This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. How was John Elway perceived during his career?
Growing up in Texas, you didn't hear much about anything going on other than the Cowboys (or on occasion, the Oilers), so I didn't get the drop on Elway and the Broncos much growing up. Especially without the exposition that the internet provides now, I just always knew that Elway was a quality player, and that was that.

However, now he's treated like an all time great, many players wear #7 in homage to him, and he'll probably die running the Broncos organization since I don't see them firing him literally ever.

Was that always the case, though? He lost 3 Super Bowls in terrible beatdowns in his prime, there was The Drive, but he didn't win any Super Bowls until all of his contemporaries had already retired and the Cowboys Dynasty was over (and even then, allegations of cheating surround those two SB's).

Phillip Rivers gets s*** on day in and day out for not having any rings, and this board would have a field day if he won a Super Bowl by virtue of Ben, Eli, and Brady being out of the league. Even Ben and Peyton get a little shade for their horrid SB performances, and Peyton's inability to win more than two have hurt his legacy a tad by putting him as not a unanimous #1 GOAT QB without debate. I guess my question is this: What was the overall image of Elway before the two Super Bowl wins? Top 1-3 QB? A grand choker? Or was Dan Marino not winning a ring distracting from any insult? Now, factor in those two rings. Was his legacy cemented by then, or do they boost him to the point of rightfully being on the QB Mount Rushmore?
BALTIMORE RAVENS

User Info: TreyFlowers

TreyFlowers
6 days ago#2
GreedoShootsFirst posted...
A grand choker
PATRIOTS
Tom Brady objectively has six rings.

User Info: robbobmur

robbobmur
6 days ago#3
Since the NFC won every SB from his 2nd season until the Broncos beat the Packers , he was regarded as someone who needed a ring to be considered among the best QBs in league history, but was a HOF before his 2 wins.

Rivers catches crap because he had his opportunities , and didn't capitalize on them , while Ben & Eli did.
he was basically looked at as Marino (great but no rings) until he finally won.
http://cdn.visualnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/117.jpg
http://tigerbeatdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/lost-finale-jack.jpg

User Info: looked

looked
6 days ago#5
The Bills losing 4 straight kinda let Denver and Minnesota off the hook as franchises. I’m not even sure how many people realize Minnesota has lost 4 Super Bowls.

But yeah, Elway was considered a choker, he lost 3 in 4 years, and lost some of the most 1 sided games in the super bowl. The last 3 years changed the narrative on his career, but even the people recognized that he was lucky that Terrell Davis came along.
yeah TD is pretty much the reason that Elway has rings, he was f***ing unstoppable
http://cdn.visualnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/117.jpg
http://tigerbeatdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/lost-finale-jack.jpg

User Info: Steebe

Steebe
6 days ago#7
Most of his on field accomplishments were being ignored at the time due to off the field issues, including accusations that he was the biological father of Eric Cartman.
If it was any other way it would be different.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
6 days ago#8
Elway is easily the most overrated QB in history
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: looked

looked
6 days ago#9
Steebe posted...
Most of his on field accomplishments were being ignored at the time due to off the field issues, including accusations that he was the biological father of Eric Cartman.

That didn’t come out until his final year, and even then Comedy Central wasn’t a national channel yet, so most people didn’t find out until after he retired.

User Info: BilalPowell

BilalPowell
6 days ago#10
To this day I still think Bill Romanowski was the father.
#1 Birmingham Iron Fan
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. How was John Elway perceived during his career?