This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Official San Francisco 49ers offseason topic: Bosa or bust V2

User Info: abaddon41_80

abaddon41_80
1 month ago#31
Bosa's posts just make me want him more. He has an edge to him that a good defender needs, not like weak-sauce Solomon Thomas.
I HATE ALEX SMITH

User Info: MattSFfrd

MattSFfrd
1 month ago#32
soloman thomas is too soft
https://i.imgur.com/gtPDla0.jpg

User Info: tearsofrage

tearsofrage
1 month ago#33
I might be dumb for thinking this, but I think that Solomon Thomas might unbust a bit this year.

Assuming that we draft Bosa and hes the real deal, a line of Bosa, Buckner, and Ford is pretty difficult to block.

Thomas is still an incredible athlete, and defensive tackle is the position that he plays best at. Maybe if our coaches play him at the one spot hes actually ok at (instead of moving him all around the line), he could actually be decent.

Or maybe he just sucks and theres no way around that.
"Oh look - a dumb idea just found a friend!"
- Emerson Cod

User Info: JohnMafia

JohnMafia
1 month ago#34
The whole "Thomas is much better inside" thing is weird. If that is truly the case, then shouldn't we be concerned about our staff that they have a guy they picked 3rd overall play so far out of position that he is so non impactful. We keep thinking that as soon as they start playing him inside consistently, he will suddenly become a big contributor. If that actually happens, isn't that alone a fireable offense for Saleh and co?
https://i.imgur.com/AzrOW44.gifv

User Info: tearsofrage

tearsofrage
1 month ago#35
I think that when we drafted him, we thought we were drafting Michael Bennet. We thought that we could put him anywhere and that Thomas would beast.

Obviously that didn't happen.

We know that Shanny was critical that Thomas wasn't in during a late game drive. We know that the d-line coach got fired, in part, for his handling of Thomas.

The problem is sample size. He only played inside every so often. So, is it a situation where he's actually better on the inside? Or is it a situation where, the times when he played inside were just easier situations and putting him there full time wilm show that he just sucks.

But, I am very critical of Saleh and I have called for his job in the past. Once they saw that Thomas could not play every position on the line, they should have immediately stopped trying to put him everywhere and taught him one position. The guy clearly couldn't learn 4 positions, but maybe he could learn 1.

But, if we surround him with 3 all star caliber players, that's clearly to his (and Armstead's) benefit as well.

But all this is hypothetical. If he sucks, he sucks, and it doesn't matter who he's playing with.
"Oh look - a dumb idea just found a friend!"
- Emerson Cod
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MattSFfrd

MattSFfrd
1 month ago#36
he also said he was really bothered with everything about his sister, which is understandable.
https://i.imgur.com/gtPDla0.jpg

User Info: CourtofOwls

CourtofOwls
1 month ago#37
🤣🤣🤣 one of bosa's deleted tweets was "dwayne wade looks like a parrot fish"
[?]
"Are you a replican or a replicant?" - Rick Deckard, Blade Runner, 1982

User Info: Big_Gold

Big_Gold
1 month ago#38
Solomon is arguably our second best interior pass rusher behind Buck. Which begs the question, why so few snaps there?

Was Zgonina to blame, sure, but I think it's unfair to put all the blame on a DL coach. Saleh and or Shanny could have overruled him at any point instead of waiting until the later part of the season.

Whenever I notice that Solly isn't getting many snaps, I think about his Stanford film. Not the Bowl game that caused the "experts" to proclaim that Solly was a top 10 pick after projecting him as a late 1st to early 2nd the week before. I'm talking about the film where he showed piss poor effort. I don't think that Solly practices well/hard. Spoon didn't practice well/hard as a rookie and didn't get to play right away.

I think this guy said it best about Solly.

"It’s going to come down to whether teams think he will fix his effort issues on the next level, and, since his hands aren't likely to grow any more at this point, if he can get his hands stronger."

User Info: Big_Gold

Big_Gold
1 month ago#39
My bad, I forgot the link for the quote I posted.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/11/15162716/solomon-thomas-scouting-report-breakdown-2017-nfl-draft

User Info: hypersonic2000

hypersonic2000
1 month ago#40
I posted a video in the other topic showcasing Solomon's inside snaps in the later half of the year. It wasn't too bad.

But at this point, he will probably never live up to his #3 overall billing, obviously. Right now, I think he is a decent run stuffer who has a little bit more pass rush ability than Armstead at least on the inside.

Armstead's main problem is that once he beats his inside man, he tends to overrun the QB, and miss tackles. Doesn't have any change of direction and is generally a slow plodding big guy.

Solomon tends to overrun people too, but I think he can recover and has a little bit more athleticism compared to Armstead....

To be honest, I don't know why we brought back Armstead on his 5th year option. Its just a huge waste of money when we have so many big ends on the roster, and you could have easily played Solly here in base. Then move him inside in nickel. Bringing back scrubs like AA and Ward has me scratching my head at Lynch. I don't care what PFF says about AA. The dude just sucks. They grade him on a curve since hes above average at run defense, and bad at everything else.
49ers, Warriors, Giants, Sharks fan for life
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS 2015, 2017, 2018 NBA CHAMPIONS
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Official San Francisco 49ers offseason topic: Bosa or bust V2
  • Topic Closed