 2013. I don't know what the sales were for Deer Drive Legends, but considering it's release was a HUGE surprise most people didn't find out about till later and February's Retro City Ransom's sales were abysmal on the original Wii (despite being a great game), I'm taking a guess that Deer Drive Legends didn't sell well (despite being a nice game). I have this horrible feeling that I'm probably one of the handful of people that actually bought it. Sales of Deer Drive Legend might have scared away anything else on the Wii shop that was being considered.

Anyway, MORE bad news happened when TWO games were delisted during December 2013 (I checked early Tuesday, December 31st, 2013, to check if they had been removed or not. As of now, they are both 100% definitely removed):

1) Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure : Formerly located in the Sega Genesis section of the Virtual console, this game is now DELISTED. In other words, if you didn't buy it for virtual console. you will NOT be able to play it on your Wii since it has been removed from the Virtual console.

Also, ANOTHER game published by Activision for virtual console was delisited. That game was:

2) Shanghai 2: Dragon's eye : Also formerly located in the Sega Genesis section of virtual console, Shaghhai 2 is now DELISTED.

In summary: we got NO new games for December 2013, but we LOST two virtual console games during December 2013.

So now this leads us to this question:

What will the future hold for Wiiware and Virtual console on the original Wii ?

Sadly, I'm 100% certain that Deer Drive Legends (released during November 2013) is the FINAL Wiiware game and the FINAL game released for the entire Wii shop on the original Wii.

HOWEVER ....

I will CONTINUE to do monthly reports (on time for 2014 as oppose to being late) since I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a significant amount of delistings sometime during 2014. I HOPE I'm wrong and hope NOTHING else gets delisted, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose at least a few more titles during 2014.
ALSO ....
Just like the four Irem games that were RElisted during 2013, we could always get a game or two relisted, so you never know.

Anyway, I wish EVERYONE a happy 2014 and I will be back sometime in January with a report for January 2014 (and I hope we don't have anything else delisted)
EDIT: Over the weekend, in my next post, I will post a list of ALL the games released during 2013, with block sizes and prices as well as a list of games that were delisted during 2013. I'll also post a short list of all the games relisted. I'll put all of these in ONE post (in my next post) over the weekend (so expect the lists on 1/5/14). As for the January 2014 report, I'll wait till the end of January to see if anything gets delisted during January.
2014..... the year of Zzeennoolloo.
(edited 4 years ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii - Virtual Console and WiiWare
  3. Full collection of Virtual Console & Wiiware block sizes

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Closed