This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. 2001-Present Patriots or 1981-98 49ers?

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
4 weeks ago#121
You know whay devin you win. 80s/90s players are garbage. 2010 players are better. Brady is GOAT. Did I do it right?
"When he at the mic you don't go next" MF DOOM
NS FC: SW - 1251 - 6932 - 4815 3DS FC: 4313 - 2332 - 4563

User Info: looked

looked
4 weeks ago#122
---Devin--- posted...
Dude the Pats HAVE A ROTATING TEAM, of course they have it harder. Again, you cannot keep the core of a team together anymore because of salary cap. Montana could keep the constant of a Clark, Rice, Craig etc. with people like Bryant Young, Lott etc. They had the better players in the league, so they could keep them. You keep hollering about other players when the 49ers had not only the #1 offense but also defense they could keep together for years.

49ers had a rotating team. None of the players were there for all 5 rings. They won Super Bowls before and after any player than you can name came or went. Even if you want to limit it just to the 80s, there were only 5 players that were there for all 4 titles, and they aren’t all super stars. Montana, Lott, Eric Wright, Jesse Sapolu, and Keena Turner.

The Patriots have at least the Brady/ Belichick combo for their entire run. The 49ers moved on from Montana, and Bill Walsh retired, and they kept it going. Actually with the exception of championships, they may have been better.

User Info: ---Devin---

---Devin---
4 weeks ago#123
Vegeta1000 posted...
You know whay devin you win. 80s/90s players are garbage. 2010 players are better. Brady is GOAT. Did I do it right?

80’s 90’s players aren’t garbage. Just as a whole aren’t better than players now. That’s going to be the same process in years now. Players only get better, schemes only get better. If Lamar Jackson actually keeps throwing the ball how he is now coupled with his running? There would literally be no way to stop him. Hell, Mahomes is one of the best QB’s I’ve ever seen in only his second true year. He’s a hyper Favre who is faster and more accurate. As strong as an arm Favre had (and he had one of the strongest arms of all time) with Mahomes pitching background his arm probably is even stronger. Players get better through time, that’s the reality.
Slime Season

Vegeta1000
4 weeks ago#124
looked posted...
---Devin--- posted...
Dude the Pats HAVE A ROTATING TEAM, of course they have it harder. Again, you cannot keep the core of a team together anymore because of salary cap. Montana could keep the constant of a Clark, Rice, Craig etc. with people like Bryant Young, Lott etc. They had the better players in the league, so they could keep them. You keep hollering about other players when the 49ers had not only the #1 offense but also defense they could keep together for years.

49ers had a rotating team. None of the players were there for all 5 rings. They won Super Bowls before and after any player than you can name came or went. Even if you want to limit it just to the 80s, there were only 5 players that were there for all 4 titles, and they aren’t all super stars. Montana, Lott, Eric Wright, Jesse Sapolu, and Keena Turner.

The Patriots have at least the Brady/ Belichick combo for their entire run. The 49ers moved on from Montana, and Bill Walsh retired, and they kept it going. Actually with the exception of championships, they may have been better.

Good thing you brought this up. Jerry Rice wasn't even on the first two 49ers championship teams and Montana still won SB MVP in both games. Roger Craig wasn't on the first SB team. The leading rusher for the 49ers that season had under 700 yards. The 1994 49ers roster was much different from the 1989 roster which was much different from the 1981 roster.

---Devin--- posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...

80’s 90’s players aren’t garbage. Just as a whole aren’t better than players now. That’s going to be the same process in years now. Players only get better, schemes only get better. If Lamar Jackson actually keeps throwing the ball how he is now coupled with his running? There would literally be no way to stop him. Hell, Mahomes is one of the best QB’s I’ve ever seen in only his second true year. He’s a hyper Favre who is faster and more accurate. As strong as an arm Favre had (and he had one of the strongest arms of all time) with Mahomes pitching background his arm probably is even stronger. Players get better through time, that’s the reality.

I'm not saying that today's players aren't better at least physically. I'm saying that mental attributes is just as important as physical attributes if not more. Montana, Young, Aikman, Favre, Marino, Elway, Fouts, Moon, and Kelly were smart QBs too. Exploiting defenses, knowing when to run, and limiting mistakes is important for QBs too.

User Info: BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder
4 weeks ago#125
Vegeta1000 posted...
Brady is GOAT. Did I do it right?

Looks good to me

BanthaFodder
4 weeks ago#126
This Montana argument is old and stale btw. Everyone knows Brady is the best ever but I understand the need for debate

Vegeta1000
4 weeks ago#127
BanthaFodder posted...
This Montana argument is old and stale btw. Everyone knows Brady is the best ever but I understand the need for debate

This isn't about Brady vs Montana. It's about which team had a more dominant run.

BanthaFodder
4 weeks ago#128
Vegeta1000 posted...
This isn't about Brady vs Montana. It's about which team had a more dominant run.

The Patriots run is still in full effect so the debate is pointless

Vegeta1000
4 weeks ago#129
According to Football Outsiders the 49ers were statistically a top 5 team every season from 1983-1998. Top 5 in 1981 also. That's pretty damn impressive.

BanthaFodder posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...

The Patriots run is still in full effect so the debate is pointless

Not really considering their run is just slightly longer than the run the 49ers had from 1981-1998.

BanthaFodder
4 weeks ago#130
Brady can retire next year and the Patriots can go on to win 7 straight superbowl with 3 different qb's. How funny would this topic be in retrospect
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. 2001-Present Patriots or 1981-98 49ers?
  • Topic Archived