• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - Golf
  3. Question about "below par" scores

User Info: Josiah_Revived

Josiah_Revived
7 years ago#1
So, everyone (well, almost everyone) knows that a Birdie is one below par, or -1, and an Eagle = -2.

The rare feat, as I'm sure this board well knows, is an Albatross, or a -3.

According to Wikipedia, a "Condor" is a -4, something which has only been recorded four times in history and never in a professional tournament.

As if that wasn't insane enough, an "Ostrich" is a -5, which basically means you'd have to hit either a hole-in-one on a Par 6 (good luck finding a hole that long in the first place) or hole the ball within two strikes on a Par 7 (yeah, OK).

Obviously, no Ostrich has ever been recorded. BUT.... there's still one more...

The mythical... Phoenix, equivalent to a -6. Yes, that means a hole-in-one on a Par 7. Now, the Satsuki golf course in Sano, Japan has a Par 7 hole (964 yards, longest in the world), so a Phoenix is theoretically possible, but I mean, come on.

So, my question is: do you think any mortal being could ever achieve a Phoenix? What about the slightly-more-feasible Ostrich? Better yet, will we ever see a Condor in professional play?

Josiah_Revived
7 years ago#2
P.S.: I'm new to golf. I made a giant list of 157 topics (covering every conceivable field) and one by one I will randomly select one and learn as much as I can about it. Golf is the first topic I got.

I just started learning about it today, and it's been quite interesting. In relation to the above post, I read about the "Coefficient of Restitution," which deals with the bounciness of objects, or in this case, the golf ball, specifically how well it "bounces" off the club. So, apparently the USGA has set a limitation on the COR of golf balls, to a ratio of 0.83 (1.00 = elastic collision).

So, do you think if, hypothetically speaking, the USGA allowed a golf ball with a COR of 1.00, that an Condor, Ostrich, or Phoenix would become plausible?

User Info: Werecreature

Werecreature
7 years ago#3
No to all.

COR deals with driver club faces, not balls. A few years ago there was abig stink about some Taylor Made drivers being over the COR limit imposed by the USGA and R&A.
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/gimli.gif

Josiah_Revived
7 years ago#4
Right, my mistake. Even so... you don't think even a condor is possible in professional play?

User Info: texasfan22

texasfan22
7 years ago#5
I don't think it is possible and will never be done on a pro tour because

1. Driving the green on a Par 5 is near impossible unless it all downhill and you absolutely crush it.
2. Even if you somehow manage to drive the green on a Par 5, the chances of it going in the hole are probably less than you actually being able to drive the green.

Just my 2 cents on this, been in a debating mode all day lol.
PSN: SF_giants_22 Call me Tex
Member of the Buster Posey Fan Club

User Info: Werecreature

Werecreature
7 years ago#6
The longest drivers on tour max at 400 in perfect driving conditions (downhill, with the wind) with 330 being a more normal long drive. The shortest par 5s on tour that could even cater to this kind of shot are 530+ yards, so really.... there's no chance of it ever happening.
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/gimli.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - Golf
  3. Question about "below par" scores
  • Topic Archived