This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Regarding the digimon anime series *spoilers in case*

User Info: cheatermaster

cheatermaster
2 months ago#1
In general the first two digimon seasons, the Tri movies and the Last Evolution movie all take place in the same universe (I guess also the two movies that have Diaboromon as well). The other seasons take place in different universes or something. But with the Tri movies they had an antagonist called Dark Gennai who was thought to work for Yggdrasil the super computer (and I guess the god of the digital world). Dark Gennai does a lot of despicable things, then it sort of turns out he didn't work for Yggdrasil. But at the end of the last Tri movie he gets away with everything and plans on doing it again by trying to get Diaboromon or Daemon's data. He even still had Apocalymon's data. But all in all he gets away with everything, he's the bad guy wins, even a "karma houdini".

Had hoped the Last Evolution is about Dark Gennai but it ended up being about something different. Instead it had a different human antagonist and a digimon called Eosmon. The movie literally felt like it abandoned the Dark Gennai plot. I even started to wonder if Last Evolution really is the "grand finale" to the original Adventure series. Hell the movie also never goes further with Alphamon and Maki. Honestly I was pissed that they abandoned the Dark Gennai plot they had in the Tri movies and am hoping they might go back to the original Adventure series.

I also remember in the second season Kari was taken to a place called the Dark Ocean ruled by some dark master. Ended up finding out it was a digimon called Dagomon. But throughout season 2 they never went anywhere with Dagomon. Hell, Daemon (well, heard his original is just Demon, but I believe english version calls him Creepymon) appears but it felt like he was completely pointless. All he did was try to get some dark seed out of Ken and that's it. I even thought he was the main villain. Instead of Daemon being the main, it was Myotismon again.

Is it me or does the digimon anime keep having these plots, but suddenly they abandoned it completely for something else?! Because they kind of abandoned the Dark Gennai plot from the Tri movies in the Last Evolution movie, they even abandoned the whole thing with Maki and Alphamon, they even didn't go anywhere with Dagomon and the Dark Ocean, and the whole thing with Daemon felt pointless. It's like they try to make a plot, but all of a sudden they lost interest and decided to go with something else, leaving the plot unfinished.

User Info: Nintendoomed89

Nintendoomed89
2 months ago#2
The (very short) answer is that several different directors and writers all had their fingers in the series at various points in its production and all had different ideas of where they wanted it to go. This has led to a number of dropped plot lines, inconsistent writing and sometimes people just straight up shoving their own headcanon into the series where they could. Adventure 02 saw the worst of this since it had several staff changes throughout its run, but it affected Tri and Last Evolution too. The original Adventure had the same creative team from beginning to end which is one of the reasons it's one of the stronger entries in the entire franchise.
You put the Peeps in the chili pot and eat 'em both up /You put the Peeps in the chili pot and add the M&Ms. https://youtu.be/2c-AawAKZ14

User Info: Crimsonmon

Crimsonmon
2 months ago#3
Japan doesn't care about continuity and canon that much, especially for 20+ year old series

You'll feel better if you stop caring about it too
In a good way.

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
2 months ago#4
Why should they care about continuity since as long as they shove original adventure kids in it would sell?
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: Dracoknight2006

Dracoknight2006
2 months ago#5
Adventure is a pile of plotholes and "too many cooks spoil the broth".
Who shall rise and become the anime villain of this decade?

cheatermaster
2 months ago#6
It's because it's different writers and directors, and it's also because they just don't care about canon and continuity which is why a number of plots in the digimon anime gets dropped?

User Info: Son Goku X

Son Goku X
2 months ago#7
The biggest problem with having different writers isn't even the dropped plot points, it's that they're basically recycling the same subplots with a different character. All of Tri. is literally just Ryo + Millenniumon but with a girl + cat instead.

It's pretty much the same problem as the big name comics, a new writer wants to do their own fancy take on things but since characters were around for most likely 50 years, they're just doing the same thing but worst.

Maki's subplot was pretty much done, she did all this shady stuff to reverse time and see her Digimon again. Digimon doesn't recognize her and she failed (then she got taken by Cthulhu). Was it done well? Nope!

Alphamon was around to murder the Demon Cat, the Demon Cat was murdered at the end so there was no point of Alphamon being around.

Plus Jesmon + Alphamon were too strong compared to the main cast anyways. There was really no way they could keep Alphamon around as an enemy and not have the main cast get murdered unless Alphamon decides to get bored and leave.

Just the impact of Alphamon and Jesmon trading hits in their fight devolved Omegamon so I doubt even Merciful Mode can do anything (as Jesmon casually wrecked the Demon Cat Angel while Merciful Mode had to do some big fancy attack).

User Info: Amy Chao

Amy Chao
2 months ago#8
Is the only reason they are doing an adventure au reboot cause that's the only part of the franchise people care about?

cheatermaster
2 months ago#9
So again, that's why they abandoned plots when it comes with the anime series? Like different writers and recycling plots? In fact, does this mean they will never go back to conclude the Dark Gennai plot? Because it seems like he has some darker and grand scheme going on since he has Apocalymon's data and is planning on going after Diaboromon and Daemon's data.

User Info: Dracoknight2006

Dracoknight2006
2 months ago#10
Digimon Adventure's original timeline is f***ed with all the retcons.
Who shall rise and become the anime villain of this decade?
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Regarding the digimon anime series *spoilers in case*
  • Topic Archived