This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Collectible Card Games - Magic: The Gathering
  3. Return of GameFAQs (Vanishing) 3 Card Blind... (Round 83)

User Info: Chrono007

Chrono007
9 years ago#1
A while (years?) ago, Jolt135 ran a version of 3 card blind that I enjoyed, so here it is again. The rules are pretty simple; submit a deck of 3 cards to myself by gamefaqs PM before midnight Saturday the 16th (or when I check my private messages the next morning, sorry no specific deadline). These 3 cards are your complete deck, and will be expected to compete against all other entrants twice (once going first, and once going second). Your deck gets 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and nothing for losing. Once all the points are totaled, a victor (or possible more depending on ties) is declared and cards used in the winners decks are banned can't be used again.

Note that when playing each other, you start with all cards in your hand and have complete information on the other person's deck when playing, and you also play perfectly. You don't lose when you are unable to draw a card from your library as well (since you don't have a library).

Depending on how many entries there are, I will either post all the decks here and have everyone compute the wins/losses themselves. Or I will attempt to score them myself :P.

Current round: 83
Start: Monday July 11, 2011
End: Saturday, July 16, 2011 @ midnight

Current Ban List and Rules & Regulations
http://soniccenter.org/sm/mtg/3cb/rules.html

Archive of Rounds
http://soniccenter.org/sm/mtg/3cb/

Later versions of this will be moved to my own site ( http://topolla.net/3cb/ ), since I can't update Jolt's <_<.
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
--Albert Einstein
(message deleted)

User Info: Cheater Hater

Cheater Hater
9 years ago#3
It's not that bad I think--it's better than other 3CB's (or 4 or 5) where you have a lot more decks you could use. I admit that the ban list is long, but you can just think of a deck and search the list to see if it's on there. Nothing stops you from running a simple deck (Plains, Elite Vanguard, Condemn for example) for the first round or two and seeing how the metagame works out--that's the real joy of a 3CB: predicting a metagame.

I'm guessing that prior 5CB wasn't Vanishing--a non-Vanishing #CB not only still requires a banlist, but also more clunky rules to prevent the game from becoming a farce--Vanishing allows you to ban the cards like Force of Will, Black (and Blacker--Un-cards are allowed if that wasn't clear ;) ) Lotus, Channel, and Blackmail that would otherwise warp the format without rules like "you can't win on your first turn".

User Info: Grand_Superior

Grand_Superior
9 years ago#4
I was looking through the archives and I laughed at how the first round had so many "The Cheese Stands Alone" entries.

This sounds interesting. I didn't get into this when it was around, but I remember seeing the topics. I might think something up for this.
~Th3 GrÅnD€§† SµPeR1Ør~ *572437*
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj276/Grand_Superior/SC04162008.png?t=1208316776

User Info: Silver_leaves

Silver_leaves
9 years ago#5
I do remember Jolt changed the rules after '08. Not sure what happened to that 3cb though.
League of Legends IGN: League of Lame
Steam ID: Multiple Sclerasis

Cheater Hater
9 years ago#6
Silver_leaves posted...
I do remember Jolt changed the rules after '08. Not sure what happened to that 3cb though.

I don't think there were any rules changes--the 3CB just died due to lack of interest I think

User Info: Hydrox_Z

Hydrox_Z
9 years ago#7
don't ban any lands than only add mana imo

e.g. dual lands and depletion lands def. should be legal

maybe just start over since there's been 90 prior rounds of bans
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2128/ronpaulbawwlp9.jpg
Now on shirts! -http://www.cafepress.com/hydroxdz.273099730

Cheater Hater
9 years ago#8
Hydrox_Z posted...
don't ban any lands than only add mana imo

e.g. dual lands and depletion lands def. should be legal

maybe just start over since there's been 90 prior rounds of bans

the two cycles of depletion lands and Ravnica bouncelands probably could be unbanned at some point--another long-running V3CB unbanned those three cycles when the entire cycle was banned. However, those are unique effects, while there are a ton of dual land cycles, even for enemy colors.

Would there be interest if we started over? On one hand I can understand that having so many cards can be daunting at first (especially if you didn't play the first time around), but the first 15 or so rounds are really boring, as all the overpowered decks need to get banned first for there to be real innovation (and other than new sets, there isn't much innovation to be had from the initial card pool).

I wonder how many people have entered so far? I've done my entry, and Jolt probably has done his, but I don't know about everyone else.

User Info: hiroki09

hiroki09
9 years ago#9
anyone here knows crimson vs from hack//gu series?
i'm thinking playing edh and 3 cards (possibly noncreattures and alot of restrictions) with total converted cost not more than the general's cmc... arrange the 3 support cards and submit to someone who would mediate the battles... each one starts with 40 life minus his general's cmc (possibly twice its value) then the rest would be crimson vs (possibly including that part where a card gets +1 over certain colors)... but that's just off the top of my head...
when all your friends are fat
there are no seesaws... only catapults

User Info: Weeniemann

Weeniemann
9 years ago#10
Entered
lolbifrons
  1. Boards
  2. Collectible Card Games - Magic: The Gathering
  3. Return of GameFAQs (Vanishing) 3 Card Blind... (Round 83)
  • Topic Archived