• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Unpacking It: My Hero Academia
FortePlus 1 month ago#1
My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia) is a shonen series that runs in Weekly Shonen Jump. Authored and drawn chiefly by Kohei Horikoshi.

The uniqueness of MHA as it is known in shorthand comes mainly from its visuals: bold and bright schemes, a style heavily borrowing from American comic books, heroes in American-style costumes and a whole system where good guys and bad guys battle for supremacy. The core of it is familiar as it is with everything of this type.

The speed of developments mirrors that of contemporaries such as Demon Slayer and Black Clover - fast, snappy, exciting and down to business on the whole. The themes and inspiration of the series leans on past pillars of WSJ, such as Naruto and One Piece. You have the usual character archetypes, the relationships, the emotional pull of the story. Things that when put together produce a work that strives to be classic and remembered by generations of readers. MHA has succeeded at several of these goals. It's an international favourite, perennially near the top of manga rankings and competing with titans like One Piece at this point, though it is dwarfed by the half as long/thrice as bright supergiant star called Demon Slayer and more recent megahits like Jujutsu Kaisen.

We can talk about what makes it work but I doubt most people will have a grasp on it, no matter how low the bar sits near the ground. We should talk about interesting stuff instead over a few posts or so. If you want to participate feel free, you're just not going to be acknowledged if you say something stupid, I don't like you, or both.
[Hero of Canuckistan] - king bully. // I am reclaimer of my name. Born in flames, I have been blessed!
BET makes my brain cry.~ Gnorry
FortePlus 1 month ago#2
Deku is a character who draws from many sources without landing in any one safe spot. His existence is tenuous for that reason.

The ability to be vulnerable yet strong at the same time is something hard to pull off a lot of the time. Horikoshi doesn't quite nail it with Deku. He is good enough to carry on with, more than good enough compared to contemporary jump offerings, but he again sits in a strange space where Deku isn't fully realized. If you want a direct comparison to the character that Deku is trying to be, Tanjiro from Demon Slayer is your guy. He is the type of emotional, driven character that hits the balance of Jump protagonist with an earnest, likable personality that makes people want to follow his journey, if not root for him.

It again comes down to stability, in the simplest terms. Contrary to what you might have been told, Deku's crying or whatever isn't the problem. The problem is Deku's follow through, something that Tanjiro carries and Deku is often missing pieces of. And that sort of fumbling makes events fall flat when they shouldn't. The evolution of the Manchester Smash series was sloppy as a result of this waffling - the message and understanding was lost in translation because Deku as a character was too many places at once. All Might's successor trying to be his own person is an easy to understand idea, the way it came out however just muddled a lot of things.

However, this isn't a fatal flaw because we've seen it work before. The confident and slick Deku we saw in his skirmish with Gentle Criminal is an example of the potential that watching his growth could have, what happens when there's a solid mix of battle shonen determination and emotional weight to the character. Enough of that can excuse a lot, and open up the story in general. Deku throughout the manga has lacked a lot of these moments, built up not just by putting his feet to the fire but by doing things like making him less shaky on the page the deeper we went into the series. Those parts are fine for wind downs or sight gags and such, but a more "stable" Deku instead of that side just coming out in desperation moments would have made things go down a bit easier.

I might do some more posts. Probably talking about the supporting cast next.
[Hero of Canuckistan] - king bully. // I am reclaimer of my name. Born in flames, I have been blessed!
User_94 1 month ago#3
FortePlus posted...
The speed of developments mirrors that of contemporaries such as Demon Slayer and Black Clover - fast, snappy, exciting and down to business on the whole.
Is it tho? The biggest problem with MHA is the series not knowing whether to focus on the school life portions or All for One. This just makes the school parts drag for anyone looking for plot. Now that Hori is rushing to a conclusion, the school bits end up feeling half-ass since Deku hasn't even graduate yet or start his final year.
FortePlus 1 month ago#4
People keep saying it's dragged because of school stuff but I don't agree with that and never will. If it bored you that's something else but the story has flown from place to place well before the recent speed up.

As for the school stuff I look forward to it whenever it does happen. So I don't have an unbiased opinion on that either.
Ararararararagi 1 month ago#5
We could just talk about the superior Fire Force instead.
http://tinyurl.com/h7pbdbp
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Tomo-Tomo
YoungMutual 1 month ago#6
FortePlus posted...
uniqueness of MHA
I lol'd
YoungMutual
Skandrae 1 month ago#7
I vastly prefer the school stuff.

99% of super-powered school shows just use the school as window dressing and immediately have the kids somehow be the only ones available to save the world.

MHA, for a long time, avoided that by actually having school stuff be important and getting to see the kids exercise and grow and most major threats actually ended up being taken care of by the adults.

Of course, now it's gone down the route of every other manga ever but it was pretty unique for a while there.
Witty game-related comment.
Totally_Ruined 1 month ago#8
MHA was only good up until after the All Might vs AFO fight. Then it became directionless and boring. Deku's probably the worst protagonist in modern shonen.

Pick a good series next time like Black Clover.
YoungMutual 1 month ago#9
Totally_Ruined posted...
MHA was only good up until after the All Might vs AFO fight. Then it became directionless and boring. Deku's probably the worst protagonist in modern shonen.

Pick a good series next time like Black Clover.
Careful, being right is frowned upon here
YoungMutual
Ararararararagi 1 month ago#10
AM vs AFO is like the worst part, though. It was at its peak in S2 and S4 respectively when it focused on school stuff and what it meant to be a hero, whether that be through Stain's questioning or Gentle's predicament as well as w/e Yakuza's dude's name was. It's at its worse in S3 and S5 when it tries to pretend to be this big superhero drama and does it horribly. It's focus is the characters and its large cast -- that it handles poorly at that -- so when it's NOT focused on them and is instead focused on its "world" as a whole, it's just as a bad as most comic books.

Black Clover is about the "world" and "characters". MHA is about the characters and symbolic meaning of being a hero; not its big, bombastic "fights". S5 actually DOES focus on the student aspect for the first half of the season, but speaking strictly in terms of the anime, it was horribly paced and padded out because of those s***-tier movies they keep making that never work because they miss the core focus of MHA just like S3 did. The rest of it spends a little bit too much time on a single character -- Endeavor -- which is why the filler episode was like the only good one, and then when we get to the villains they get shafted and have their content rushed through. If anything, the material covered in S5 was more or less what MHA is good at, but BONES boned it.

In terms of the Mango, the "war" was p. bad and went on for far too long from what I recall, only having a few good moments here and there like with Hawks. I've read up to where Deku goes back to the school and Gravity gives her speech. I thought edge-Deku was bad but the Deku Retrieval Arc -- the class saving him + the Gravity speech -- was p. good. I stopped there though.
http://tinyurl.com/h7pbdbp
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Tomo-Tomo
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Unpacking It: My Hero Academia
  • Topic Archived