This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NBA
  3. Is there a case for anyone besides Jordan as GOAT?

User Info: JamesOwnzMaz

JamesOwnzMaz
4 days ago#1
I know I know this is probably been done a million times but I am actually interested.

I just don't see one against him. LeBron is great and all but he just loses too much and can't dominate like Jordan did.

I remember when Kobe was in prime averaging 37 ppg or whatever people said Kobe would pass Jordan and that didn't happen.

I think because he was just discussed sooo much people starting taking Jordan for granted and forgot just how perfect he was

A 3 peat then retired in his prime to comeback and have another 3 peat? If the Bulls didn't get broken up I think a 7th title is quite likely... maybe even an 8th
I Am The Architect
A back to back 3peat means no
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

User Info: acehole_76

acehole_76
4 days ago#3
kaj and bill russel can both present cases. a title in la and lebron will have case by the end of his career.
No lives matter.

User Info: Daphneries39

Daphneries39
4 days ago#4
Lebron is the GOAT.

User Info: BathroomWater

BathroomWater
4 days ago#5
Bill Russell
"I have a basic understanding of economics."
-Broseph_Stalin

User Info: JamesOwnzMaz

JamesOwnzMaz
4 days ago#6
acehole_76 posted...
kaj and bill russel can both present cases. a title in la and lebron will have case by the end of his career.

I mean, I don't see how one title in LA would make him the GOAT...I'd have no problem with 2 or 3 though.

On the other side what if he has no success in LA? Let's say this season resumes but Lakers lose to the Clippers and then AD leaves so LeBron finishes his career as a 7 or 8th seed.

It would show LeBron could only win in the weak East with no competition
I Am The Architect

User Info: dxtremewarior

dxtremewarior
4 days ago#7
Sure. Bill Russell, Kareem, and Lebron IMO.
i could see an argument for Magic especially if his career was longer. small nod to Tim Duncan

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
4 days ago#8
Kareem doesn't really have a case because he missed playoffs in consecutive years during his prime.
He also only won with the greatest PGs in the game at the time.
Rookie Magic closed out the series without him and after that Kareem wasn't really the guy on the team for any other title.

Lebron failed to deliver on multiple occasions.

Bill has a case if you just look at the winning, but it was so long ago.

Imo, Wilt has the best case if you just look at the ability, he was an absolute monster.

User Info: Punchsmack

Punchsmack
4 days ago#9
JamesOwnzMaz posted...
I think because he was just discussed sooo much people starting taking Jordan for granted and forgot just how perfect he was

Perfect?

Three first round exits, including two sweeps.
Two second round exits.
Two third round exits.
Quit on his team during his prime.
One of those second round exits came when he returned from his gambling suspen...baseball fantasy camp and got bounced by Shaq's Magic 4-2 (people forget he wasn't out two full seasons, he came back to play over a month [17 games] before the playoffs).
Again, he quit on his team (twice).
Missing the playoffs in the east for two seasons while with the Wizards.
Played for the Wizards.
That's 10 seasons he missed the Finals (9 he played and the 1 he skipped out on). I'm not counting the three seasons he didn't play between the Bulls and Wizards, which could be counted if you want to paint it worse.

He's on the Mount Rushmore of greatest NBA players of all time and he's in the #1 position there too, but he wasn't perfect.

If you want to make a case to say he's not the GOAT, you could form the argument. Magic/Bird/Lebron are amazing all-around basketball players. They were/are 10-tool players that could play and defend any position (Lebron can't shoot free throws and it wasn't he lost to the Mavs did he realize he needed to play with anger more, so he's not perfect either). Not saying MJ was trash, but he wasn't able to do EVERYTHING like them. In today's game, maybe that's not necessary since there are no more big men to defend, but within his era, he couldn't do it all like they could. Also, MJ wasn't that great from three (32% career). Of course, it was a different era and players weren't supposed to be jacking up threes every other possession. We'll never know how he'd play in this three dominant era (he'd probably adapt with ease, but there's no guarantee). Also, Kobe was damn close to MJ, since they played the same position and had the same mentality.

He's still the GOAT and this is coming from a Cleveland/Lebron fan. However, the gap between MJ and the rest of the field isn't as big as everyone thinks.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uhhh....your opinion man."
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: Sonicplys

Sonicplys
4 days ago#10
Steph Curry. And championships don't mean s***. It's just a prop.
SF Giants, SF 49ers, GS Warriors, SJ Sharks.
The 2010 to 2022 Game of the Decade: Greatest game of all time/ever made: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate AKA Smash 4.8
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - NBA
  3. Is there a case for anyone besides Jordan as GOAT?
  • Post New Message