This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: squallken1

squallken1
4 weeks ago#1
I know it's not worth buying one if you want to make a deck with it, but what I really want is to get copies of commons, uncommons and get a rare (1-3) so coveted that it would make anyone part with a cavern of souls or force of will.

User Info: BadDecisions

BadDecisions
4 weeks ago#2
Fiscally, almost never.
If the value of the cardboard inside exceeds the value of the box, then more people open boxes until that isn't true anymore.
You could luck out and open the world's best M21 box right now and theoretically pull enough value to trade for those things, but in reality, it would be cheaper to just buy those things than it would be to open the average booster box and get good enough trade fodder for them. The best value is always just directly buying the item that you actually want, because you could open a box and get mostly $0.50 Rares and like a $10 Mythic and a bunch of garbage between and the total trading value of a ton of $0.50 Rares and a $10 Mythic is $10.

Booster boxes are fun, though. You can played sealed or draft games with them, and the joy of opening packs is its own reward.

User Info: PDXRoverMech

PDXRoverMech
4 weeks ago#3
You can buy a play set of all the commons and uncommons on eBay for like $20. Then have $80 left for whatever rares/mythics you want. I buy a box because I have fun spending 2-3 hours playing sealed with friends. I recently bought a collector box of core 2021 because I had never done it before. never again. It’s cool opening a lot of shiny things, but I couldn’t draft with it and didn’t get the value back.

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
4 weeks ago#4
if you're buying specifically to try and come up, then absolutely not. Most boxes you're lucky just to break even on and older, more expensive ones are even more of a "pull these specific few expensive cards or lose hundreds buying bulk".

If you're looking just to acquire a lot of bulk specifically from a single set then it's not the worst way to do so, but you're still usually better off looking for sellers that do playsets of commons and uncommons from sets.

If you're looking for specific cards, especially rares and mythics, from a set then absolutely not worth it, just buy singles.

If you want to do limited formats at home, be they sealed or draft, then that's the real value in buying a box, especially if multiple people chip in and cut the price per person down.

If you just like cracking packs en masse and don't especially care that you're not likely to pull value or a specific card you want and you can spare the money to do so then it really is fun to do even if not the best way to spend money on Magic product.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW | Nintendo Switch: SW-1891-6374-1416 Official R.O.B. of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate board

User Info: kelemvor

kelemvor
4 weeks ago#5
It's funny that this topic came up, because I actually bought my first box ever last week. I split it with friend and I definitely came out ahead for my $50. I got a Teferi and an Ugin, Spirit Dragon. I also got a Scavaging Ooze, Baneslayer Angel, and Grim Tutor.

However, I agree that it's better to just buy some bulk commons and then find the rares/mythics you want and buy them separately. I just got the box so my buddy an I could open them together and smack talk a little. I definitely got the good half of the box compared to what he got.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: smash fanatic

smash fanatic
4 weeks ago#6
It's not worth it if you think from a monetary perspective

It's "worth" it if you like gambling but acknowledge the fact that over the long run you will lose money.

It's definitely worth it if you buy the packs to do drafts and such. Pay $100 for a box, get 11 friends to draft with you. Or get 7 friends + 12 packs leftover or something. You can get a good night with the bros for about $5-10 per person.
You try getting killed thousands of times and having any other expression than "Existence is suffering". - R_Hunter
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: pnyhmsmx

pnyhmsmx
4 weeks ago#7
kelemvor posted...
It's funny that this topic came up, because I actually bought my first box ever last week. I split it with friend and I definitely came out ahead for my $50. I got a Teferi and an Ugin, Spirit Dragon. I also got a Scavaging Ooze, Baneslayer Angel, and Grim Tutor.

However, I agree that it's better to just buy some bulk commons and then find the rares/mythics you want and buy them separately. I just got the box so my buddy an I could open them together and smack talk a little. I definitely got the good half of the box compared to what he got.
These days if me and my brother ever get a box, we split after looking up the prices and getting cards accordingly.
As of 08/19/2014, Masahiro Sakurai ascended into a higher plane of existence, as Hentai Sakurai.

User Info: PDXRoverMech

PDXRoverMech
4 weeks ago#8
pnyhmsmx posted...
These days if me and my brother ever get a box, we split after looking up the prices and getting cards accordingly.
Yeah I don’t like going halves on a box and people keeping what they open. It usually leaves someone feeling bad.

User Info: VincentVega

VincentVega
4 weeks ago#9
PDXRoverMech posted...
Yeah I don’t like going halves on a box and people keeping what they open. It usually leaves someone feeling bad.

My friend and I would choose colors we want and you keep those colors. For uncolored cards we would try to divide them evenly if there were doubles and roll for any we wanted that there were only singles of. Same with multicoloured cards. It made it a little more fair that way.
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
As someone who's been buying at least one booster box for nearly every expansion released since the days of Ice Age, I'd say almost definitely not if you're expecting to profit or at least break even on your investment.

My best ever luck was a booster box of Conflux about a decade ago or so, where I ended up pulling 6 Mythics, and even then combined with (then) going rates for all my other pulls, it still fell short of the cost of investment by a decent margin.

And if you're just targeting a specific card/s, then yeah, it's generally a better bet to just purchase the singles outright rather than relying on luck.

I purchased an Ikoria booster box recently in the hopes of getting at least one Rare/Mythic Godzilla variant, and the only one I pulled was King Caesar. Oh, and the box topper yielded a second King Caesar. >_< >_< >_<

At least the store owner of the TCG store I bought it from threw in a Godzilla King of the Monsters, so it wasn't a complete loss, but yeah.
  • Post New Message