This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360 - Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace
  3. Why can't I play Indie games offline?

User Info: BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat
4 years ago#1
When the ethernet port on my Elite 360 stopped working, I lost access to all the Indie games I bought until I finally decided to buy a Wireless Network Adapter. Now my internet bill has spiked (it's like AT&T wants to be hated) so I'm not sure how much longer I can afford it, meaning a loss again to my Indie library.

What is the point of this online requirement? Are Indie games more susceptible to piracy so they need to be constantly monitored and updated or something? I really don't get it. And to think they planned to implement this requirement for Xbox One's entire library.
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
There is still no escape.

User Info: Seanie1200

Seanie1200
4 years ago#2
It is because online play is not rated by the ESRB or any other ratings board. As the games are always played online Microsoft does not require them to have an ESRB rating to issue a licence for them.

Sorry if this answer seems vague but I can't think how else to put it. I know what I want to say but I am not sure if it is clear.

User Info: combatcm1

combatcm1
4 years ago#3
Because they get more money that way
Seanie1200 posted...
It is because online play is not rated by the ESRB or any other ratings board. As the games are always played online Microsoft does not require them to have an ESRB rating to issue a licence for them.

Sorry if this answer seems vague but I can't think how else to put it. I know what I want to say but I am not sure if it is clear.
Probably.
However, ESRB has no legal backing at all.

Possibly, indies are tied to online connectivity so MS has a good idea which ones are actually being played, and which ones are crap that don't deserve disk space and bandwidth.

BlueFlameBat
4 years ago#5
Questionmarktarius posted...
Seanie1200 posted...

Probably.

Possibly, indies are tied to online connectivity so MS has a good idea which ones are actually being played, and which ones are crap that don't deserve disk space and bandwidth.

Maybe, but ratings boards can be kinda pushy. The ESRB might have some kind of agreement with developers that they either rate all their games or none of them. The MPAA doesn't have legal power either, but movies that aren't rated by them rarely get as much attention or availability. Perhaps MS is using the always-online requirement as a loophole through their deal with the ESRB.
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
BlueFlameBat posted...
Perhaps MS is using the always-online requirement as a loophole through their deal with the ESRB.
Yes, "some lawyer said so" is the most plausible theory.

BlueFlameBat
4 years ago#7
I'm not defending Microsoft, make no mistake. I'm just saying that's probably the reason.
And a pretty lame reason at that.

User Info: Seanie1200

Seanie1200
4 years ago#8
BlueFlameBat posted...
Questionmarktarius posted...
Seanie1200 posted...

Probably.

Maybe, but ratings boards can be kinda pushy. The ESRB might have some kind of agreement with developers that they either rate all their games or none of them. The MPAA doesn't have legal power either, but movies that aren't rated by them rarely get as much attention or availability. Perhaps MS is using the always-online requirement as a loophole through their deal with the ESRB.

This is basically it. Despite having no legal power many retailers - Microsoft included as part of xbox live is a shop - will not stock games that are not rated. The same goes for movies. MS uses the fact the online play is not rated as a loophole to allow user created content to be available on live as indie games.

It is also a loophole whereby if any issues arise from indie games - copyright, illegal content etc - MS will not be held responsible as they have not approved the content in any way.
Seanie1200 posted...
It is also a loophole whereby if any issues arise from indie games - copyright, illegal content etc - MS will not be held responsible as they have not approved the content in any way.
Ooooo! Leveraging "safe harbor", eh?

That's clever.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360 - Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace
  3. Why can't I play Indie games offline?
  • Topic Archived