This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NBA
  3. Is there a case for anyone besides Jordan as GOAT?

User Info: GSWarriors-

GSWarriors-
1 week ago#51
It could've been Stephen the Corona Curry however KD ruined any chance of that. KD joined after the season where Curry was the unambitious MVP and Curry would've had at least 5 more seasons at that level of play which would effectively make him greater than MJ minus the defense.

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
1 week ago#52
Kobe "never won a playoff series without another allstar" Bryant has an argument? Cmon.

User Info: Punchsmack

Punchsmack
1 week ago#53
GSWarriors- posted...
It could've been Stephen the Corona Curry however KD ruined any chance of that. KD joined after the season where Curry was the unambitious MVP and Curry would've had at least 5 more seasons at that level of play which would effectively make him greater than MJ minus the defense.

We'll never know Curry's true ceiling because KD joining the Warriors muted Curry's future. In the 2015 Finals, the Cavs backups shut him down until late in the series when they finally figured out how to use Curry effectively, but it wasn't enough to earn FMVP. Plus, beating the Cavs without Klove and Kirving is a tainted title, just like the Raptors winning last year. It's not a full strike against the winning team, it just means the series wasn't played at full strength and it affected the outcome.

In the 2016 Finals, he played like s*** for all of the elimination games. So in a way, that's almost two full strikes against his legacy (maybe 1.5 because he did play well enough to help win in 2015, but for a GOAT conversation, that wasn't resume worthy).

The next two years was all about showing off KD's ability to win in the clutch while Curry took a supporting role. Still, good that they won and he helped, but if we're having a GOAT conversation, he wasn't the deciding factor.

Last year, KD goes down, he balls out to get them in the Finals and then boom, they lose. Not completely his fault, but some were expecting that to be HIS moment to deliver the title and earn a FVMP, but that imploded. Sure, Klay going down killed their chances, but Curry did have a game-tying (or winning) shot in game 6 but clanked it again.

With all that being said, before KD showed up, there were questions about Curry in the Finals, those questions unanswered and he couldn't push through when KD got hurt. So, I'm wondering how you think he'd shake that and win anything had KD not joined?

I'm not bashing the guy, I said above he's still the greatest shooter ever, but GOAT? No way. He doesn't have the resume to be in the conversation.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uhhh....your opinion man."

User Info: ElHarvey15

ElHarvey15
1 week ago#54
GunmaN1905 posted...
Kobe "never won a playoff series without another allstar" Bryant has an argument? Cmon.

You could make a case for Kobe. That's all I've been saying. As I've said, I got Kareem as the GOAT. But you could make cases for Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, LeBron, Wilt, etc. Again, that's all I'm saying. It all depends on preferences and opinions. But to dismiss the resumé that Kobe brings to the table is just dumb.
Mamba Out - Kobe Bryant 4/13/2016

User Info: BlackArsenal

BlackArsenal
1 week ago#55
You can certainly make a case for Kobe. And Tim Duncan. And Hakeem. And Shaq.

It wouldn't be a very convincing case since there are several players definitively better than all of those guys but it's still a case.

User Info: bukshot23

bukshot23
1 week ago#56
Lebron missed his chance. I don;t know why people keep bringing him up. That ship has sailed.
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

User Info: FBI9111

FBI9111
1 week ago#57
Lebron is the only player currently playing who could end up the GOAT but imo he needs two more rings. Giannis can be if he starts winning titles and adds more MVPs and basically dominates the league for the next 10 years. If KD takes the Nets to the title multiple times and can get to 4 rings and 4 FMVP he can move into the top 5. That’s a lot of Ifs but it’s theoretically possible.
You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray. - Euron Greyjoy

User Info: acehole_76

acehole_76
1 week ago#58
BlackArsenal posted...
You can certainly make a case for Kobe. And Tim Duncan. And Hakeem. And Shaq.

It wouldn't be a very convincing case since there are several players definitively better than all of those guys but it's still a case.

You really can’t make any credible case I guess if you’re saying simply I think kobe the is the goat even though I have no legitimate facts to back it up at all then yes you can technically make a case. None of the players you listed heard of any legitimate case but Kobe is the one that has the least legitimate case because everything he did Jordan did better. He is just a photocopy of Jordan and photocopies of never quite as good as the original.

No lives matter.

User Info: Johnny18Damon

Johnny18Damon
1 week ago#59
FBI9111 posted...
Lebron is the only player currently playing who could end up the GOAT but imo he needs two more rings. Giannis can be if he starts winning titles and adds more MVPs and basically dominates the league for the next 10 years. If KD takes the Nets to the title multiple times and can get to 4 rings and 4 FMVP he can move into the top 5. That’s a lot of Ifs but it’s theoretically possible.

Nah Lebron is done he just has too many chokes
I am better than Vanessa Rousso

User Info: Punchsmack

Punchsmack
1 week ago#60
Johnny18Damon posted...
Nah Lebron is done he just has too many chokes

The 2011 Heat/Mavs Finals was 100% a choke, I concur, but what other series were on Lebron?

2007 Spurs/Cavs - Go look at that Cavs roster, you'll laugh. I can make a case Lebron gets credit for getting that team to the Finals, not criticism for losing it (which isn't me saying he gets the same amount of credit as winning the Finals, not by a long shot).

2011 Heat/Mavs - As said above, this is one him.

2012 Heat/Thunder - Won a ring and got FMVP.

2013 Heat/Spurs - Won a ring and got FMVP.

2014 Spurs/Heat - The Heat were railroaded, but was that a "choke" on Lebron? I don't know if I'd throw all of the blame on Lebron, they just got beat, but he owns a percentage.

2015 Warriors/Cavs - Klove and Kirving were out in the Finals. The fact they won 2 games is amazing. No way is that a choke.

2016 Warriors/Cavs - Won a ring and got FMVP.

2017 Warriors/Cavs - The Cavs came back with the same team but the Warriors replaced Barnes for KD. Myabe it's just my personal opinion, but I don't see how you can blame Lebron for this at all. Nobody is beating that Warriors team. Plus, Lebron played his ass off in that series.

2018 Warriors/Cavs - Just like the 2007 Finals, go look at that Cavs roster. Kirving was gone and they had a bunch of random parts thrown together in the middle of the season. Again, Lebron gets credit for carrying that team to the Finals, not criticism for losing it. Plus, this was the series that JR Smith ruined. They still probably lose, but winning game 1 might have changed the way the series ends. We'll never know.

So, by my calculation, he owns a one and a half chokes in the Finals. I don't know if you want to count pre-Finals series, I suppose we might include the Magic and Celtics series before he left for Miami, but he played well in the Magic series, not so much in the Celtics series.

I say all this with the rider of agreeing that Lebron isn't the GOAT and may never be. He's on my Mount Rushmore, but I'm not unrealistic in his comparison with Jordan.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uhhh....your opinion man."
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NBA
  3. Is there a case for anyone besides Jordan as GOAT?
  • Post New Message