• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Social
  3. Obligatory "I can't believe this board is still here" Post
--nintendude-- 3 years ago#1
New Smash game is coming out and it got be nostalgic for the good ol' days. I was a kid in late middle school/early high school and I used to get on this board every day. First it started as a place to gush about Smash Brothers, but after a while it became... way, way more. I made friends here at a time in my life where making friends wasn't always easy. We laughed, we argued, we goofed around, we brought each other up when we needed it the most.

I remember the day we found a mini-golf game you could play online in your browser and we just spent the whole afternoon playing like it was a day in the park with your buddies.

I remember we used to "take over" other boards for games with little fan followings. I remember when we "declared war" with the Twilight Princess board.

I remember a guy came on here with a fake leak and we called him out about it, and he got so upset over everyone making fun of him he came back and said "WHILE ALL OF YOU WERE BEING NERDS ABOUT YOUR VIDEO GAMES I WAS HAVING SEX!" and we all died laughing.

I remember we'd role play and write fan fictions and draw art and not be afraid to get creative... and everyone was always so supportive and receptive to each other's art.

I remember one day a user's mother was either very sick or recently passed and he came on and asked if we believed in Heaven. Everybody's answers varied and nobody judged anyone for what they believed. I don't remember what I said exactly but it felt like an important day.

Then... I don't know, the game came out I guess. Everybody slowly slipped away.

Today I kind of went down a rabbit hole and started looking up old user names from here and http://newssbb.smfforfree3.com/index.php (where a lot of us migrated to for a little while) and I found something that made my heart jump: it was the board for a game called Ninja Commando that had been untouched by any moderation.

Ninja Commando was one of our "taken over" boards.

I started going through and found all of these posts from ten years ago in topics that are unlocked and untouched. There's fooby and Spat and randomguy and magic and Jawoooooooooooo (12 o's! I still remember!) and -911-. It's so weird because it's like no time as passed at all, like I could respond to a thread and suddenly I'm a kid huddled over my laptop playing pretend all over again with necro and sasori and zeldafan and Blue_Annihilator and tbizz and razor and Gamefreak_Jake.

Just thought I'd share. I saw a few posts like this and I wanted to leave my mark as well and say I'll never forget.

I'll never forget the time I was so impatient for a video game I accidentally made friends.
dark_magishian 3 years ago#2
Crazy how time flies huh? I think part of the reason I login and check on GameFAQs is for the nostalgia and the crazy feeling that there's this stage in my life that is now frozen and preserved thanks to the internet. Every time I visit here it feels like I'm time traveling just a tiny bit and it's a crazy feeling.

I really wish I was more mature a decade ago while I was coming here, but nevertheless I truly hope that everyone who used to come here frequently is now living a happy and healthy life.
Shrillbert 3 years ago#3
dark_magishian posted...
Crazy how time flies huh? I think part of the reason I login and check on GameFAQs is for the nostalgia and the crazy feeling that there's this stage in my life that is now frozen and preserved thanks to the internet. Every time I visit here it feels like I'm time traveling just a tiny bit and it's a crazy feeling.

I really wish I was more mature a decade ago while I was coming here, but nevertheless I truly hope that everyone who used to come here frequently is now living a happy and healthy life.

Healthy, certainly. Happy...how things have changed since I was here last.
Whenever I hear the phrase "Man Cave" I turn on the Stabby-stabby X10.
Well, the Book didn't pan out, so I'm writing a short story collection instead.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Social
  3. Obligatory "I can't believe this board is still here" Post
  • Topic Archived