This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Zvarri! Official Packers topic: Rodgers is a b**** and I find it hot edition

User Info: Bloodychess

Bloodychess
3 weeks ago#171
nightmare75 posted...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-film-room-rashan-gary

Gary looks like the kind of guy that can kick inside on passing downs and f*** s*** up. The talk of a persistent shoulder injury really worries me though.

you can never have too many pass rushers, but Gute has dumped a lot of resources in that position this year and none of them are even close to sure-things. it's going to really hurt next year especially if none of these guys pan out. there's a real chance of that happening imo

https://youtu.be/adtdRjNbpJk
To err is human
To arr is pirate

Bloodychess
3 weeks ago#172
dkgerbil2 posted...
Bloodychess posted...
Okay

"Gary is probably going to bust, he has no production, his size is way out of sorts, and he might need surgery. But in Gute I trust."

There's the class, I'll pretend every first pick should be met with optimism.

You're really not doing yourself any favors here dude. Many people here expressed their dislike of the pick without saying like "I'm not even excited for pick 30" or "I won't be excited about this team until the season starts" or anything like that. Your entire vibe since that pick has been akin to the girls on sweet 16 who complain that their parents got them last year's car model instead of this year's.

Yeah, because at face value the pick is awful. I'm not going to mince words, sorry not sorry you can't handle that.
To err is human
To arr is pirate

User Info: some09guy II

some09guy II
3 weeks ago#173
lilant55 posted...
I think we could've given on fourth and that first round pick. All I'm saying two fourths was a bit much.

Actually wasn't. Look at a draft value chart. Pick 21 is worth 800. 30 is 620. The two 4th rounders are worth 124. So in fact we gained roughly a fourth round pick's worth of value in the trade.

I was also hoping to have Hakeem in the fourth. He's going to be the next Megatron. I've been hoping for that all off season. I would spend a third if needed on him honestly.

Hakeem could go damn well anywhere. He's been projected up to the second (which is where I foresee us beginning to attack our weapons). Aside from which, we've still got plenty of picks in this draft. I don't foresee us remaining pat.

User Info: _apple_juice_

_apple_juice_
3 weeks ago#174
Savage's athletic comp is Nick Collins.
There's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!

User Info: lilant55

lilant55
3 weeks ago#175
some09guy II posted...
lilant55 posted...
I think we could've given on fourth and that first round pick. All I'm saying two fourths was a bit much.

Actually wasn't. Look at a draft value chart. Pick 21 is worth 800. 30 is 620. The two 4th rounders are worth 124. So in fact we gained roughly a fourth round pick's worth of value in the trade.

I was also hoping to have Hakeem in the fourth. He's going to be the next Megatron. I've been hoping for that all off season. I would spend a third if needed on him honestly.

Hakeem could go damn well anywhere. He's been projected up to the second (which is where I foresee us beginning to attack our weapons). Aside from which, we've still got plenty of picks in this draft. I don't foresee us remaining pat.

So are you picking Hakeem second or are you coming in for a risky third. If not him who? Address the offensive line or TE position? Defense I think will be dominate with the picks we used and player we acquired during off season.

User Info: dkgerbil2

dkgerbil2
3 weeks ago#176
Bloodychess posted...
I'm not going to mince words, sorry not sorry you can't handle that.

Likewise. Handle disappointment with maturity or keep your mouth shut. You were wrong about many other things you said tonight. I sure hope your assessment of Gary follows suit. It would certainly bode well for the team moving forward.

lilant55 posted...

Definitely not. Again, the second fourth we used was what we got by trading away Ha Ha. It was a pick that was created by trading away a player who they knew they weren't going to resign (i.e. getting something out of nothing). They turned that pick into his replacement. It's a great example of turning a negative asset into a positive. When they announced what the Packers gave up, Rich Eisen had to say that the Seahawks had very few picks left in the draft after their first rounders and were effectively just looking to get something for that pick since they had two first rounders after trading Clark. In fact, for the Giants to move from 37 to 30, it cost them two fourth rounders as well. To move up from 25 to 22, the Eagles had to give up a fourth and sixth. Honestly, moving up 9 spots in the first round and only giving up two fourth rounders is a GREAT value.
All my friends are in bar bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4

User Info: dkgerbil2

dkgerbil2
3 weeks ago#177
lilant55 posted...
So are you picking Hakeem second or are you coming in for a risky third. If not him who? Address the offensive line or TE position? Defense I think will be dominate with the picks we used and player we acquired during off season.

IMO, you grab Taylor/Ford/Risner/McGovern or your preferred WR with the second rounder. Third rounder you can likely find a solid TE there. Even though the Packers notoriously slammed Polite in his interview process, I wonder if they've removed him from the board entirely or where teams think he fits. He was a guaranteed first round talent (mocked to us at 12 often in the early process) who had a historically bad interview process. I think a team takes him before we draft again in the fifth, but despite his interview do you pull the trigger on him if his talent slips that far? My gut says yes.

Of note is that the Packers have two fifth rounders. If there's a prospect they really like in the fourth, they can go get him. The extra fifth is the other pick we got from the Saints last year, which could be the gift that keeps on giving.

I also really like how our secondary is shaping up. Alexander, Amos and Savage present what we hope is a very reliable back end. We've invested a bunch into improving our pass rush and we already have a fairly solid defensive line. ILB outside of Martinez remains a concern, but the pieces are starting to line up. It's possible they bring back Wilkerson on a very cheap prove it deal (less than the one he signed last year given the injury) and hope that massive improvements to the safety position and a great d-line can manufacture pressure for the OLBs. If all goes according to plan, we could see both Smiths hit 10 sacks, but that's an overly optimistic view without seeing the parts in action. Hopefully King can finally stay healthy (unlikely) or Jackson significantly improves to solidify another CB spot.
All my friends are in bar bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4

User Info: lilant55

lilant55
3 weeks ago#178
dkgerbil2 posted...
lilant55 posted...

IMO, you grab Taylor/Ford/Risner/McGovern or your preferred WR with the second rounder. Third rounder you can likely find a solid TE there. Even though the Packers notoriously slammed Polite in his interview process, I wonder if they've removed him from the board entirely or where teams think he fits. He was a guaranteed first round talent (mocked to us at 12 often in the early process) who had a historically bad interview process. I think a team takes him before we draft again in the fifth, but despite his interview do you pull the trigger on him if his talent slips that far? My gut says yes.

Of note is that the Packers have two fifth rounders. If there's a prospect they really like in the fourth, they can go get him. The extra fifth is the other pick we got from the Saints last year, which could be the gift that keeps on giving.

I also really like how our secondary is shaping up. Alexander, Amos and Savage present what we hope is a very reliable back end. We've invested a bunch into improving our pass rush and we already have a fairly solid defensive line. ILB outside of Martinez remains a concern, but the pieces are starting to line up. It's possible they bring back Wilkerson on a very cheap prove it deal (less than the one he signed last year given the injury) and hope that massive improvements to the safety position and a great d-line can manufacture pressure for the OLBs. If all goes according to plan, we could see both Smiths hit 10 sacks, but that's an overly optimistic view without seeing the parts in action. Hopefully King can finally stay healthy (unlikely) or Jackson significantly improves to solidify another CB spot.

To be honest all those names you mentioned and Hakeem are great if we want a TE maybe Irv Smith Jr. The guy can line up anywhere. He could a great TE while replacing Cobbs position although I think St. Brown will do that no problem.

The only reason I could see Packers not going for Hakeem is because they trust Geronimo will be back and healthy this year and next upcoming years. Unfortunately I don't like that idea. I want a reciever who can do it all and has the ability to bring what we've been missing Driver/Jordy/Freeman/Sharpe ability. He has the talent and we have the weapons to make it happen.

Not to many analysts are high on Hakeem. He could slip to 3rd round or even be picked up second. If that's the case OL then Hakeem for my hopes lol but we'll see.

User Info: nightmare75

nightmare75
3 weeks ago#179
if you look at the Chase Stuart draft value chart (http://www.footballperspective.com/draft-value-chart/), which is empirically derived from the actual value realized from draft picks, we gained 2.3 points of value by moving up from 30 to 21 and spent 8.7 points to do it, so we lost 6.4 points of value, the equivalent of a mid-third. if you just look at the draft capital we spent on Savage (pick 30 plus the two 4ths), it adds up to 21.3 points of value, or roughly the eighth overall pick in the draft. that's a lot to spend on a safety.

on the Jimmy Johnson chart, it looks like a win, but smart franchises aren't using the Jimmy Johnson chart anymore and for good reason. it's outdated and was based on how teams valued the picks themselves rather than how good of a player you could get for a given pick.

I think I like Savage as a prospect, but I also think we overpaid for him.
North Dakota State University Bison - CARSON WENTZ HYPE TRAIN
http://i.imgur.com/JrFHPXC.jpg http://i.imgur.com/m47iYHE.jpg

Bloodychess
3 weeks ago#180
dkgerbil2 posted...
Likewise. Handle disappointment with maturity or keep your mouth shut.

You are the one throwing a hissy fit for the sake of forced optimism. People won't always have the same opinion as you, welcome to the real world. Grow up. Stop being a homer.
To err is human
To arr is pirate
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Zvarri! Official Packers topic: Rodgers is a b**** and I find it hot edition