This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Improve my build

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: twilitlink33

twilitlink33
1 year ago#1
Hi all - Just bought DOOM, love it so far but am having issues running it on any setting higher than medium.

My build is in my signature.

What is a cost-effective way to upgrade my system? I am thinking either the CPU or GPU needs an upgrade, but I don't want to spend too much. I am in Canada if it matters.

Thanks
i5 2500k 3.2 ghz quad core, GTX 770 2GB, 20GB DDR3, 750 watt OCZ, Win10

User Info: R_Brock

R_Brock
1 year ago#2
Upgrade the GPU. A Geforce 1060 is about $260 USD, but it would work fine. The wife has the same CPU (but recently OC'd to 3.9ghz) and I'm going to get her a 1060 or 1070 for her birthday here at the end of the month.

The CPU really isn't the problem, if you want better game performance it's almost always a GPU upgrade you're looking at.

Also the stock speed for the 2500k is 3.3ghz... so why are you running it below stock? And really that CPU overclocks really well and everyone and their dog owned a 2500k at some point so there's plenty of guides that cover optimal settings for OC. You should be able to 4-4.2ghz pretty easily. In fact the only reason I "only" OC'd the wife's CPU to 3.9 was because of some issues I had with her motherboard coupled with a dying CPU fan that I had just replaced and was just being conservative and I just haven't gotten back to it.
Job: .NET developer
PC: i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz, GeForce 970, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 500GB SSD + 3TB HDD, Dual Monitors

User Info: twilitlink33

twilitlink33
1 year ago#3
I was always sort of intimidated by OCing. I never wanted to overheat and ruin anything. I will go ahead and do that for sure, thank you.

Is the 1060 the 6gb one?
i5 2500k 3.2 ghz quad core, GTX 770 2GB, 20GB DDR3, 750 watt OCZ, Win10

User Info: R_Brock

R_Brock
1 year ago#4
I think it has 6GB, I know it's the 1060 one... which is more relevant than the specific amount of RAM.

Yeah, I'm not a super OCing expert or a purist or anything like that. The last few PC's I've had I only OC'd after a few years, just because. The wife has had the 2500k since early 2012 and I only just OC'ed it a few months ago. It's never too late. And if you can build a PC you can fiddle with a few settings, be conservative about it, run some tests and check your temps and then get on with your life. It's pretty painless. And you've gone this long without doing it so no rush or anything.
Job: .NET developer
PC: i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz, GeForce 970, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 500GB SSD + 3TB HDD, Dual Monitors

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
1 year ago#5
Yes, definitely OC the CPU because it will bottleneck if not OC'd. And then upgrade GPU.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived