This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. #1 WR rankings in tiers per NFL coaches and evaluators

User Info: SK8T3R215

SK8T3R215
1 week ago#1
Over the past few months, I’ve asked coaches and evaluators around the NFL what makes a true No. 1 wideout in their minds. Some of their answers were as nuanced as the receivers themselves, but their input provided a framework for categorizing the top wideouts.

No. 1 wide receivers (Superhuman division)
Coaches and evaluators thought these receivers possessed special traits to go along with proven production.

Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
Odell Beckham, Cleveland Browns
Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

No. 1 wide receivers (Human Division)
Many coaches and evaluators anointed these guys with the No. 1 label, but they didn’t always see special traits to push them into the superhuman division.

DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans
Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints
Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

No. 1 wide receivers (…if you say so)
Coaches and evaluators acknowledged the talent and/or production, but a larger number weren’t willing to fully anoint for various reasons.

Amari Cooper, Dallas Cowboys
Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers
T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts
Keenan Allen, Los Angeles Chargers
Adam Thielen, Minnesota Vikings

From Mike Sando at The Athletic. If you want some more info on guys above or guys not in the tiers here let me know there are blurbs about them.
New York Knicks, New York Jets, New York Yankees.

User Info: sktgamer_13dude

sktgamer_13dude
1 week ago#2
How is Hopkins not in the first group.
http://i.imgur.com/jWVrg9U.gif http://i.imgur.com/g2efUtT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5dOwhaP.jpg http://i.imgur.com/LVdqu8J.gif Go Cougs and M's #DI4B

User Info: ghettorevival

ghettorevival
1 week ago#3
How is Thomas not in the first group.

User Info: 1NfamousACE_2

1NfamousACE_2
1 week ago#4
Where's Antonio Brown?
Bros before hoes - Martin Luther King Jr

User Info: steph4here

steph4here
1 week ago#5
Where's EdelMAN? :?
Shakira >>> JLo
Proud member of the Mickie Maniacs

User Info: RighteousTip

RighteousTip
1 week ago#6
1NfamousACE_2 posted...
Where's Antonio Brown?
Gahbage
https://i.imgur.com/bUl7fAv.jpg

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
1 week ago#7
Hill over Hopkins is f***in madness

Diggs not being at least #1 wideout tier is also questionable.
Learning something new everyday

SK8T3R215
1 week ago#8
sktgamer_13dude posted...
How is Hopkins not in the first group.

ghettorevival posted...
How is Thomas not in the first group.

tldr version: Don't have elite speed basically.

DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans

Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 212 | Slot: 16%

Some think true No. 1 receivers should carry a vertical fear factor. Hopkins doesn’t have that kind of speed.

“There are different types of 1s,” an offensive coach said. “Randy Moss was not a great route runner, but everyone knows he was a 1.”

Hopkins seemingly can turn 50-50 balls into 100-0 balls.

“When the ball is up in the air, when it is either yours or mine, he is unbelievable,” an evaluator said. “I sat there and watched our guy (cornerback) play his butt off against him, but he just didn’t have the ball skills.”

Brown, Jones and Hopkins are the only wide receivers averaging at least 90 receiving yards per game since 2017.

“They are different guys,” an offensive coordinator said. “There are guys who beat people because they are just better, and guys who cannot separate but have the hand-eye coordination and competitiveness. It’s the difference between Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins, or Odell Beckham and Keenan Allen. With Hopkins, all his stuff is contested and he catches everything, but you don’t fear him like you fear Odell or Julio.”

Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 212 | Slot: 22%

Thomas leads the league in receptions with 366 since entering the NFL in 2016. Hopkins (320) is next on that list.

“Everyone wants to make him a No. 1, but he catches a lot of balls because they do not throw to anyone else,” a coach said. “He is the real deal, though. He’s got such great production and he’s so smart and he has everything but the great speed.”

Thomas’ playing temperament and production earned high praise

“He outfights guys for balls, he outfights guys on releases,” an evaluator said. “You know the kind where you go out and play and someone says something about your mother and you suddenly play at that next level like, ‘Oh s***, it’s on’? Well, he has that the moment he walks on the field, which is really unique. He has such a chip on his shoulder.”

Being a second-round pick has something to do with that.

“I thought he was a 1 coming out and people were a little hard on him,” a GM said. “He is a little stiff coming out of his break, but I think he does everything else.”

Thomas runs shallower routes than most top receivers. Since 2017, he’s been targeted 8.8 yards past the line of scrimmage on average. That figure is consistent with leading slot receivers, but Thomas aligns outside most of the time. Jones (14.0 average target depth), Beckham (11.6), Hill (13.8) and Hopkins (12.2) work further downfield.

“Michael Thomas, yes, I would say he is a No. 1,” a former GM said. “It’s just, does he have the game-changing ability?”

.1NfamousACE_2 posted...
Where's Antonio Brown?

Wasn't even listed in the other section.

steph4here posted...
Where's EdelMAN?:?

In the other section.

“I wish there was another category of guys that are just consistently good, consistently solid. I would not say Julian is a No. 1. I think he is a darn good slot.”

SK8T3R215
1 week ago#9
bvillebro posted...
Hill over Hopkins is f***in madness

Diggs not being at least #1 wideout tier is also questionable.

Stefon Diggs, Minnesota Vikings

Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 191 | Slot: 24%

“I actually think Diggs is a better receiver than Thielen even though Thielen has the stats. I think you can line up Diggs inside and outside to get open. I think Diggs can do what Davante Adams can do, but they don’t use him in that role. The more outside Thielen is, I think you can cover him.”

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
1 week ago#10
i knew their knock on hopkins would be speed

how about his superhuman level hand strength. 160+ targets last year and only 2 drops, the lowest of any player with over 130 targets.

For comparison, Julio had 7 more targets and 2 less receptions than Hopkins but 7 more drops

thanks for the responses TC
Learning something new everyday
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. #1 WR rankings in tiers per NFL coaches and evaluators
  • Topic Archived