This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Why Anime fans and Sub purist only like Classic anime dubs ?

User Info: farhanawesome

farhanawesome
2 months ago#1
I think the current english dub especially on current Simuldubbed anime since 2016 were not have a big impact to their fans than the early 00's to early 2010 no matter how good the dub VA is and the talent pool for english dub is expanding thanks for the remote recording.most of fans and some website always mentioning the dub of classic anime that they always recommend to watch like Cowboy Bebop, Dragon ball Franchise, Fullmetal Alchemist and Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Yu Yu Hakusho, Samurai Champloo, Gurren lagann, FLCL, Ghost Stories ( Many fans like and defend the dubs when the dubs using Politic, religion and Sex reference rather than accurate to the script because the misinformation that the japanese told them to do so ) and Space Dandy ( the only modern dubs that was often discussed until now) and not many people mention modern dubs like AOT, SAO, OPM, or any Isekai anime like Rezero, Konosuba and Shield Hero because of fans prefer watch it in sub rather than the dub.

I dont understand why the classic dubbed always being favoured by many anime fans and sub purist than the modern dubs, is it the quality that makes fans think the classic dub being the best than modern dubs

User Info: Crimsonmon

Crimsonmon
2 months ago#2
Just because I watch subs doesn't mean I'm gonna read that wall of text
In a good way.

User Info: Norse Mage121

Norse Mage121
2 months ago#3
people mention the old dubs because they were
A. what they saw first
B. generally enhance the show

while OPM, SAO and AOTs dubs simply 'get the job done' and aren't particularly memorable. they don't add anything to the experience while also coming out months/years after everyone already watched the shows

'classic' dubs also generally felt like there was more time and effort put into their scripts because it was understood that you had to adapt the shows for a western audience. 'modern' dubs are often just english VAs reading the subtitles to you.

isekai shows only appeal to otaku degenerates and losers, so they don't care about dubs to begin with, and people who like good shows don't talk about isekais.
Norse: It's a Kind of Magic.
This post contains the sub-message [ **** knockin'. Let me in! ].

User Info: ShizumaHanazono

ShizumaHanazono
2 months ago#4
1- Nostalgia
2- Actually, generally higher efforts from VA than in recent dubs. You have to choose between better more dynamic dubs but much less accurate script, or nowadays, generally more accurate script but much worse voice acting

As far as I'm aware Cowboy Bebop is a special case because the Japanese dub chose to do something very weird with the main character switching between goofy and serious voice and nobody liked that IIRC, and Ghost Stories is an entirely different case all together because it's a complete rewrite of the dialogue

Space Dandy is talked about because it aired on US TV first

3- This was also the era where people in general probably watched a lot of these on TV, and/or didn't watch stuff subbed yet. Nowadays everyone knows that dubs are subpar, people wants good VA and an accurate script and the dub ain't giving both and actually really good dubs are a rarity, so people have completely stopped bothering with them

User Info: CreekCo

CreekCo
2 months ago#5
Crimsonmon posted...
Just because I watch subs doesn't mean I'm gonna read that wall of text

Lol, facts plus what the other two posters said. Heck, even Strike the Blood's sub was better before Crunchyroll went corporate and changed it. Better times....
All we have to do, is take these lies and make them true somehow
All we have to see, is that I don't belong to you and you don't belong to me -- Freedom '90 GM.

User Info: Amy Chao

Amy Chao
2 months ago#6
Don't people trash dubs like slayers and utena?

User Info: yumeko

yumeko
2 months ago#7
Cowboy Bebop and FLCL are the only ones you listed I'd say are seriously good. And, if anything, dubs were WORSE back then, so ones that were genuinely good stood out. So that's not to say there aren't good dubs nowadays, but on average, I'm still gonna just prefer subs.

Think about it like this-- the moment you have an Eng dub, this automatically means there's an equivalent JP dub available. If I'm normally going to prefer sub and they tend to be available first, why would I make the effort to watch dubs?

User Info: Bako Ikporamee

Bako Ikporamee
2 months ago#8
Newer dubs are lower effort and kowtow to weeaboos who want translations to be "accurate" (aka literal and bad).
Official "Bako Ikporamee" of GameFAQs
https://www.leetshoe.com | https://twitter.com/leetshoedotcom

User Info: Rharyx211

Rharyx211
2 months ago#9
Because they're the ones they watched as kids before they knew what subs were, so they're obviously better.
Watch "Final Fantasy XV Abridged" and "Kingdom Hearts Abridged" right here!
https://www.youtube.com/user/mcknett3

User Info: Calwings

Calwings
2 months ago#10
farhanawesome posted...
I dont understand why the classic dubbed always being favoured by many anime fans and sub purist than the modern dubs, is it the quality that makes fans think the classic dub being the best than modern dubs

Those people are walking a fine line of having nostalgia for those dubs when they were a kid but also wanting to maintain their facade of sub elitism.

yumeko posted...
if anything, dubs were WORSE back then, so ones that were genuinely good stood out.

This is the truth right here. For every Cowboy Bebop or FMA Brotherhood, there were a dozen s***ty dubs lazily thrown together just to be able to sell the show in the west... and that's without even talking about censorship dragging some decent dubs (like Yugioh and Cardcaptors) down into bad dubs. Streaming services like Funimation and Netflix have made anime far more accessible to far more people now, so having a good English dub is important to attract that larger and more casual audience, therefore they put more effort into making those dubs good. There's a larger pool of English VA's, those VA's are better on average than they used to be, and there's better directing and decision making going into dubs as well.

Yes, watching subbed is still better on average, and you're not likely to convince people who have been watching subbed for 10-15 years to switch. But the gap between sub and dub quality has shrunk considerably, and more shows get good dubs than bad dubs in this day and age.
''Someday I too will fly... and find you again!''
https://imgur.com/PfJxO7u
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Why Anime fans and Sub purist only like Classic anime dubs ?
  • Topic Archived