This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - Hockey
  3. Puck Propaganda's 2013 Mock Draft Topic

User Info: PuckPropaganda

PuckPropaganda
6 years ago#1
OK, finalized my mock draft for the opening two rounds and figured I'd post it here, one pick at a time, with additional info I won't have on the website once I toss it on there.

Obviously I fully expect there to be trades and re-arranging of the order come draft day, it'll definitely happen, so this mock draft is purely based on everyone staying where they are based on the draft order at this point in time.

Might take a day or two to post it all, but anyway, time to get the ball rolling with the first overall pick...
The lone authoritative voice in a world of biased hockey media.
http://www.puckpropaganda.com

PuckPropaganda
6 years ago#2
With the first overall selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Colorado Avalanche are pleased to select, from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, Nathan MacKinnon.

Booooooo!!!! Hiissssssss!!!!!!!!

As much as the Avalanche don't need another center and do need a legit #1 defenseman, they won't pass on MacKinnon if "forced" to use the first overall pick. Besides, Paul Stastny is all but guaranteed to be traded either during the offseason or at the deadline anyway, so the depth down the middle won't be as impressive without him. Also, MacKinnon has far greater potential than anyone else in the system, so an eventual one-two punch of MacKinnon and Duchene at center has to be intriguing. Obviously it won't be as good as Sakic-Forsberg, but it's nonetheless an excellent core to build around.

I still like the odds of Colorado trading down and instead taking Seth Jones, but I'm not going to predict trades here and royally mess with the draft order, despite the fact I'd love to not give the dirty Avalanche this pick.

1. Colorado Avalanche - Nathan MacKinnon

PuckPropaganda
6 years ago#3
With the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Florida Panthers proudly select, from the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, Seth Jones.

And with that, Jones is taking his talents to South Beach. Florida already has some excellent young defensemen on their roster and a few more in the minors, but none have the same level of obvious potential that Jones has. Assuming he can reach that potential, he should be able to partner up with Dmitri Kulikov eventually and form an excellent top pair. Behind that could form a great shutdown tandem of Erik Gudbranson and Alex Petrovic. Fill in the rest with some combination of veterans and Mike Matheson and you've got a championship calibre defense. Potentially, of course.

I think it's pretty obvious Florida would prefer to trade up and grab MacKinnon, but failing that I don't think they'll be able to pass on Jones in favour of Jonathan Drouin. It's certainly possible, but I can't see it happening.

2. Florida Panthers - Seth Jones

PuckPropaganda
6 years ago#4
With the third overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Tampa Bay Lightning are thrilled to select the reigning CHL player of the year and Memorial Cup champion, Jonathan Drouin.

This is essentially the most obvious selection in the entire draft. Drouin is arguably the top player available and on top of that he also fills the most glaring weakness on the team, both on the active roster and in the minors, as their available resources at left wing are mostly horrendous. I don't know if he'll be able to step in on that top line with Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis from the outset, but if so, look out. Eventually he should become the long-term replacement for St. Louis and Stamkos/Drouin will look to achieve the same success of Lecavalier/St. Louis in their heyday.

3. Tampa Bay Lightning - Jonathan Drouin

User Info: ktownslayer16

ktownslayer16
6 years ago#5
I dont think Drouin plays next year. He likely wont make the team unless he's in a top 6 role and that might be too soon for a guy of his size
**** the NHL

PuckPropaganda
6 years ago#6
With the fourth overall selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Nashville Predators select Aleksander Barkov Jr. of Finland.

The Predators are in desperate need of top line forward talent and there are roughly four available players at the high-end talent spectrum capable of fulfilling that role. However, we'll rule out Valeri Nichushkin almost immediately as Nashville does have some promising wingers and practically no one capable of a first line center role. That leaves Sasha Barkov, Elias Lindholm, and Sean Monahan. Monahan would be the safest pick, but he seems more likely to top out as an excellent second line center and the Predators should already have that covered with one of Austin Watson, Zach Stepan, or a veteran already on the roster.

Lindholm has a slightly better all-around game than Barkov at present and may be a more natural fit to gel with the Predators lone current first line talent, Filip Forsberg, but Barkov has a more elite offensive skillset already with nearly a year shorter development time and also has a much more prototypical first line center build. He's also arguably the most NHL ready prospect in the draft. All of those points should sway Nashville into making the correct decision here.

3. Tampa Bay Lightning - Jonathan Drouin
4. Nashville Predators - Sasha Barkov

PuckPropaganda
6 years ago#7
ktownslayer16 posted...
I dont think Drouin plays next year. He likely wont make the team unless he's in a top 6 role and that might be too soon for a guy of his size

I think he'll definitely be given an early opportunity to seize the job and I'm somewhat confident he'll be able to have the same immediate impact that Jeff Skinner had a few years ago. Roughly the same size players and if he's protected like Skinner was it should reap major rewards.

User Info: ktownslayer16

ktownslayer16
6 years ago#8
that's a good comparison. Both are elite skaters too. I hope he makes it... he's going to be a Patrick Kane type player in a few years. Exciting to watch and can do incredible things with the puck
**** the NHL

User Info: bigpapajohn

bigpapajohn
6 years ago#9
At the end of the day it's about development. I don't think he has much to learn in junior. He dominated with and without Mac.

MacKinnon is NHL ready, no doubt. And Colorado should be attempting to make the playoffs. Makes sense to have him around.
Jones I think could use a year more in the Dub. I don't think the Panthers aren't really gonna make noise next year. I don't think it's worth burning a year off his ELC. He's probably good enough talent-wise but you gotta weigh whether or not he can develop a lot safely in the WHL getting bigger/stronger/leaner, or whether he really would be best called up to play/practice against the pros.
Drouin on the other hand could be used in a cushioned role on a competitive TB team, assuming that's where he's drafted.
Barkov is apparently NHL ready. Play away in Nashville.

I don't know a whole lot about the other top prospects but I think everyone else will have a hard time justifying playing in the bigs next year.
Led Zeppelin. Because they never let me down.
F*** you NHL.

User Info: bigpapajohn

bigpapajohn
6 years ago#10
I'm gonna be in Vegas for the draft goddammit.
Led Zeppelin. Because they never let me down.
F*** you NHL.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - Hockey
  3. Puck Propaganda's 2013 Mock Draft Topic
  • Topic Archived