This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Where do you feel Isekai worldbuilding fails the most?

User Info: Onime_no_Ryu

Onime_no_Ryu
1 month ago#1
Is it the lack of variety in the fantasy environment--it's always the same Grassy Field, Dark Forest, Evil Volcano, populated by the same tall slender Elves, short drunk Dwarves, and horny gray-skinned Demons?

Is it the lack of forethought put into a world that literally runs on RPG mechanics? Questions that are never answered like: Can I break my neck by falling and still be fine as long as my HP isn't zero? Are people with spinal injuries permanently under the Paralysis status condition? Does raising the Strength stat increase muscle mass?

Is it the society or government of the fantasy world? Discrepancies in the presentation of a monarchy or questions around what all these nobles actually do? Or why all the peasantry seem to own their own homes instead of sleeping 6 families to a dung-cottage on a share-crop?

Of course, things like this always reach a point where "muh worldbuilding" is just pointless fluff that doesn't impact the plot or the characters. Maybe that's where it fails the hardest, the lack of impact the world itself has on the story--it could happen anywhere, or it doesn't even need to be an isekai, and so on. I'm interested in other's thoughts on the subject.

User Info: Buretsu

Buretsu
1 month ago#2
It fails the most in that, generally speaking, it doesn't. The world is the way it is, because it is that way, and nobody ever puts more than a single second's thought into it. Things like Stats, Skills, Spells, Levels are just things that exist in these worlds, because it's an easy way for the author to relate things to the audience. It's like why power levels are a thing in Dragonball, even they're shown, over and over to the point of memery, to be bulls***. Because 'hahaha big number goes BRRRRR'.

That's why I like works like "Lv 999 no Murabito" (which isn't strictly an isekai story, I don't think) or <Spoiler Redacted> because they actually make the existence of this sort of a system into a major plot element.
Last Game Beaten: Persona 5: Royal Currently Playing: Valkyria Chronicles 4
Most Looking Forward To: Great Ace Attorney Collection

User Info: FortePlus

FortePlus
1 month ago#3
not enough lolis
[Hero of Canuckistan] - king bully. // I'm a bomb that you can't defuse; why not accept you're gonna lose?
BET makes my brain cry.~ Gnorry

User Info: sou

sou
1 month ago#4
Most of the time Isekai is just a plot tool to get away from real life logic & moral.
Also to make Isekai ppl braindeads so MC can be praised by real life common sense.
Fate/Grand Order ID: 595679632 & 111275065
PSN ID: SOU_TENJIN

User Info: Bako Ikporamee

Bako Ikporamee
1 month ago#5
Isekais don't need world building
The whole point of taking a guy aware of genre tropes into a fantasy world is so you don't have to waste time on that
Official "Bako Ikporamee" of GameFAQs
https://www.leetshoe.com

User Info: Crimsonmon

Crimsonmon
1 month ago#6
More "demon lords" than video games have ever had
In a good way.

User Info: darealest47

darealest47
1 month ago#7
Is world building even an actual concept?

Feels like a bastardized word to me that a certain fanbase from a neverending shonen made up
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec

FortePlus
1 month ago#8
WARUDObuilding is a well known and worn out nerd term and yeah it's super f***ing obnoxious
[Hero of Canuckistan] - king bully. // I'm a bomb that you can't defuse; why not accept you're gonna lose?

User Info: darealest47

darealest47
1 month ago#9
Obnoxious indeed...like what the f*** is world building even supposed to mean or present? All series takes place in some made up 'world' as said world is continuous building as the plot develops...like writing 101

It just seems overly pointless to even bring up, no disrespect to the TC as this rant is directed towards shonenfriend mainly
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec

FortePlus
1 month ago#10
It's like, you know how people nitpick battle shonen for not detailing every single thing or displaying all parts of the world and stuff, and then they cry about plot holes and how shallow things are
that's what people who care so much about worldbuilding are like except worse. like not just the stuff that should be explained and built but a lot of details that aren't all that important in the long run, or things that get explained but not to their exact liking &c
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Where do you feel Isekai worldbuilding fails the most?
  • Topic Archived