This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Roberto Aguayo - The worst pick in NFL history.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Roberto Aguayo - The worst pick in NFL history.

User Info: IWantANewKlug

IWantANewKlug
2 months ago#1
Let's look at all the criteria for judging how good a pick is.

The cost

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded their 3rd and 4th round picks in order to draft Aguayo in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft. Trading up for a kicker might be acceptable in the later rounds as those are primarily picks spent on fliers, special teamers, and the like. That usually involves the swapping of some 6ths and 7ths. This was a cost so far beyond market expectations that it can only be laughed at as a response.

Who else was available?

After trading up, the Buccaneers could have drafted a litany of players without missing expected value. Notably, in the picks immediately following Aguayo's selection, All-Pro safety Kevin Byard was selected. Just a handful of picks later, current beast-rising pass rusher Yannick Ngakoue was selected. Ignoring the potential of others to climb in stature, they ignored at least two monstrous players that would have more immediate and lasting impact on the team.

How was he?

Reaching for a player is fine if they later prove to be a valuable member of the team. If someone had taken Tom Brady #1 overall with his 6th round perceived value, there would be zero criticism of the pick once everything had played out. So did Aguayo overcome his value? Lmfao, f*** no. He was awful, kicking 70% in his rookie year and missing multiple extra points, which were said to be a big part of his value--automatic inside 40.

How many years did the team get out of him?

Even a bad value pick can turn around if they contribute meaningfully for several seasons. It may not be ideal to have a second rounder only be an above-average starter for 7 years, but that would still be 7 years of good play and would make the pick reasonable. During the 2017 offseason, Aguayo began hearing voices and being awful in camp. After one appearance in the preseason during which he missed another field goal, he was immediately cut and bounced around some practice squads before ending up on the Chargers, a team which will almost certainly cut him before the season begins.

You may say, "But Ghost, Jamarcus Russell sucked bad!" That is true. He was a horrible fat bust. However, a QB being picked #1 overall has more intrinsic value even as a bust than a kicker drafted in the second round. QB busts are an acceptable risk that every team has to take, especially if they end up with the #1 pick and have no answer at the position currently. Kickers in the second round are a risk no one ever has to take.

You may also say, "But Ghost, Ernie Davis!" That is also true. However, previous reasoning applies as to the value of the pick, and I would frankly rather draft someone who later was tragically rendered a bust than draft a kicker in the second round. Also if your only argument is that a man who died from a horrible disease is the bigger bust, then you should re-evaluate your argument.

In summation, lmfao Robert Guacamole, lmfao Buccaneers.
http://i.imgur.com/7bKJ1.jpg

User Info: jordan629

jordan629
2 months ago#2
People calling Ernie Davis a bust is some cold s*** man
Philadelphia Eagles: Super Bowl LII Champions (I changed my sig!)
NOVA NATION: National Champions 1985|2016|2018

User Info: Saquon-26

Saquon-26
2 months ago#3
Worst pick in NFL history — Baker Mayfield

User Info: LRodC

LRodC
2 months ago#4
Malik McDowell was picked in the early second round and never played a snap in the NFL. He’s a worse second rounder than Aguayo.

Vernon Gholston never recorded a sack after being the sixth overall pick in his draft.

Steve Emtman was picked #1 overall by the Colts and his career was plagued with injury.

Ki-Jana Carter injured his knee in preseason and was never the same. Number one overall in 1995.

RG3 injured his knee and was never the same after one season when the Redskins traded the farm for him.

Ryan Leaf. Just Ryan Leaf.

There are far worse.

User Info: theAteam

theAteam
2 months ago#5
How is it not Ryan Leaf?
Buffalo Bills 2018-19 Season Prediction: 5-11
Change my mind

User Info: DoubleTangicide

DoubleTangicide
2 months ago#6
theAteam posted...
How is it not Ryan Leaf?

That goes with Ghost’s point about potential franchise QBs

Yes, he’s a mega-bust, but they didn’t trade up to get him
"Guys, I'm about to blow your minds. Hope this one's a dud"

User Info: BilalPowell

BilalPowell
2 months ago#7
Where does Mike Nugent fall on the list?
Start me, bench Crowell

User Info: Lukey_Bug

Lukey_Bug
2 months ago#8
Danny Watkins. Jesus f***ing christ Reid what were you thinking?
Philadelphia Eagles, Super Bowl LII Champions

User Info: IWantANewKlug

IWantANewKlug
2 months ago#9
BilalPowell posted...
Where does Mike Nugent fall on the list?

Lower because he contributed more for longer to the team.

Also I don't know what they gave up for that pick, so that would affect things.

The fact that XPs were closer also plays into his value.

But overall, not as bad as Aguayo by a sight.
http://i.imgur.com/7bKJ1.jpg

User Info: DiegoSanchez206

DiegoSanchez206
2 months ago#10
LRodC posted...
Malik McDowell was picked in the early second round and never played a snap in the NFL. He’s a worse second rounder than Aguayo.

Vernon Gholston never recorded a sack after being the sixth overall pick in his draft.

Steve Emtman was picked #1 overall by the Colts and his career was plagued with injury.

Ki-Jana Carter injured his knee in preseason and was never the same. Number one overall in 1995.

RG3 injured his knee and was never the same after one season when the Redskins traded the farm for him.

Ryan Leaf. Just Ryan Leaf.

There are far worse.

I would rather take any of those players that play actual football for at least half the game. TB traded up for a kicker. In the second round.

Edit: I’m not arguing for or against, I’m just giving a bit of perspective on this. A kicker has one job. To kick. No thinking at all for the most part. He doesn’t have to play against others. He kicks.
Down goes Ohio State!
https://youtu.be/IRqr8X6w6bo
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Roberto Aguayo - The worst pick in NFL history.
  • Topic Archived