This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. English dub is terrible for One Piece

User Info: ViewtifulGrave

ViewtifulGrave
1 month ago#61
NightMareBunny posted...
a character's action and behavior is all we have to go off of for a voice in manga

How often are we told in a manga something like "this man sounds like this" or "that woman sounds likes that"

not every character gets that and so you have to piece together a voice with what the creator gives you in terms of how the character moves acts and how the character's dialogue plays into that
In other words you lied.
You enjoy teaching high schoolers, and I'll enjoy creating my crappy manga. Let's see where we both are in a year. TheDoorMouse
Update http://imgur.com/vz0c9xf

User Info: NightMareBunny

NightMareBunny
1 month ago#62
ViewtifulGrave posted...
In other words you lied.

can you read? apparently not so I'll have to say it again

"a character's action and behavior is all we have to go off of for a voice in manga

How often are we told in a manga something like "this man sounds like this" or "that woman sounds likes that"

not every character gets that and so you have to piece together a voice with what the creator gives you in terms of how the character moves acts and how the character's dialogue plays into that"

luffy's actions and behavior paint him as someone that can be loud and obnoxious

Booping In The Scoop

User Info: ViewtifulGrave

ViewtifulGrave
1 month ago#63
NightMareBunny posted...
luffy is suppose to have a grating voice How do people forget that?
Admit you made this up.
You enjoy teaching high schoolers, and I'll enjoy creating my crappy manga. Let's see where we both are in a year. TheDoorMouse
Update http://imgur.com/vz0c9xf

User Info: Lupin the 4th

Lupin the 4th
1 month ago#64
As a One Piece fan that tends to prefer dubs a lot of the time, I think the dub is good but not phenomenal. The Japanese voice actors for Luffy, Sanji, and especially Franky just feel far superior in their delivery and overall voices in the case of the latter two.

Franky in particular stands out as his Japanese voice actor just adds a ton of energy to the role. You can tell he's having a lot of fun with it. Meanwhile his English voice just sounds like a generic big guy number three. His acting isn't bad but I just don't hear Franky when I hear him speak.
The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again! Ha Ha Ha!)
3DS FC: 2793 0791 3739 PSN: Arsene_Lupin_IV

User Info: BlueHairVegeta

BlueHairVegeta
1 month ago#65
NMB really came into this topic just to troll huh. At Forte in here spittin' facts.
Welcome back

User Info: LightningAce11

LightningAce11
1 month ago#66
Doesn't Yuri Lowenthal still voice Sasuke in Boruto?
I want you to grab your nuts. Grab your balls. I want you to take a handful, and just grab your nuts real quick. Swivel 'em around in a circular motion.
-LTG

User Info: Vulcan422

Vulcan422
1 month ago#67
Dracoknight2006 posted...
I feel that dub monopolies and ever growing egos have poisoned the well.
They definitely have. The western anime industry is perma-screwed at this point with no hope of ever being salvaged.
SF5: M. Bison, Urien, Seth | GGST: Nagoriyuki, Leo
I know the time of darkness will come someday, but I will fight it 'till the day I die!

User Info: RogueJedi86

RogueJedi86
1 month ago#68
LightningAce11 posted...
Doesn't Yuri Lowenthal still voice Sasuke in Boruto?
Yup, and Steve Blum is still Orochimaru. Everyone reprised their roles for Boruto except Quinton Flynn as Iruka, who was replaced by I believe Kyle McCarley, and Travis Willingham as Jugo (the red-haired nature guy who worked for Orochimaru and Sasuke), replaced by Kyle Hebert.

Yuri Lowenthal has been around for ages too. He's been teen Ben in the Ben 10 cartoons since Alien Force, one of the most frequent voices of Spider-Man (including the recent PS4 games), and long before that I bet a lot of us would remember him as the Prince in "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time", which has to be nearly 20 years old itself. He's another one of those VAs who has been around forever and gets plenty of videogame and cartoon jobs, but still voices in anime. He's not even a union voice actor either, if his participation in the non-union Bleach dub is anything to go by.
"Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan, is now an enemy of the Republic. Do what must be done. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy."
(message deleted)

User Info: Krazy_Kirby

Krazy_Kirby
1 month ago#70
BlueHairVegeta posted...
NMB really came into this topic just to troll huh. At Forte in here spittin' facts.

no, that's just him. he used to post on potd all the time, and would end up closing his topics after multiple people would point out how wrong/bad his opinion was
Kill From The Shadows.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. English dub is terrible for One Piece
  • Topic Archived