This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there known players/coaches that LOVE to watch football?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Are there known players/coaches that LOVE to watch football?

User Info: Star_Nuts

Star_Nuts
5 months ago#1
That will watch other games for enjoyment, not studying, and follow the season/playoffs?

Just read an article about how Doug Marrone doesn't even watch the Super Bowl and it's odd that someone can love football enough to want to coach or play, but lose the ability to just enjoy the game.

I would imagine this is probably true for a lot of players/coaches. Once it becomes your job, that's all it is.
Not changing this sig until the Chargers win the Super Bowl - 31 Dec 2012
http://therealkenjones.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/chargers-logo.gif

User Info: Gojak_v3

Gojak_v3
5 months ago#2
No. You've eaten, drank, and slept football for hours per day and decades of yer life. The last thing you wanna do is go home and watch it when you have free time. If you notice a lot of football players tend to be basketball fans.
http://i.imgtc.com/rIZcfGBEt8.png

User Info: Triad

Triad
5 months ago#3
Supposedly Gruden does.

I remember they used to show Marty Schottenheimer watching games and critiquing the plays and what not. I'm not sure if it was just for show but it was presented as like an exposé on him and how he likes to watch games.

"They" being the NFL Pregame show on either Fox or CBS (forgot which one).
"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
5 months ago#4
They know the matchups better then the average fan. Not surprised that some don't watch the superbowl. At that point they are out of the playoffs and since player turnover happens in the off season the game means nothing for study purposes. They probably take their vacations that week and get as far away from it all as possible.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: Edible

Edible
5 months ago#5
I feel like Belichick has to genuinely love the sport. Every so often during an interview you'll get someone who doesn't ask him a completely braindead question, and he'll start talk about some really interesting facet of the history of the sport, or analysis into an aspect of the game no one else seems to care about much.
We are on a voyage to the truth. The light shines on the earth...
What are you thinking about so deeply in the face of fact?

User Info: Triad

Triad
5 months ago#6
Edible posted...
I feel like Belichick has to genuinely love the sport. Every so often during an interview you'll get someone who doesn't ask him a completely braindead question, and he'll start talk about some really interesting facet of the history of the sport, or analysis into an aspect of the game no one else seems to care about much.

Yeah, he's a football historian. I bet he has a ton of cool insight into the lore of the game.
"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

User Info: BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder
5 months ago#7
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
They know the matchups better then the average fan. Not surprised that some don't watch the superbowl. At that point they are out of the playoffs and since player turnover happens in the off season the game means nothing for study purposes. They probably take their vacations that week and get as far away from it all as possible.

This is why coaching is terrible in the NFL. At least tune in to see how the winning coaches are handling their s***

User Info: HarryWarden

HarryWarden
5 months ago#8
Belicheck mentioned how great he thought the National Championship game was so I can see him watching if his team isn't in it.

User Info: DavidWong

DavidWong
5 months ago#9
They probably don't even "watch" the games but begin analysing them/writing notes for future matchups.

Doubt a coach would be able to switch off and enjoy a random game. Even in college they'd find themselves scouting/critiquing players form
Nice guy? I don't give a s***. Good father? F*** you! Go home and play with your kids. If you want to work here, close!

User Info: WaterLink

WaterLink
5 months ago#10
Triad posted...
Edible posted...

Yeah, he's a football historian. I bet he has a ton of cool insight into the lore of the game.

I remember him saying Bert Jones was one of the best passers he's ever seen.
No one sings like you anymore
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NFL
  3. Are there known players/coaches that LOVE to watch football?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived